Search Unity

No Asset Packages?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 3vi1, Jan 17, 2016.

1. 3vi1

3vi1

I only began playing with Unity3D on Ubuntu 16.04 (alpha) today, and am not sure if something I'm seeing is normal or not. I searched the Linux forum and read the release notes/known issues, but didn't find any reference to this:

When creating a new project, if I click the "Asset Packages..." button, the dialog that comes up is empty. This does not match with all the tutorials that show a list of packages and checkboxes next to each.

So, is this normal for the Linux editor?

The install was done using the official 64-bit Ubuntu package: http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/linux/unity-editor-5.3.1f1+20160106_amd64.deb

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Wulfara

Wulfara

Haralf, EmilCoatsink and fabioj like this.
  3. 3vi1

3vi1

Ah! Thanks for confirming that they weren't in the .deb! I was worried that something hadn't installed correctly for a minute there.

Thanks again for the link!

4. isacvale

isacvale

Hi, I have been struggling with this problem as well. Clicking on the link above wasn't helping me so I installed it from the Asset Store from within the game (hope it's the same thing). My problem is that I can't import only a few assets from the package. It's either all assets or none at all. What am I missing?

5. 3vi1

3vi1

Installing from the Asset Store is the same thing (as far as I can tell), except it doesn't add the assets such that they could be chosen individually from the import menu like the tutorials show.

However, when you proceed to "Import Complete Package", it will give you a dialog that allows you to uncheck all of the assets you don't want (or use the 'None' button at the bottom and only select the ones you want).

6. isacvale

isacvale

Yes, you're right. When you start a new project, though, the only option in the Asset Packages is "Standard Assets", which is all or nothing, but through the Asset Store, we can pick what we want (if we're online). Thanks for looking into that.

7. erralb

erralb

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I downloaded the standard assets through the assets store and imported them into two different projects (one upon downloading the assets, and one upon creating a new project and selection the standard assets)

Unity imports the assets, but then the menu is empty. I tried to restart Unity but the problem persists.

If I select "Import new asset", then I can navigate through the folders and pick an asset but it is not present in the unity menu. Any idea what's going on ??

Screenshot from 2017-04-18 16-22-41.png

Screenshot from 2017-04-18 16-55-55.png

8. AdmiralThrawn

AdmiralThrawn

Try this URL: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/917023/unity-5-standard-assets-are-missing.html

I downloaded the "UnityStandardAssetsSetup-5.6.0f3.exe" (as of 25th April '17) and now I have various assets I can pick from the main menu "Assets -> Import Package".

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    AT

P.S.: Interestingly, the URL is currently not responding. If that's the same problem, try the direct download link to the Standard Assets:
    http://netstorage.unity3d.com/unity...0f3.exe?_ga=1.266030543.1345291329.1493143308

9. DominoM

DominoM

I've had same problem since I first started using the Linux Editor (5.3). I added '~/.local/share/unity3d/Asset Store-5.x' as a folder bookmark to more easily access stuff I've already downloaded from the asset store (including Standard Assets) when doing a custom package import.

10. thusan

thusan

how to download the assets in the assets store?

11. dr0r

dr0r

It happened to me on a shaky installation of Win 10 where it also crashes.

Not done installing yet on this ubuntu with the official nvidia drivers. There are some options. So I'm shutting up for now.

This penguin plans where most of his the bugs lurk.

12. MaxMenuka

MaxMenuka

I install Unity 3d 5.3.5 and downloaded the standard assets but i can't understand how to install it it's file extension is .pkg please some one help me

13. KingVoodoo

KingVoodoo

I'm feeling really stupid here, but how do I download the standard assets?
    I only have a Open in Unity option.
    Thanks.

14. KingVoodoo

KingVoodoo

The simple answer is: click Additional downloads on the Unity download page.

15. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

I did the same, and I still don't find any package in the launcher list.
    Using Unity 5.6.3f1 and now tried 5.6.4f1 .... no luck
    In the main menu of the empty project, I find the entries, but not in the launcher,
    norin the 5.6.4 neither 2017.1

16. flightleader05

flightleader05

Not to revive an old thread but as a new Unity student thank you so much for the direct link!!!!

17. slendermagician

slendermagician

I know it is too late to reply, but for those who are watching in the future you just have to login with your unity account select the asset package you want to download then click add to my assets after that inside your cart click open in unity editor. This opens the unity editor then it shows that assets page inside the editor then search the standard assets and click download, after the download click import and select the file you want to import it in.

FireKnightCoder, jrskola and lucasxav like this.
  18. kylerau58

kylerau58

Just got back into Unity. My asset import UI is empty as well. I just downloaded the Standard Assets package from the Asset store for free. Are you telling me that every time I want to import this stuff, I have to go to the Unity store, and click import? This doesn't seem right for some reason.........

19. lucasxav

lucasxav

I had the same problem but once you download it from the Asset Store, it is available in all projects to be imported into the "Add asset Package" tab.

20. kylerau58

kylerau58

Yeah it didn't do that for me. Any tips? I'm cool with just using the weird work around if I have to.

21. lucasxav

lucasxav

Weird. I just tested here: I created a new project, downloaded Standard Assets on it, closed it and when creating a new project it appears enabled
    1.png 2.png 3.png

faraza likes this.
  22. takalth

takalth

Same problem here. It seems like core functionality is bugged, as I can't get any of the dialogs or menus to show them the way that all the tutorials claim should just happen.

23. kengeary

kengeary

Same issue, i was just revving up unity to start prototyping new project and asset menu list doesn;t populate, even if doing at the new project creation level. By the way , is there a recommended STABLE version of Unity to develop for VR ? IS 2017.4 LTS the way to go and works with Steam VR 2.X?

24. edgarhsanchez

edgarhsanchez

I'm working in 2018.3 and I don't see any of those great items in the 'import package' drop down except for the 'custom package' option.

25. dhavalpatel1990

dhavalpatel1990

I am using iMac, I don't see any for import standard package in unity. My working project need to import standard packages. I use unity version unity 2018.3.0f2. Please guide me from where I get the unity standard asset package.

Thanks.

26. bboydaisuke

bboydaisuke

I found you can't import Standard Assets from "Assets" menu with Unity 2018.3.

For Unity 2018.2 and before, Unity lists .unitypackage files in \Editor\Standard Assets\. Unity checks that path on the first time you open "Assets" menu after launch.
    For Unity 2018.3, Unity stopped checking the path so Standard Assets won't be listed even if you put those .unitypackage files there.

27. Pixel48

Pixel48

I haven't got folder Standard Asstets under Editor in 3 vecsions of Unity... Anyone knows how to fix it?

28. aldisa

aldisa

so anyone knows how to fix it, I dunno what to do anymore

29. isomorph1

isomorph1

yeah, im also having this issue, nothing shows up after downloading and importing using the package manager. this is honestly pretty infuriating

30. tomi71

tomi71

Same problem here. Downloaded but doesnt show. Waiting for the solution.

edit: found this via google and only later noticed that this issue was specifically for linux but I have win10 and same problem.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  31. VeryEpikDoggo

VeryEpikDoggo

Do you know what to do when installed assets go missing after one day? Because nobody has ever had this problem. I also can't install assets, neither log out of an accidental account creation. Did I log in at a bad time?

32. FireKnightCoder

FireKnightCoder

bro same

33. FireKnightCoder

FireKnightCoder