Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[NO CCU LIMIT] Forge Networking now OPEN SOURCE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Brent_Farris, Dec 22, 2014.

1. uneedtee

uneedtee

Cant build with il2cpp with the last version. Tested it with an empty project, Unity3d 2018.3.14f1 and both versions of Forge, the Assset Store and the GitHub Version and the MultiplayerMenu Scene. Always get the "il2cpp.exe did not run properly" error message.

2. alex2013nck3

alex2013nck3

Hello everyone, I really need help connecting to the game.
    The situation is that I have my own server created through the Master Server, I want to create a multiplayer game, I have fulfilled all the conditions for its implementation.
    It is time to connect the players, I gave my friend my IP, he was able to successfully connect and become a host on my server, his game was successfully registered in MasterServer, but I can not connect to his game through your server.
    At the same time in the local network, I can connect multiple devices and play with each other \_(ツ)_/...
    Ask for help.

3. anthonyk

anthonyk

Hi,
    I have a question regarding a specific use case and want to know if Forge can help.

I want to connect multiple Android devices on a same local network without having them to type in manually the local ip address of the player hosting the game and without having to host a matchmaking server myself somewhere on the internet.

- Is this possible with Forge ?
    - Is this possible without an internet connection ? like each client search in the background for the host inside the local network and connect to it automatically.

Thanks for your reply :)

4. starfoxy

starfoxy

Funny enough, just found this today and I am wondering the same (although typing in an ip address is ok too).

5. hvilppu2

hvilppu2

6. pluszak

pluszak

Hi, currently i'm developing application in Unity using forge networking remastered
    and i'm having issues with instantiating a prefab.

This prefab is very large machine and it contains multiple forge based classes in hierarchy. (transform sync, actions, lots of properties and rpc's.)

When this prefab is on scene from the start synchronization is working, but when i load this prefab from resources, all of my classes lose networkObject references.

All i've found in documentation is to use
    NetworkManager.Instance.Instantiate"MyClassName"(); but this solution only restored connection to “MyClassName” class, leaving others still without networkObject.

My question is: Is there a way to instantiate an object and Initialize every forge based component in prefab
    or should i refactor this multiple classes into one class where all of my properties and rpc's are packed in one forge class?

7. GarethPikPok

GarethPikPok

Hi all!
    I've been checking out Forge as an option for a new title, and I was wondering if anyone could update the links for the Discord? All of the links on the GitHub page are expired :D
    @Brent_Farris ?
    Thanks!

8. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

https://discord.gg/qRXPArQ

9. GarethPikPok

GarethPikPok

10. payalzariya07

payalzariya07

hello
    I am trying to create sdp offer and answer using webrtc . it is possible in Forge Network.

11. castor76

castor76

Hi. This is probably a long shot, but will Forge work with console platforms? Has anyone shipped a game with Forge on console platforms?

12. CarterG81

CarterG81

13. Grinchi

Grinchi

Hey everyone :) i am thinking to move my game from Photon to Forge networking. is there any quick guide how to set up cloud based master server.

14. newlife

newlife

Hello, we are the team behind Real Drift Car Racing, a quite successful mobile drift racing game.
    We are planning to implement real time multiplayer for our game.
    A player can select several rooms (drift race, time attack race, timed event etc). The player will be matched with another player with around the same level of expertise. Once found, the race will start (so only two players with two cars that don't collide each other). There will be a leaderboard with the best players with the relative ghost to race against. The winner will have its expertise level increased, the loser will have it decreased.
    This is clearly a competitive multiplayer, so I need a service with an authoritative server and client prediction.
    Is this possible in Forge?
    In the case, which is the best approach to go for?

15. newlife

newlife

I would like to implement something like
    "Client Auth, Predicted Movement With Server Side Sanity Checks With Commands"
    This case is a hybrid of fully client predicted, server authoritative and client auth. The server still owns entities, but the client essentially moves his entity in a client auth fashion and simply sends the final result to the server as command input. The Command inputs do not contain traditional inputs but rather the result of the client movement (position, rotation, etc). The server then receives this input and moves the player to the position / rotation / etc requested in the command input. The server has a chance here to look at the player’s movement request and decide if it is valid or not. If not, the server does not have to apply the same result to proxies. In this case the server will violently correct the controlling player by sending back an event to the player with his new position which will be an obvious visual artifact.

16. castor76

castor76

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason behind moving from photon to forge?

17. CarterG81

CarterG81

Sounds like authoritative server, prediction, etc. Forge definitely can do all that.

I used Forge to make my open world survival game with an authoritative server. How authoritative (what it checks and how much it trusts client) is up to you.

However I've never used Forge in an actually released product, just in prototyping (which seemed to work exactly as I needed) so take anything I say with a bag of salt.

18. newlife

newlife

This is something that frighten me a bit. It seems that Forge has never been used in a real life, complex, released project. Is this true?

19. CarterG81

CarterG81

Idk. I stopped keeping up with it a bit before it went free.

20. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Posted this on Discord, but doing here too incase its not seen.

"Hi, 2 quick networking questions:
    1: I saw bits of ipv6 mentioned in the code, but does Forge fully support ipv6 networks, for both master server and the other bits?
    2: A requirement by Apple app store is to not use IP addresses, but domain names, can the master server (and other bits) use domain names instead of IPs?

Thank you Just reading through documentation, and about to start some tutorials up, got quite a few multiplayer games i need to rapidly update from the old legacy unity networking."

Edit: I've been informed you can use dns hostnames.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  21. saifshk17

saifshk17

Hello,

I am using Forge Networking to establish connection between two devices. Both devices come to main scene and establish communication through IP addresses, but when one device goes to next scene, I want the second device also to follow it with RPC (which i have implemented). Unfortunately the connection breaks when going to a different scene, why?

22. DingusAUS

DingusAUS

This is what real life is like. Hard to commit to an asset especially when so many asset developers abandon public support, do not reply, and even ask for your help on their projects, while they waste your time promising fixes and updates. Edy is the REAL deal.

23. KAYUMIY

KAYUMIY

Is It posible to make simple string data trasnfer beween desktop and mobile apps bu using
    Forge Networking ?

24. CarterG81

CarterG81

Yes, absolutely. This is very simple. Almost anything could do it easily.

KAYUMIY likes this.
  25. KAYUMIY

KAYUMIY

Can you give a guideline how to make it please?

26. CarterG81

CarterG81

Read the Forge documentation or setup guide. It is all there. No one can handhold this for you bc it is simple enough where you just need to "Read the Manual". It is all there.

KAYUMIY likes this.
  27. Mariochi

Mariochi

Does anyone have a Linux build for the natserver?
    I tried to compile the GitHub code unsuccessfully.
    It's one of the few things that holds my current project at the moment.

Thanks for your time

28. cronus98

cronus98

I'm trying to update Unity (previously using 2019.1.10f1). Forge was working great before upgrading, but now in 2019.3 NetworkManager is throwing index out of bounds errors. Going into the debugger It looks like for each of the NetworkObject arrays that Forge sets up from the NCW the array is empty, and so instantiation fails. Has anybody seen this or have any ideas what might cause this?

29. BhaktiUGP_MonsterAR

BhaktiUGP_MonsterAR

Hi, I currently research forge networking for a couple of days. I wonder how to do this too. I look forward to knowing the solution to this. Thank you in advance

30. patSilva

patSilva

Hey all, I am new to Forge. And I was wondering which was better to use RpcsArgs.GetAt<T> or GetNext<T>

My thoughts is that GetAt would be better as you can get the specific data you are looking but I am assuming the order matches that in the wizard; of course this comes with unsafe casting as you might accidentally get a variable that cannot be casted to what you are asking. Where GetNext seems like it goes through the structure looking for the next instance of the type you are asking for saving you from an accidental miscast but in my mind wouldn't it possibly be in accurate if there are two arguments of the same type? if so do I have to get the first before using the second? Now I am guessing on how these work, I haven't looked into what they do just yet.

Am I right in thinking about it this way?
    I am using GetAt currently because of this but I feel like I am missing something.

Watch me incredibly wrong on how it all works haha :D
    Wonderful product by the way, I have been having a great time figuring this out. Great documentation and great asset!