Search Unity

No more Scoreloop

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by JayG81, Jul 8, 2014.

1. JayG81

JayG81

I just received an email saying that Scoreloop services will be terminated on Dec. 1, 2014.

Now what will we use?

appxplore-tech and Elkis like this.
  2. appxplore-tech

appxplore-tech

Ya i received the news too. May I know is there any scoreloop plugin available for used once Scoreloop terminated and merged into Blackberry Native SDK? or we can still use current Scoreloop Plugin?

3. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

Hi all,

To confirm, the Scoreloop service is being shut down on December 1st. Up to that point, the APIs will continue to function but I do recommend that developers not implement Scoreloop into new games at this point and consider to start removing those APIs.

Once December 1st passes, any Scoreloop API calls will return an error; the same as if the device did not have an internet connection. So the APIs calls themselves won't throw an exception or crash the application (assuming error handling is implemented), but they also won't do anything meaningful regardless of OS version, etc. The service itself will be unavailable.

The decision was made as a result of the restructuring at BlackBerry and increased focus on the enterprise/productivity space.

Currently there is no replacement API planned for Scoreloop.

The original email sent out from Scoreloop is as follows.

4. Elkis

Elkis

Have you guys checked out App42?
    They have an SDK for Unity and another one for BlackBerry 10, maybe someone with the expertise could merge them?

5. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

That's looking quite interesting. Have you tried the direct Unity3D SDK in a Unity project that was then built for BlackBerry 10? Perhaps it may already have compatibility.

The BlackBerry 10 SDK is based on the WebWorks platform, so the conversion there would be more of an undertaking (i.e. re-writing all APIs to be native extensions for Unity3D, as opposed to leveraging existing APIs that were already written.)

That being said, most of these services are simply based on Web Request principles, which tend to be cross platform for the most part. Especially something like leaderboards, users, etc. which tends to just be making a request / receiving data, there isn't usually anything platform specific there.

Unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth to dig into this in the short term. But it does look quite promising. With a little luck, I'd expect the Unity3D SDK to work. Otherwise, it would be a bit of a larger task. Could be worth reaching out to the App42 folks as well.

August 14: One small update, John Griffin from GameSparks also dropped by the forums to offer his support to developers looking for a Scoreloop alternative.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  6. zezba9000

zezba9000

I'm also working on a very simple Leaderboard Achievement service that should work on BB10, WP8, Win8, ect...
    Sad to see Scoreloop just end as it was working and I spent so much time getting a plugin to work for it :(...

7. aim_2_tease

aim_2_tease

This is so not fair I worked bloody hard getting my score up on that score loop for beach buggy blitz something needs to be done this will effect blackberry gaming users n I Deff will not in future buy another one

8. MrDude

MrDude

I could shamelessly advertise my own high score kit here (since it requires your own web space and works with all Unity's platforms and is thus guaranteed to never expire unless you close down your own website) ... but I won't ;) :p

Instead, I will ask: What is going on? When I was looking for this type of service (ages ago) there was choices going from here up to wazoo... Now a mate is asking me what services exist and I go "Jeez, I don't remember. Let me go check" and now all I see is game analythics but no high score tracking on any of them.... ScoreLoop, OpenFeint... they were the most well known ones and they are both closed... So far it seems GameCenter is the only option left standing if you don't want to roll out your own servers...

When did leaderboards become so un-cool ?????

Elkis likes this.