Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question No 'Gear' option on Custom Function Node?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by MikeUpchat, Mar 2, 2021.

1. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Trying to convert my shaders over to URP and Shadergraph and I need to add a Custom Function so I added a Custom Function Node which appears in the Graph, but then I cant do anything with it as there is no 'Gear' icon to click to add Inputs or Outputs, what step am I missing?
    Screenshot 2021-03-02 113920.jpg

2. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Seems to have fallen victim to the Unity cant be bothered to keep their docs up to date issue, I have lost so much time to the docs saying one thing but in reality it is something different. When will the Docs every match reality.

3. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

It seems that you may just be looking at outdated documentation. (Major search engines will almost always refer you to outdated docs on the first page of results, for reasons I won't go into. This is a common issue, not just with Unity.) The shader graph docs since v9.0 have shown the updated way to access these input and output properties via the node settings tab of the graph inspector:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.shadergraph@10.4/manual/Custom-Function-Node.html
    upload_2021-3-24_20-5-24.png

If you don't see the Graph Inspector, you can toggle it on / off here on the shader graph toolbar:
    upload_2021-3-24_20-8-24.png

Deemeetree likes this.
  4. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

Most likely the real problem here is that package documentation that is old enough like. 7.x doesn't have the drop down menu in the top left where you can see what version you are looking at and easily jumpt to a different version.
    The solution being is, it needs to be made clear to the reader that "hey, you are reading pretty old docs, you might want to click here for the most recent" --which the main Unity documentation does a pretty good job at already actually. Just not the packages documentation.