Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

No good AA Solution - What 3rd party solutions work with raytracing?

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by newguy123, Mar 1, 2021.

1. newguy123

newguy123

Hi Guys

What am I missing here?

TAA is default in the HDRP template. However, when I switch on all raytracing features and add some animated characters, I'm getting terrible ghosting artifacts which makes the AA pretty much useless...

Also I have very detailed geometry and trying to get a visualisation project going, but because of all the detail, I'm not getting ANY good solution with the 3 available built in options.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

TAA is pretty bad in general, and Unity's implementation is far from state of the art (a little while ago it was flat out bad).

I don't think you're missing anything.

3. newguy123

newguy123

Any 3rd party alternatives?

Madgoat's SSAA was apparently pretty good, but they decided to move on to other things and its no longer available

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't know of any, but I'm also not doing anything serious with HDRP so I haven't invested a lot of time in finding a solution to HDRP's AA problem.

5. newguy123

newguy123

Seriously guys, what 3rd party AA assets are out there?

The 3 that come with Unity are totally useless for my project and I cant use MSAA as its not compatible with Raytracing

6. DGordon

DGordon

CTAA keeps claiming they're going to release an HDRP version some day. If they do, that will probably be your best bet. Anyone's guess on if they'll really follow through though (don't believe it until its here).

If the quality is in line with their BiRP version (especially considering it came out a while ago), then I'm hoping their HDRP will blow Unity's out of the water.

Doesn't help you right now though, sorry.

newguy123 likes this.
  7. m0nsky

m0nsky

Do you have any videos of the ghosting issues you're having? And would it be possible to find out which effect is causing your ghosting artifacts? (by enabling/disabling them one by one)

There have been some RTAO updates to eliminate ghosting last month (see #3343)

If you're using physically based depth of field, try turning it off because it currently seems to introduce extra ghosting for all ray tracing effects.

If your ghosting artifacts mainly come from ray traced shadows in scenes with a lot of action/movement, try disabling the denoiser and using a higher sample count instead, this is what I use in actual gameplay.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    fuzzy3d likes this.
  8. Lex4art

Lex4art

Hmm... *Captain Obvious here just in case* maybe playing with those two settings will reduce it:
    TAA anti-ghosting settings.png

9. newguy123

newguy123

For my architectural scene, the settings does nothing to improve the AA. With pathtracing, all looks great, but switch of pathtracing and use raytracing, then no matter whcih AA I use, it looks terrible. TAA looks best out of the 3, but still very blurry with sharp black "highlights" almosty between bright and drak areas.

For example white object against the sky gets a black blurry outline from TAA. The other 2 AA options completly misses half the geometrix details

10. Lex4art

Lex4art

This reminds me of artifacts from "TAA History sharpening" parameter - setting it to 0 may help here.

fuzzy3d likes this.
  11. newguy123

newguy123

I've tried all settings up and down, nothing gets it as expected (clean like with pathtracing)

Lex4art likes this.
  12. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

I think we need to implement SSAA by ourself but I don't even know how to proceed in HDRP. For offline rendering I may use SSAAx2 or even SSAAx4.

13. newguy123

newguy123

That would be awesome, but I have no clue where to even begin implementing that myself

GeniusKoala likes this.
  14. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

CTAA is the best right now.