Search Unity

No Package Manager in Window menu for 2018.2

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Lynxed, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Lynxed

Lynxed

I upgraded my project from 2018.1.f1 to 2018.20f2.
    There are two errors after the upgrade:

Assets/TextMesh Pro/Examples/Scripts/TMP_DigitValidator.cs(12,39): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `TMP_InputValidator' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

and

Assets/Scripts/PlayerControl/PlayerController.cs(83,13): error CS1070: The type `UnityEngine.CharacterController' has been forwarded to an assembly that is not referenced. Enable the built in package 'Physics' in the Package Manager window to fix this error.

My Winndow menu looks like this:

upload_2018-7-10_18-42-33.png

So, there is no way to open Package Manager and enable "Physics" package. Please help. What should i do?

alireza97 likes this.
  2. Lynxed

Lynxed

Deleting "Packages" folder from project helped get rid of the errors, but.
    Although TextMeshPro text is not visible anymore.

noemis likes this.
  3. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

4. Lynxed

Lynxed

@okcompute_unity Rolled back to .1.7f1, because Ctrl+anykey combinations don't work in editor in .2 versions for me. I also just updated from .1.7f1 to .2.1 and back again because of the same issue. I doubt any logs survived, sorry.

5. ScottAdams

ScottAdams

We had the same issue on one of our machines. Removing Packages folder resolved the error as well. Thanks Lynxed!

theolagendijk and noemis like this.
  6. zenasprime

zenasprime

I've been having this issue as well a number of different projects. I'm currently working in Unity 2018.2.0.f2. Deleting the Packagers folder in the Finder resolves the issue.

JJRuiz likes this.
  7. Fobri

Fobri

8. Arcanebits

Arcanebits

Im using Unity 2018.2.11f1 (64-bit), and yes... Deleting the Packages folder (that in my case was empty "or with hidden stuff") Fixed de Issue.

9. MildaGenius2

MildaGenius2

I have probably the same problem in Unity 2018.2.14f1 on Mac.

Code (CSharp):
    1. error CS1070: The type `UnityEngine.ParticleSystem' has been forwarded to an assembly that is not referenced. Consider adding a reference to assembly `UnityEngine.ParticleSystemModule, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
    If I delete Packages folder, the error disappears in Editor. But when I run command line Android build, it appears again.

In My case Package manager is visible in Editor and ParticleSystem is enabled.

10. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

@okcompute_unity I publish on the asset store and I'm investigating the best solutions for customers workflow, this is still persistent in 2018.3, is there a planned fix?

11. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Fobri

Sorry for responding so late. Probably this answer won't help you now but maybe it will help others.

Here are the two errors causing issues in your project:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Misc/navmesh/NavMeshComponents/Scripts/NavMeshLink.cs(43,9): error CS1070: The type `UnityEngine.AI.NavMeshLinkInstance' has been forwarded to an assembly that is not referenced. Enable the built in package 'AI' in the Package Manager window to fix this error.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. C:/Users/veeti/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.2.3/Scripts/Runtime/PackageResourceImporterWindow.cs(20,16): error CS1070: The type `UnityEngine.GUISkin' has been forwarded to an assembly that is not referenced. Enable the built in package 'IMGUI' in the Package Manager window to fix this error.
    The error message explains how to fix the issue. If you cannot access the package manager ui, you need to add these dependencies in the project manifest (/<project path>/Packages/manifest.json):

"dependencies": {
    "com.unity.modules.ai": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.modules.imgui": "1.0.0",
    }

This issue is being fixed as we speak. In other words, we will enable a package to set *built-in* package dependencies. These packages will be automatically added to the project when a package depends on it (eg TextMeshPro depending on IMGUI built-in package).

Pascal

12. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Stephen_O Yes, we are actively working on fixing this issue.

*Note*: It may not be possible to backport all the fixes in 2018.3 as some of them may require major sub-systems refactoring.

Regards,

Pascal

Stephen_O likes this.
  13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Glad to hear, thanks for the response.

Not sure if this helps at all, but I found the main cause of my problem was importing the manifest.json from 2018.1.6 project was what caused things to break. Likely since the manifest does not include the the now default packages from 2018.3 that were not part of the system in 2018.1.6

If Unity could parse and compare the new json to the default before loading it and then adjust for the diffs between the two, it might be sufficient - not sure if that's a feasible solution, but merging manifests might work well without the need to refactor anything.

As a publisher my solution was to Upload 2018.3 version to resolve issues with the Unity package manager json not supporting importing a previous Unity version of the package manager json.

14. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Stephen_O This is really strange. We have an update system in place that should take care of bumping your project packages to compatible version automatically. This system was introduced in 2018.2.

The only way I know the update system can be bypassed is when projects have an invalid version in the file
    /<project path>/ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt
    . This file persists the last editor version the project was opened with.

If you close your project, delete the file I mentioned above and re-open the project, does the project manifest (
    /<project path>/Pacakges/manifest.json
    ) get updated? (Make sure to make this change on a project you can break/mess with :) )

Pascal

15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

To be clear, I'm not looking for a solution for myself, but rather for more novice users - specifically my asset store customers.

My big support issue this past week is when someone who imports my 2018.1.6 project into a fresh 2018.3 project and the project is broken so they email me to let me know my work is broken and the error message they see is not actionable. I'd like for them to be able to import my asset and have it just work, especially since they are having a bad experience from the start of a new project and importing only my asset.

If you'd like to reproduce the bug you can import this asset https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...ver-racing-avatar-vehicle-controller-ai-54173 . A novice user does not know to search forums, etc. This is likely happening to a lot of users of other asset store projects from non 2018.3 versions too.

My current instruction to my customers is to apologize and ask them to start over and ignore importing the json from my asset import window (fortunately the package manager is not very relevant to my project at this point so omitting it does not break my asset). I'm also unable to omit this file from being uploaded to the asset store with my project, I've asked on that forum and did not get a reply.

I'm currently waiting for the update with the fix I submitted (2018.3 version) to be approved by the asset store, so anyone who's importing and using my asset is having a hard time right now. I'd like to avoid that if possible, unfortunately this was not really something I can control.

16. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

I see. Sorry to hear you had a deluge of support to deal with :(. There is one thing that I don't understand. How did you manage to get a Package Manager project manifest in your asset store package? I mean, this was a feature that was enabled by an internal developer to support sample project inside a Unity package. It was not supposed to be exposed externally. You should not have a project manifest inside your package. You said you fix it, what was the fix?

Regards,

Pascal

17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

My asset fix is still not approved, so it's not 100% fixed unfortunately.. more so I found a solution to provide support for the time and have a submission pending to fix the bug completely.

The fix was to submit a version that includes and supports the required json lines for an empty 2018.3 project.

Basically, I manually imported the live version on the store to get all project settings to a fresh 2018.3 project and omitted the 2018.1.6 package manager, then submitted my asset from 2018.3 in addition to the previously submitted 2018.1.6 version I have by default, so it has the proper manifest and should work on import.

When I create an empty 2018.1.6 project a manifest generated in `\ProjectName\Pakages\manifest.json`

Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.     "dependencies": {
    3.     }
    4. }
    This is how I started the last update for my asset, so it was auto-generated, and when uploading from the store I don't see a way to select or omit any project level files that I don't want included.

18. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Stephen_O Before anything. Could you please answer this:
    Maybe I should rephrase. Why do you need to sell your asset as a full project? We don't support this feature.

Pascal

19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Yes, selling complete projects is supported on the asset store, unless you're now informing me I need to quit selling my work? You should have a blog post letting publishers know this is no longer supported or allowed. Or inform complete project publisher directly.

I've been selling complete project based assets as a publisher for the last few years, it's the only way to get the project settings into the asset for a customer. And some have even been featured by the asset store in past promotions from previous years (like Level 11 for pro customers back in Unity 5), so you may want to also inform the asset store staff.

There's an entire section of complete assets.

I'f you click on the preview icon on the store you will see they all contain a project settings folder.

New Store: https://assetstore.unity.com/categories/templates

Old Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/search/page=1/sortby=popularity/query=category:1

Complete Projects.jpg

On the old store it was named complete projects, this is why I call it that.

Just to be clear, I ask for help about a bug that's causing a publishing issue now I'm told publishing complete projects is no longer supported by Unity Asset Store?

I feel like all this time since I've asked and answered your questions it's completely useless at this point since you're basically been telling me I'm not allowed to publish my work this way anymore and to explain myself and reasoning.

What about all the other complete project publishers, do they need to stop selling their work now too?

I guess I'm sorry for wasting your time too then since this is a non issue in Unity's eyes.

After a year+ of working on this past update, it getting stuck in a broken state from a Unity bug, and now I'm being told I can't sell anymore.. just amazing. Can I ask why please?

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello @Stephen_O

Apologies for the misunderstanding. You may continue to sell as a "complete project."

@okcompute_unity
    Hey Pascal,
    I think there is some misunderstanding of what a "complete project" is.
    It is used as a category on the Asset Store and it allows the upload of the manifest.

Its okay for users to use this category.

Kind Regards to All,
    Salvatore

Stephen_O likes this.
  21. manojbiswanath

manojbiswanath

The solution for the problem "No Package Manager in Window menu" is to close unity and then open it again. I am using Unity 2018.2.20f2 and it happened to me when I imported and built a new project. The "Package Manager" option was missing. Then I closed Unity and reopened it, the option was there inside the "Window" tab.

22. Inc4nuS

Inc4nuS

Deleting the Package folder solved the issues. Thanks!

23. AFrisby

AFrisby

Hi @okcompute_unity / @Salvatore_Unity -

I'm running into this issue as well, is there a way we can include a pre-configured Packages/manifest.json as part of the project?

We're getting "Enable the built in package 'Physics' in the Package Manager window to fix this error." and similar errors reported by users. (Aside: Why isn't unity just prompting to install the missing package? Cryptic messages in a console window most users never see is not exactly user friendly)

24. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @AFrisby ,

This issue was fixed in 2019.1 (i.e. built-in packages can be set as package dependencies so they will be installed automatically when needed). Deeply sorry about this cryptic message. This is how it should have been from the start.

Regards,

Pascal