Search Unity

[NO CCU LIMIT] Forge Networking now OPEN SOURCE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Brent_Farris, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Cranick

Cranick

I investigated this and was unable to repro it. Using Unity 4.7, Windows 10 no issues. Are you developing on mobile by chance? Can you respond to me with your version of Unity as well?

2. daddylonglegs2014

daddylonglegs2014

I've encounter this bug "IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range." in NetworkingStream on the latest version, it only occur sometimes randomly, please help, I'm using free version Unity 5.3.1f

3. Red_Kay

Red_Kay

I already told I cant use that since I want to pause time at certain points, also the timer that I want should count reverse (like for example start from 10min till 0) and serverTime is not settable so......

Also is there's a way of calling a RPC which is defined in someother script from a different script? I tried making it public and calling it like GO.RPC("BallChange"); but I always get an error.....

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  4. ivendar

ivendar

Thanks for reply. Hmhmhm. Let me ask this differently, hopefully more exact.
    Out of the box, using a rigidbody with root motion and following the available tutorials. Will it work without necessary changes in Forge code ? So in my controller I just change the parameters for the animator using playmaker. So will Forge just be able to transfer those parameters with the available scripts where I of course grab the parameters and won't it matter that the used animations are root motions ? That's basically my question as the root motion will change where the character is located. Sorry I can't ask more professional, just hobbyist. ;) I just want to be sure if I can use it out of the box for the basics without too much hassle. From tutorials view this might work fine for me but only if root motions are working.

Maybe someone got a link to a tutorial about Forge + root motions I might have missed or wants to create one ? :) I'm really interested in Forge, I'm just not sure if I would be able to use it. Or maybe someone can just test it with root motion ? ^^ Reason I'm asking is because I'd like to be able to use such animation packs https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26876 which have root motions.

5. Eugene-Starling

Eugene-Starling

Hey. I just recently bought forge networking and am trying to make it work for me.

In your provided example (Menu scene => ForgeCubeResources example scene) for some reason joining a session via one button(without providing ip) gave me error in editor. The only place that button worked without any problems was iOs. I have fixed the error, but the joining via one button part still does not work on any of my wi-fi devices except for iOs... It doesn't find any servers.
    I would prefer if my users had an easy way to connect to each other: without entering any magic numbers.
    All of my wi-fi devices are connected to one router and I can join by providing ip without any problems. Unity 5.3.3, Forge networking 19.1.

Thanks beforehand.

P.S. As for the error, I'll provide error logs and my debugging conclusions on where it falls below and here I'll provide the solution I've done to make it work.
    I fixed it by changing StartScene script: on finding endpoint now instead of what it did before, it raises a flag that the StartScene monobehavior is catching in its' update and launches the FindedEndPoint(don't remember the exact name) method.

Errors:
    ``Internal_CreateGameObject can only be called from the main thread.
    Constructors and field initializers will be executed from the loading thread when loading a scene.
    Don't use this function in the constructor or field initializers, instead move initialization code to the Awake or Start function.
    Networking.cs line 346
    Sockets.Add(port, new CrossPlatformUDP(false, 0));
    Load can only be called from the main thread.
    Constructors and field initializers will be executed from the loading thread when loading a scene.
    Don't use this function in the constructor or field initializers, instead move initialization code to the Awake or Start function.
    Networking.cs Line 365
    SimpleNetworkedMonoBehavior.Initialize(Sockets[port]);``

6. o1o101

o1o101

There is an error in Android build, "Unable to find libc"....does not connect. Does anyone know how to solve this?
    I also tried hosting on android and tried connecting to android IP, and tried Lan Discovery...no dice.
    Another error is :
    Internal_CreateGameObject can only be called from the main thread.
    Might be a good idea to have a Android tutorial video, only one up there is just about getting old version of Unity/Forge running with Good Old Sockets.

7. Eugene-Starling

Eugene-Starling

deverolirc, which version of forge and unity are you using? Did you download it from the asset store? Asset store seems to have an outdated version(I downloaded it a week ago and it was 16.4 instead of 19.1 that is hosted on their site). Android connection works fine there when you provide an ip into input box.

As for the error, seems to be the same I've had. Read the post right above yours and maybe it'll help you. In my case it wasn't the error in the plugin, but an error with the example script forge provided that could easily be fixed. Alas, that didn't make the connection without providing ip work for me :(

8. o1o101

o1o101

Thanks Eugene! I have the latest version 19.1 downloaded from developers portal. and I'm using Unity 5.3.2f1. It sounds like we are battling a similar problem. I will try to share my progress with you and anyone else interested.

I am able to make the following work:
    ============================
    1. If I build scenes ForgeQuickStartMenu,ForgeQuickServerBrowser, and ForeCubeResources for android, open apk on android device, click Host Server button. I am then able to connect to the android device hosted server from the Unity Editor or a PC exe build using LAN discovery and everything syncs correctly. But the Server browser does not show any servers, players or games on any build.

2. If I host the server from either the Unity editor or pc build, and I try to use LAN discovery from the android build, I get the following ADB logcat error:
    Unable to find libc
    I/Unity ( 3677): EntryPointNotFoundException: getifaddrs
    I/Unity ( 3677): at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Net.NetworkInformation.LinuxNetworkInterface:getifaddrs (intptr&)
    I/Unity ( 3677): at System.Net.NetworkInformation.LinuxNetworkInterface.ImplGetAllNetworkInterfaces () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity ( 3677): at System.Net.NetworkInformation.NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity ( 3677): UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
    3.I am not able to see any server listing if I click the Server Browser button on any build.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Forge developers: some help/example/tutorial on this most basic need would be really appreciated by your less code-savvy users. The only video tut on Android is the one about using 'Good ole sockets' and Unity 4.6.

Thanks again :)

9. cjc83486

cjc83486

Looks like an awesome library! I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

Background: I'm looking at making a web player/webGL multiplayer soccer-like game (I realize webGL is not yet supported by Forge.)

Do you know approximately what the latency is for multiplayer web player games over wifi? Since it is TCP I'm worried about latency issues...

I haven't dug into your documentation too much, so I apologize up front for this next question: I see that your library likes to use a player as the host and the rest of the players connect as a client. With web player/webGL, none of the players can be a host, thus the server/host will have to be something we supply. What would your suggestion be for this type of multiplayer set-up and does Forge easily support this? (all players are clients, games are hosted using our server, games are distributed to people through our website and server via browser.. no "download" required.. obviously with webplayer/webGL).

10. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Looks great! After asking a few questions in the Photon thread and receiving hateful answers from the developer(because they were excellent questions), I have decided to look for other, better solutions. Forge seems like a great answer but in order for me to purchase I will need the following questions answered.

1. I seen another thread that said that Unity 4.6 requires the $25 Good ol' Sockets plugin. If I upgrade to Unity 4.7, will I still need this plugin? My games are all currently on Android.

2. Photon was very sketchy and never really told anyone that you need to purchase new licenses for every 100 CCUs. Is this similar? What I am asking is, if I buy this for $75, will I need to shell out more money for servers, 3rd party services, etc like Photon, or is $75 all I need to spend?

3. I made a cannon shooter game for Android. The way I want to implement multiplayer is a 1v1 match where each player takes turns shooting with the goal to knockdown all the players flags. Will Forge work for this type of game since it claims to work great for physics? Here is a link to my game just for reference: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Sempiternal.KTF_Full&hl=en

Otherwise, great job with this! I'm confident this is what I need!

Thanks, Sempiternal Studios

11. nproject

nproject

Hi farrisarts,

I want to make online multiplayer game. Sort of like a co-op / battle arena map like Hell divers/Warframe/WorldofTanks
    The network I need is a matchmaking in global and local. player 1 creates game and hosting. Player 2, 3, looks at a list of created games and finds player 1 game and joins, player 1, 2, 3 plays together. or maybe auto matchmaking.

1. If I buy Forge, do I need setup something else? like I have to rent dedicated server / VPS, server scripting? Do I need to setup something in forge website?
    2. Can use this for MMORPG ? and store player info, inventory, status, progress, skill etc.?
    3. Is it really no CCU or MAU ?
    4. 1 purchase for 1 game or many games?

Thanks in advance.

gagwieg likes this.
  12. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Developer has not responded in 9 days since March 14th. I am very anxious to add multiplayer to my games but I cannot wait half a month to have questions answered. Please hurry before my anxiety causes me to go elsewhere xD

13. nproject

nproject

Yea, I tried to send mail to @farrisarts, but there is no respond from him

14. Nirav-Madhani

Nirav-Madhani

I am not able to connect in my android phone.Please Help.
    i am currently having unity 5.0.2.works in pc but not in android.

when i try to connect, it shows

Internal_CreateGameObject can only be called from the main thread.

15. MrGky93

MrGky93

have a question where is the tut for the angry bots ??
    Or is there a tut use control a character with other friends ??

16. FisherM

FisherM

Howdy folks,
    I'd like to introduce myself as a new developer on the Forge Networking team. I've spent the past month getting to work on Forge, helping the community and hunting pesky bugs. I'm excited going forward to continue pushing forge towards being a really excellent product to use.
    I've used forge during professional work, during my own projects and now as a developer and I'm really looking forward to convincing everyone forge is as great as I think it is. Keep your eyes on forge for what is coming!

If you have any questions directly for me, I'd be happy to answer any thoughts or questions. I've been offering support to our users directly and I'll be starting to offer some help and answers here now too.

Cheers

jasonMcintosh and elias_t like this.
  17. FisherM

FisherM

You could quite easily write a public wrapper script in the script to call the desired RPC from another script.

Code (CSharp):
    1. class MyClassA{
    2. [BRPC]
    3. void methodA(){
    5. }
    7. public void callRPC(){
    8. RPC("methhodA");
    9. }
    10. }

18. FisherM

FisherM

Thanks will look into that, luckily if you have the full version of forge, that'll be a quick fix. Let me know if you have any further issues

19. FisherM

FisherM

Great three questions,

1. Good Ol' Sockets is only required for people who don't have unity Pro and are in version 4.6-4.7.
    2. Forge has NO CCU cost hidden or otherwise. You buy forge once and you have it source and all! All of what is happening is clear to see, adapt and tweak for everyone. Forge has a large community and a polite question here and there and you'll find a lot of people willing to give tips.
    Forge does however have a few paid addons, but none relate to CCUs. Any of the features you'd be able to add yourself if you didn't want to buy an addon and there is absolutely nothing stopping you from using forge how you need to, such as in a context like cloud hosting if you have the ability to set that up.
    3. This involves both interpolation and prediction, Forge comes with the best feature set for interpolation and prediction I've seen. Typically each game requires a very specific kind of prediction to get smooth looking physics. Forge certainly should help you get there, but I'd advise you that whatever you use it'll require a little bit of tweaking to get it right.
    Let me know if you have any other questions, hope that helps.

20. FisherM

FisherM

Hey there, I'm one of the developers on Forge Networking, here are some answers:

1. Forge lets you host your servers however you want, a player can host, a server can host, it isn't too hard to make a cloud hosting system either. Forge typically will run in a unity instance (but doesn't have to) so all the scripting is in C# and the same as your unity scripting. Server-as-Client can be a nice method if the server structure thing is a bit new to you. We give you access to a few things via the website, nothing to do with hosting though if that is what you mean.
    2. I think this is one of those "if you have to ask" questions. But yes, forge is designed in such an open way, that it gives you everything you'd get from a service specifically geared towards mmo networking. So if you are up to the task forge can certainly do what you need it to.
    The whole forge team has a background in high CCU games, I myself have, want to use unity for some high ccu projects and would recommend forge as the best networking solution to do so over any other. The challenge will be server structure programming and how you handle instances. I'd suggest by researching that to get started.
    3. Yes, I worry people think this mean forge hosts the service for you. This isn't the case, it provides you the networking code, which you can then use any way you want. Be it hosting servers as a service for your game, allowing players to host dedicated servers or players as servers.
    4. 1 purchase per user (developer), which is a typical asset store requirement.

Let me know if you had any further questions

21. FisherM

FisherM

@Cranick and myself are the main developers of forge right now. @farrisarts is the founder and owner, please direct any questions to us :)

22. MrGky93

MrGky93

how easy is this to make a small single mechanic player to a multiplayer witht his asset ?
    There a no tut how to control the client and host like angry bots in the video ??

23. FisherM

FisherM

It's very easy to get something basic working. We opted to give a fully explained set of tutorials on how to use the system. We feel this is far more likely to help people use the system to succeed. as opposed to having just a simple tutorial that "makes it work" but doesn't really explain the whole system might seem nice, you'll end up wishing there was a more in depth explanation available.

At the moment we offer three options for documentation:
    • Full set of tutorial videos on each feature and how to use it.
    • An accompanying text tutorial for each video, making it easy to skim read over or copy-paste code snippets.
    • A fully documented and well commented code API website, where every significant method, variable and event is explained and examples are given where needed.
    Finally there are several unofficial youtube tutorials from our community on youtube that can be found.

MrGky93 likes this.
  24. MrGky93

MrGky93

so there is a tut video tut how make a single player to a multiplayer easy ?? when yes he i buy it in few hours

25. jjobby

jjobby

@FisherM Hi, when client disconnected from server. I sometimes got an error "Mal-formed defalut communication from ip: port" at server. Do you have any idea what could cause the problem?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  26. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

You mean something like this?

27. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Thank you so much for these answers! It's because of these great answers, that the door has been opened for more questions :p

1. For prediction, how can it be possible for me, for example, to predict where a player might shoot or how a block might fall? Or are we talking a different kind of prediction?(interpolation)

2. Regarding interpolation, is this the same as the interpolation settings we see in Unity's Rigidbody setting?

3. How can it be possible to have unlimited CCUs for your team to sustain any income? Photon, Bolt, etc, charge for every x amount of CCUs ONTOP of the original framework you need to purchase, so I am surprised you guys got this part out of the income. If you have an answer to this question but feel more comfortable answering in PM, feel free to do so.

4. When you answered nproject's questions, number 3 stood out to me "Yes, I worry people think this mean forge hosts the service for you. This isn't the case, it provides you the networking code, which you can then use any way you want. Be it hosting servers as a service for your game, allowing players to host dedicated servers or players as servers." So does this mean that forge is like an API and that we have to purchase 3rd party servers and link them up? This is how Photon and Bolt were setup and were the main reasons I did not purchase. What I am essentially asking here is, if I buy Forge is that ALL I need to setup multiplayer, or are there additional steps(besides implementing Forge of course).

5. When do you recommend using dedicated servers over server-client or player hosted servers. I would like to create a matchmaking system where players search and once a player is found a "lobby" or "match" begins, is this better being dedicated or p2p?

I am almost done with school and I really want to spend time integrating multiplayer into my games, I have my hopes with Forge but I will need these next(and hopefully last) set of questions answered.

Thank you so much for your time and sorry to bother you!

28. Velo222

Velo222

I'm wondering about Forge Networking and Unity's garbage collection (the GC). I spent several months working on an RTS game with the intention of using Photon as my networking solution. However, Photon generates so much garbage collection that even a small RTS game becomes unplayable due to framerate drops from the garbage collector.

Will Forge Networking cause a large amount of garbage collection? Can it handle say a 100 unit vs. 100 unit RTS game?

I'm wanting to use it for an RTS. Preferably I'd like to have a 200 vs. 200 (or larger) game if it can handle it?

Thanks for any info.

29. Velo222

Velo222

Sempiternal, no Forge does not have dedicated servers that they provide (or cloud servers). You will have to find some yourself. At least that's from my understanding. You can have your players host their own games on their own computers, but if you want dedicated servers, you'll have to pay for them or set them up yourself somewhere.

So, basically, no Forge is not ALL that you need to setup multiplayer. But it "can" be if you're ok with simply having your players host their own games (which I think is easier for hackers to hack your game etc.....). But for small indie developers, sometimes this is our only option.

30. MrGky93

MrGky93

jeah like this but this dont show how make it that i can control the host and the client like the angry bots example

Edit:
    The code from the tut are old ??
    Because when i used the same code on the tut they say me that
    protected override void Start()
    dont working because its not in the NetworkedMonoBehavior

Edit2:
    Works perfekt like photon ^^ only mecanim need help the tut is old :/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  31. MrGky93

MrGky93

he how to mmake that the mecaninm on host and client ??
    Like photon to stream the mecanim ??

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  32. o1o101

o1o101

Good to see FisherM here! There are a couple unanswered questions by me and Eugene Startling above that describes how we are not able connect from android to a server hosted either in Unity Editor or pc build. We are using the latest build from the developers portal with Unity 5.3x

1. If I build scenes ForgeQuickStartMenu,ForgeQuickServerBrowser, and ForeCubeResources for android, open apk on android device, click Host Server button, I am then able to connect to the android device hosted server from the Unity Editor or a PC exe build using LAN discovery and everything syncs correctly. But the Server browser does not show any servers, players or games on any build.

2. If I host the server from either the Unity editor or pc build, and I try to use LAN discovery from the android build, I get the following ADB logcat error:

Unable to find libc
    I/Unity ( 3677): EntryPointNotFoundException: getifaddrs
    I/Unity ( 3677): at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Net.NetworkInformation.LinuxNetworkInterface:getifaddrs (intptr&)
    I/Unity ( 3677): at System.Net.NetworkInformation.LinuxNetworkInterface.ImplGetAllNetworkInterfaces () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity ( 3677): at System.Net.NetworkInformation.NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I/Unity ( 3677): UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
    3.I am not able to see any server listing if I click the Server Browser button on any build.

Thanks for your help!

33. FisherM

FisherM

What is the code used to disconnect

34. FisherM

FisherM

Prediction is just the idea of .... predicting what is happening a few seconds ahead on the clients because the server's messages will be taking a few 0.x many seconds to reach the client. It tends to be very unique to the type of game and the way you want to structure it. Usually it is used with you want to have a very secure authoritative server. The client holding down "w" doesn't move forward it tells the server the client is holding down "w" and the server moves the client. The client can then use prediction, locally to move forward while holding w and sync with the server. Forge comes with an awesome automatic system for this.

interpolation I'd suggest you read Mathf.Lerp(), essentially interpolating with net code is used because the messages will come with varying intervals. The messages may be slightly faster or slower and rather than a player teleporting forward to these positions to increment it with interpolation locally. Again forge has an awesome easy solution for this.

you answered question 3 with question 4. We don't at the moment host any service for you, you can set it up if you want to provide servers easily, you can also just provide local hosting for your users. Or allow them to setup dedicated servers. Forge is indeed an API.

5. personally if your game has small sessions with no more than 8 imo server-as-client works fine. If you want larger sessions you set up a server not as a client. You have a lot of options for setting up matchmaking, forge gives you everything you'd need to set up a matchmaking system. By default there is a master server where you can browse servers, or you can make a server the clients connect to that handles matchmaking.

35. FisherM

FisherM

You just NetSync a variable and use it to drive mechanim

36. FisherM

FisherM

We are actively working on making the Lan discovery more stable

37. MrGky93

MrGky93

but he im noob in this some tut or better video tuts i think must here also confused how to make it ??
    Thx

Better is a small code how to control the mecnim of unity3d for both host and client

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  38. o1o101

o1o101

...so...are you saying we are not able to distribute a multiplayer game on android using Forge networking, because it is not possible at this point in time to connect to a game running on a server somewhere through an android device?

39. FisherM

FisherM

You should look at the tutorial section of the asset before asking the developers!
    http://developers.forgepowered.com/Tutorials

40. FisherM

FisherM

No it is definitely possible, discovering local IP isn't drastically tricky to setup and the fix is coming very soon.

41. o1o101

o1o101

Ok, well discovery of local IP is not the most important thing...it simplifies testing only...our target platform is mobile, which would need to connect to a master server somewhere, choose an active game and join it.
    So you are saying that right now, I can create a game using your examples, build as an exe, run that on our server somewhere, build same as an apk, run that on my phone and connect to the exe game instance running on our server?

42. o1o101

o1o101

...or how can we do this most basic scenario:
    1.player launches game on his mobile device
    2.player has choice, join a game or start a new game
    3.he chooses to start a new game
    4.what process has to happen on the server so that a new instance of the game is started, the player is connected, and this new game is visible to the rest of the world?

43. FisherM

FisherM

yup, uploaded a fix for discovery to git also this afternoon, that's a hotfix though let me know if there are issues.

44. o1o101

o1o101

Ok great I will post results here...thanks!

45. MrGky93

MrGky93

hi better is when you give me the right tut.
    there is only one tut about NetSync http://developers.forgepowered.com/...inner/Stop-Interpolate-on-Independent-NetSync

46. FisherM

FisherM

47. FisherM

FisherM

Sure, usually you'll get a faster response on the slack chat.

48. o1o101

o1o101

Ok thanks again, I've been going through the the Forge Slack messages and they are helping me a lot

49. Red_Kay

Red_Kay

If you can just update the free version please..................

50. MrGky93

MrGky93