Search Unity

Resolved No input in Linux build

Discussion in 'Input System' started by GlaskowsRetroBrain, Dec 19, 2022.

1. GlaskowsRetroBrain

GlaskowsRetroBrain

Hi,

I have moved some of the systems in our app to use the new input system. Everything works as expected in the editor and Windows builds, but the Linux build seems not to receive any even from the new input system (the events from the old system are being processed without problems). Neither the UI or the normal mappings seem to be doing anything.
    When I connect the debugger I cannot see anything wrong, the events are just no firing. Have anyone experience this before? I saw some issues that were solved for later version of Unity, is ours too old to work well with the new input system?

Thanks!

Additional info
    Input system ver: v1.4.4
    Unity ver: 2020.3.33f1
    Linux: Ubuntu 20.04LTS

2. GlaskowsRetroBrain

GlaskowsRetroBrain

I got a bit more information, in case someone can help me out.
    I got it to run under Linux, but only in my dev environment, under Gnome.
    The problem is trying to get the new input system work when it is run exclusively from the XServer, as our product doesn't ship with any desktop environment.

Additionally, I created a small project to isolate this behavior, it is just a GO with a script to move it around while pressing the keyboard or gamepad and an UI button to test the UI event system.
    I tried this with different Unity versions. 2020.3.33f1, 2020.3.43f1 and 2021.3.16f1 with the same result.
    Well, the last two have and additional bug where the app crashes if I drag the mouse while I press its left button.

3. mylastggeast

mylastggeast

I would love to know more about the state of Linux support too, since the Steamdeck touch screen is not supported too.

4. GlaskowsRetroBrain

GlaskowsRetroBrain

Found the issue. In the Desktop free environment, the app is not in focus (even if it is the only app running!), so the Background Behavior needs to be set to "Ignore Focus" and then the devices will be connected.

5. mylastggeast

mylastggeast

@GlaskowsRetroBrain
    Glad you were able to solve your issue!
    Do you know by chance if also multi-touch works with your setup?

6. GlaskowsRetroBrain

GlaskowsRetroBrain

Sadly I don't. My setup doesn't include touch input.

mylastggeast likes this.