Search Unity

No Paypal anymore in the asset store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RandAlThor, Aug 19, 2011.

1. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

No Paypal anymore in the asset store?
    I can now only checkout now with credit card.

Or is there a way and i do it wrong somewhere?

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unhappily you seem to be right.

Thats a major dealbreaker as I'm not willing to pay digital goods for work through CC as my payments come in on PayPal

Can someone from UT please comment on why you stepped back that much?

See no good one as currency conversions aren't a topic as you can have multiple ones in a business account and the processing fees for sure can't be it either as CCs come at 3-4% too but with magnitudes higher fees for any dispute than the $0 at paypal (was something like $20 per refund incident and lots of headache, not 1 click)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. Jaimi

Jaimi

I've always paid through paypal. This is disturbing, not sure I'd be comfortable using a different payment processor. I like PayPal because it drafts my checking account instantly (not an echeck), and because I occasinally get paid using paypal.

4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

5. kerters

kerters

This must be a bad joke ?!
    Is this official ?

6. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

I went to Asset Store today to buy stuff and can't, because no Pay Pal. Bad move

7. Ullukai

Ullukai

8. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

It look like active den also let me buy things only with credit card.

I have no credit card and so i can not buy here or there.

No money from me anymore!

9. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Well if you want to use paypal to sell your assets you'll pry need to use another vendor like I do. I never really liked the asset store any ways. I use e-junkie cause they only charge a monthly fee and its really cheap and you when you sign up you get a week free trial. I put my Items on e-junkie they give me the html code I copy that code into my webs website page where my store is and all is good. But this does suck tho cause now I can't buy things I need for my games :(

10. Ullukai

Ullukai

@slkjdfv maybe we can use prepaid credit cards ? like gift cards though ?

11. niosop2

niosop2

If they did drop PayPal support, I could totally see why. They aren't a bank, so aren't bound by any banking regulations. The result of this is that they can (and frequently do) lock your account for "account reviews". If you just have a few hundred in there, it's usually not a big deal, just wait a week or two for them to finish their review, then you can withdraw funds again. If you are relying on that cash to be available though, it can really piss you off.

12. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Yea maybe but I pay for nearly everything with paypal so this really sucks for me. And any one else who pays with paypal.

13. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

No paypal anymore? This must be a joke! :D

14. Ullukai

Ullukai

yikes , i hope they fix it

15. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

yea so do i

16. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

You guys need to stop acting so entitled.

Paypal is a terrible company. On a whim, it can limit Unity's account and hold all of their cash for the next 180 days if they so choose. They can also demand proof of where all these payments are coming from and in doing so, Unity would have to show all of your private details in order to show that payments to their account are legit.

There is nothing to fix here.

17. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Just because they can doesn't mean they do. I mean how may people has paypal done this to honestly?

18. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

Ask Notch how he felt while they kept 600.000 Dollars frozen that he wanted to invest in his company.

19. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Thats notch tho I doubt any one here has made that much. Also to avoid that he could have sent some of that to his bank to keep his paypal below a certain amount. All I'm saying is is certain people rely on paypal and its the only way some of us can pay for things.

20. niosop2

niosop2

A lot. Dead Frontier dumped them because they did this to them. I've had my account locked for review (but with only a few hundred in there, it wasn't more than an annoyance to me). All in all, PayPal blows, but we don't even know yet if Unity has dropped support for PayPal or if it's just a temporary issue.

21. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

This is bad, i want to buy some things, the money is ready and i can not :(

22. Ullukai

Ullukai

you try using a prepaid credit card or gift card ? do they work ?

23. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Yes, we are leaving paypal. The reason is that we want to implement 1-click purchasing so you don't have to be taken to an external site in order to verify your credit card. This we could not do with paypal.

With the new system, we are going though Bank of America - this means that every step of the way, your payments are join through fully compliant and licensed institutions. Your transfers are MORE secure with this new system.

There are a bunch of other improvements and general upcoming niceness that paypal stopped us from doing as well (Still secret; I'm really looking forward to showing what they are :)

We will still use paypal on the backend to deliver payments back to our users - but for frontend, it was just a crappy solution - the only thing they had going for it was that it was easy to implement.

24. niosop2

niosop2

Although I feel for the people who don't have any other options than PayPal, I'm glad you guys are leaving PayPal. If more companies stopped using them, maybe PayPal would pull their head out and stop screwing people.

For those who really want to use PayPal, have you looked into getting a PayPal debit card?

25. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

You will lost sales. At least, on my side. I know that is irrelevant for you, but for me, it's a very bad decision. You can implement the one click solution AND stay with Pay Pal for customers that want to still use it.

26. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@nicholas

And you could not tell this a week before for people who want to get something out of the store who do not have a credit card?
    Also i want to get the special price for some assets that i will not get even if i will get a credit card in the future because the option is off after this week like for visulizer studio i.e.

I know this is the companys decision but it is not customer friendly to act this way and i am not a customer who want to buy or has bought only one thing. You and the asset store partners earned some money alone from me.

Edit:
    I am with IndieStudio

27. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

sounds like a joke!
    sorry, but: no Paypal = no purchases !!! I will not buy with a credit card.

@all Asset Developer: Please create your own website (with paypal support) or use Turbosquid for selling your assets until unity offers paypal again.

28. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Then how do people get paid on the asset store? I've tryed linking my credit union to a couple things and even that gives me trouble this sucks.

29. kerters

kerters

So the Asset Store is officially credit card only... bad decision. :D

That will hurt not only the customers in the long turn.

You guys should consider leaving PayPal as a second option as IndieStudio mentioned.

30. arteria

arteria

I have a paypal card which is linked to my paypal account - its a great. Why not just get one of those so you can continue to still use paypal

Steve, Arteria3d

31. seikto

seikto

agree with IndieStudio...!! Its too bad for sellers and buyers,,,

32. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

Unity is a big company nowadays. I think the revenue from Asset Store is small for them. Who loose? The small vendors on Asset Store. They will loose for those who not want to by via CC. The loose 2 sales today, from me. I can say that.

33. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Maybe we should make a thread where all asset store partners who have an own site where we can buy with paypal can post theirs liks.

34. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

good for you when you live in USA. All payments outside of USA cost fees when using paypal card ! (or other credit card)
    - A cross border fee of 1.0% applies to payments received from senders in another country.
    - Payments requiring a currency conversion include a 2.5% fee.

THIS IS END OF THE ASSET STORE! Very sad! RIP

35. seikto

seikto

+1 M_Stolley

I just dont get it.why just dont leave it for second option.. there is no cost... ....

36. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@ Gaspedal

I think steve mean that unity then have both posibilitys not we as customers.

I hope i understand steve the right way ;)

37. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

http://www.shareit.com/ is a good alternate to selling codes tools. For 3d models I would use Turbosquid.

38. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

I agree.

39. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

not needed. All asset-aprtners should put a alternate link in their own asset-threads when they want to sell their assets.

40. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

great, just another reason to get even less sales..

41. ivanzu

ivanzu

Crap now i would have to register to tons of other websites just to buy something that costs 1$!

42. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Well no people could just integrate there stuff into their website. Like I did with my store.

43. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Also another reason for pirates.. They'll say "we dont have CC then we pirate!" etc.. Even for 5$ piece... :mad:
    You're doing wrong brotha..

44. saymoo

saymoo

so, to extend this, it will also mean that the unity store will become CC alone? (where you would be buying licenses for e.g. PRO and iphone etc..)
    if so, UT has a serious business problem (in the forseable future), because most people don't want to pay by CC online. (and paypal is a nice in between solution still. Just a click'n'buy etc)
    Also many European citizens don't have a CC at all, they have a normal bank card, so you're loosing a lot of purchase potentials in the EU.

45. ivanzu

ivanzu

46. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

I thought they didn't accept paypal either

47. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@ivanzu

Some weeks ago i ordered some things at active den and payed with paypal and today i want to do also but now inside paypal they want a credit card too.

48. arteria

arteria

49. ivanzu

ivanzu

Agh too bad.

50. sleglik

sleglik