Search Unity

No MSAA in Scene View with Unity 2018.2.0 and beyond

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ryan-challinor, Jan 21, 2019.

1. ryan-challinor

ryan-challinor

I'm in the process of updating a project from 2018.1.0 to 2018.2.19, and discovered that I no longer have antialiasing in the Scene View. I determined that this happened in Unity 2018.2.0. This can be verified by dropping a cube into a new project in 2018.1.9 and seeing the antialiasing in Scene View, and then dropping a cube into a new project in 2018.2.0 and seeing no antialiasing in Scene View.

I saw that the release notes for 2018.2.0 include this line item, which appears to explain the change:
    "-Graphics: Disabled msaa for sceneview. This fixes issues with sceneview selection and assure SRP compatibility with sceneview. (856883)"

Is there any way for me to re-enable MSAA in Scene View in 2018.2.19? A hidden config file somewhere? Updating to this new Unity version is a necessity for my project, but the artist on my team won't be very happy if he can't get an antialiased view of his work in Scene View.

guycalledfrank likes this.
  2. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

+1

I'm writing my shaders with MSAA/alpha2coverage in mind. One of the reasons I'm not keen on updating to newer Unity is this.

MichaelAtBaobab likes this.
  3. ColbySg89

ColbySg89

Is anti aliasing enabled in Quality settings? The built in MSAA is not going to work unless you enable anti aliasing in the Quality settings.

4. roka

roka

guycalledfrank likes this.
  5. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

It is set to 2x by default. Pre-2018 Unity seemed to respect that in scene view. Current versions only do that for game cameras.

6. ColbySg89

ColbySg89

I can't find anyway to change it in the newer versions. Is there any reason you don't want to use the new post processing stack in your project?

7. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Post-processing AA and MSAA are completely different technologies with different upsides and pitfalls. They are not always interchangeable.

8. ColbySg89

ColbySg89

Right but I don't see why the original issue can't be resolved by using the modern AA if they just want to be able to see the AA in the scene view.

9. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Even though PostAA is more "modern", it can't replace MSAA. MSAA is a hardware feature and it brings other valuable things like alpha to coverage.

10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

upload_2019-5-28_15-45-58.png

upload_2019-5-28_15-46-50.jpeg

Everybody hates MSAA.

11. roka

roka

StellarVeil likes this.
  12. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

This can't be for real. Just when I give up on getting realistic on graphics because Unity ditched the only implementation for GI they had I now have to have no scene AA because they can't get their new system to work with something built into video cards? I use Standard RP and in 2018 I didn't have this issue so why can't it just disable Quality Settings AA in SRP projects only?

Their post effects AA is not on the same quality and performance as the MSAA. Using more resources for less quality is going backwards and it's whats happening. I can't work like this, every day i sit down and have to deal with more issues then progress. This engine and it's company are walking on eggshells.

Apparently whoever is making these decisions doesn't care about user impact. They are using their users as beta testers and don't realize the huge negative impact on everyone they are doing.

I have a deck of cards and none of their post effects can give that a clean look except for the AA in quality settings. The post effects tries it's best but there are obvious artifacts quite plainly on the screen. Morphological costs a huge price in performance and still shows artifacts.

The quality is so bad on these post effects for AA and the cost is so high that I've been forced to go from Deferred to Forward. At least with the Forward AA the game looks incredibly crisp in game anyway.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    forestrf likes this.
  13. MichaelAtBaobab

MichaelAtBaobab

I stumbled my way into a roundabout solution to this. Add this component to the Main Camera (or whatever camera is tagged as your MainCamera) in your scene:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. [ExecuteAlways, ImageEffectAllowedInSceneView]
    3. public class TurnOnSceneCameraAA : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     #if UNITY_EDITOR
    6.         [ImageEffectUsesCommandBuffer]
    7.         void OnRenderImage(RenderTexture source, RenderTexture destination)
    8.         {
    9.             Graphics.Blit(source, destination);
    10.         }
    11.     #endif
    12. }
    Somehow, the combination of the ImageEffectAllowedInSceneView and ImageEffectUsesCommandBuffer attributes enables MSAA. I have no idea why, but hope this helps others suffering with jaggy scene views.

14. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

You are a saviour Michael!

15. Mochie_

Mochie_

Now lets see what those "unexpected behaviors" are that they're so worried about us encountering.

16. XiexeVR

XiexeVR

Inb4 unexpected behavior is just something silly like the selection outlines still being jagged or not rendering.

17. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Only thing I can think about is pixel art games, they would be better of without MSAA, for the rest it would be better enabled.

18. 651032800

urp not work.

stoppo, adam_unity450 and DanjelRicci like this.