Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

No Google Cardboard option in XRManager Settings

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by lz7cjc, Apr 15, 2020.

1. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

Hi
    I tried to heed the warning about the API for playersettings.virtualrealitysupported being obsolete but when i installed XRManager there was no option for Cardboard

So what do i do?
    thanks

2. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

3. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

thanks for replying but I am none the wiser. Are you able to be a little more specific about how to swap to the new XR Manager. I am a bit of a newbie and don't see anything in those links that explain how to make the change. I am quite happy with the legacy system as it works fine. My concern is the warning I receive in Unity that I need to swap to XR Manager with no clear way to do this, specifically for Cardboard on iOs and Android.

thanks for your help

4. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

As mentioned in our blog post, Google VR is no longer supported by Unity in 2019.3 and beyond. The built-in integrations that you're using are still functional and available for use in 2019.3, and will remain functional in 2019 LTS with no new features, but essential bug fixes. Our recommendation is to continue using the built-in integrations in Unity 2018 or 2019 LTS, where the UI to enable VR remains in Player Settings.

The XR Plug-in Management UI is only compatible with the XR plugins that support Unity's XR SDK. At this time, the Cardboard Open Source XR Plugin for Unity is still being developed by Google and has not been released yet. Once available (use this link for latest updates), Google will provide guidance on where to download and it will show up in the XR Plug-in Management UI when you add it to your project.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  5. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

ok thanks - so i am on 2019.3.7f1 and as long as I don't upgrade to a later version i will be fine; correct?

6. chaosemer

chaosemer

Official Google Employee

VirtualPierogi likes this.
  7. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

i might just love you a little bit - thank you!

8. chusmaverde

chusmaverde

@chaosemer, I just started a project to develop a VR system in Android and I was trying to use whats provided by google quickstart guide.

Unfortunately i got the error mentioned in the github repository and I do not know how to fix that. If we have to wait until this works, whats is the latest Unity stable version and google cardboard available to start developing (once these issues are solved I can always upgrade the project)?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  9. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

themystery79_unity likes this.
  10. chusmaverde

chusmaverde

Thanks for the info. I am not sure what you mean, but I guess you are talking about the steps to get the Cardboard package into unity. I followed whats mentioned in the quick start guide:

upload_2020-6-11_0-46-20.png

which has the exact same https url as you mentioned.

11. pithakoteTata

pithakoteTata

Hi,

When I try to use the "HelloCardboard" scene from Cardboard XR Plugin,
    I get this error
    "
    DllNotFoundException: cardboard_api
    Google.XR.Cardboard.Api.HasDeviceParams () (at Library/PackageCache/com.google.xr.cardboard@8979e065b7/Runtime/Api.cs:101)
    "
    and I cannot use any sort of control whatsoever. Has anyone else faced this same problem?

12. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

@pithakoteTata I have found you need the old GoogleVR system to control the scene in the editor. Not sure if that is the same problem. If you find a solution on how we can get rid of the old system and use the new one, I would love to know!

13. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hi all, I raised the Google Cardboard issues with the Google team and they pointed out this is likely represented in Issue #38. They are aware of this issue, and recommend using github.com/googlevr/cardboard to report any future issues you have with the Cardboard plugin.

14. andyz

andyz

Google's VR plugin is still not ready for use really - no metal support, no android x support etc.
    Can the old vr plugin Unity provided be used in 2019 LTS to update old apps in the mean time?

15. arfish

arfish

The old VR system still exist in 2019, but the head tracking is horrible. At least last time I checked.

andyz likes this.
  16. andyz

andyz

OK I got it working but the head tracking is bad for me because it is not running above 30 fps where as the 2017 or 2018 (?) version is still running at 60!

Edit: Had to disable vsync after booting up plugin to get full frame rate, even though SDK says enable!!
    Plugin is buggy and slow in supporting graphics options!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  17. NemesisWarlock

NemesisWarlock

No offence, y'all, but Google dropped official support for Cardboard in 2016, and dropped Daydream in 2019.

Drop-in Phone based VR in that form is basically dead. There's a couple of other manufactuers considering bringing it back with openXR, but I wouldn't expect anything on that front for another couple of years.

Right now it's Oculus or Bust.

18. andyz

andyz

Evidence? Cardboard is alive as a very cheap VR option with new open source SDK & a website. I don't recommend investing in it but it works albeit with a slightly buggy Unity plugin by Google!

19. tree_arb

tree_arb

I'm doesn't work well though. Its laggy to the point that its almost useless unfortunately

20. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

Because it makes perfect sense to drop an accessible technology that can be used worldwide by anyone with a mobile phone and make them spend hundreds of pounds on a headset that might only be used a dozen times

Sometimes the tech industry really doesn't help itself

21. NiallT

NiallT

No offence? Really?

Yes it's dead at the level of commercial support, but there's still a use-case for it -- me, I'm interested in building an experimental virtual classroom around it to get my students' attention to stop wandering.

I reckon that if Google hadn't stopped maintaining it, it could have got very big very quickly, as an alternative to Zoom etc with much lower bandwidth requirements than video chat. I also find that positional audio in the likes of Mozilla Hubs (which is compatible with Cardboard-style mobile VR) makes it easier to deal with people talking over each other than Teams, Skype etc where everyone's speaking in mono from the centre position of the screen.

I had hoped to use Hubs, but it seems that the use of WebRTC really messed things up (my students are very geographically diverse), so I'm looking to build my own solution using hosted real-time-chat -- either Unity's Vivox, or TenCent's solution (I say geographically diverse... many of my students are in China.)

So what's my problem with "no offence"?
    Well, I'm not offended by the fact that Google abandoned the platform.
    So why would I be offended?
    I shouldn't be. But the phrase "no offence" suggests you're offending me, and that does, in fact, offend me.
    So that's what I want to build -- a simple web chat with avatars sitting at a round table in 3D space with real-time chat and a couple of UI elements for lecture slides etc. Perfectly doable with 3DoF, but also available as a Quest/PCVR build for those with the right equipment.

lz7cjc and arfish like this.
  22. tree_arb

tree_arb

Cardboard sdk was updated and head tracking is better now

23. lz7cjc

lz7cjc

very well said - "no offence" was the height of tired, cliched passive aggressiveness

I also would like to set up this sort of chat for Cardboard. Would be great to chat about your progress as I am stuck!

24. andyz

andyz

It is very much alive as a plugin for Unity though with minimal resources! - seems 1 or 2 random devs have been assigned to support the Unity version which has only just got beyond legacy gles support and still needs AndroidX library support

25. NiallT

NiallT

No progress so far. I've only just found the GitHub for the Cardboard XR plugin -- until today I only had the old Cardboard VR asset.

lz7cjc likes this.