Search Unity

No Generate Root Motion Curves Option

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Karim_EYT, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Karim_EYT

Karim_EYT

Hey, when I exported my character with animations from Mixamo and put it into Unity the animation doesn't give me the option to generate root motion curves. Does someone can help me with this?

Attached Files:

2. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

Um. I think you should make a generic avatar and set it to root motion, then apply the other animations to that avatar. Once its applied, you might see the animation tab suddenly have more options about root motion. Not sure if thats your issue but it frustrated me at first.

3. beatdesign

beatdesign

Up.
    Did you find a solution for that?
    Maybe the "Generate Root Motion button is no more presenti in Unity 2018?

4. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

Hi beatdesign,

The option was indeed removed in Unity 2018.3 as it's no longer needed. Root motion curves will be generated from the root transform position if no root curves or motion curves were specified when importing your fbx animation clips.

For Unity 2018.2 and earlier versions, the option will only appear if your clip contains root transform curves.

CanisMajor and AlexTheOutsider like this.
  5. Gibton

Gibton

What about 2D animations? Now we can't use Root Motion with them?

6. simonbz

simonbz

Unity Technologies

No, the same goes for 2D animation. Root motion curves are generated using the root transform curves, you just don't need the option anymore. Instead, you can toggle root motion in the Animator directly.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Gibton likes this.
  7. Gibton

Gibton

Great! Thank you.

8. SVAFnemesis_

SVAFnemesis_

This does not apply when my desired root motion does not come from root transform tho?

For example in my clip the root transform as no animation key as the keys are in one hierachy below root, and because this clip does not come from an FBX, now I'm left with no way to generate root motion curve.

9. beatdesign

beatdesign

You could export the animation clip as FBX and use in import settings Animation/Motion/RootMotionNode and specify here the node below root that contains the rootmotion

Attached Files:

10. SVAFnemesis_

SVAFnemesis_

exporting and importing an animation clip back and forth will cause double baking, which is pretty much unacceptable for workflow reason. I managed to tackle this by using AnimationUtility scripts. However I do hope Unity realize that they have unecessarily made things much more complicated by removing this button that they thought they don't need.

11. ShaunUnity

ShaunUnity

What if you make a custom animation inside Unity that is not imported?

markasuter likes this.