Search Unity

No application menu on linux editor

Discussion in 'Linux' started by antonio95woods, May 11, 2020.

1. antonio95woods

antonio95woods

I show no application menu, which makes the linux editor pretty much unusable.

Here's a screenshot:
    upload_2020-5-11_16-43-57.png

As you can see, I have no file, edit, etc. options. Has anyone experienced this or have any advice on how I might resolve this? Thank you

I found an old post that outlines the same issue. The solution in that thread, however, is either not relevant to me or just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm using KDE (not sure if this would make a difference). The "Global menu" panel widget usually renders my application menu bars.

2. MadWatch

MadWatch

I can confirm that the menu on Unity 2019.3 works with the Gnome environment on Ubuntu 20.04.

I have yet to try it on KDE (I want to). But I know that KDE has a Global Menu feature. It might be related to the problem you're experiencing. Maybe try to disable it. Or maybe try keeping the Global Menu enabled and install the packages needed to make it works with all applications (such as libdbusmenu-gtk3, libdbusmenu-gtk2 and libdbusmenu-glib).

antonio95woods likes this.
  3. antonio95woods

antonio95woods

@MadWatch you rock, thank you. That worked for the most part.

For future reference: the apt package is called libdbusmenu-glib-dev

That being said, most of the menu items are now grayed out (not all of them, though, so at least it is somewhat usable now)
    upload_2020-5-11_22-54-0.png

Any ideas? This may be a separate issue. If so, I'll consider posting a separate thread.

Thank you

Attached Files:

4. MadWatch

MadWatch

You're welcome.

Just out of curiosity, how well does Unity works on KDE?

5. antonio95woods

antonio95woods

Other than the grayed out menu items, superb. Better than the editor on my windows partition. It lags less often when playing my game.

That being said, I'm still finding myself using the windows version just because of the grayed out options. It would be ideal to switch over to the linux editor once I figure out this bug. Maybe I'll try it on gnome.

goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  6. csaratakij_unity

csaratakij_unity

I'm sad that they don't fix this yet...
    (It has been several month guys......)
    First I try with 'KDE_NO_GLOBAL_MENU=1'
    But it doesn't work.
    Turns out, gtk app seems to ignore this flag.
    I confirmed with another gtk app "transmission".
    It seems to ignore this flag as well, but the global menu in transmission works perfectly fine.
    In UnityEditor, I have to reload a layout.
    I select the default layout to make those menu items to work properly again.
    But if I do something like enter the play mode and then exit to the editor, the menu items will grey out again.
    I end up uninstall the appmenu-gtk-module as a workaround.
    I'm using Manjaro (KDE)
    This problem is clearly an UnityEditor issue.
    Can you guys give KDE some love?
    (Fix this please :D)

fauzannr likes this.
  7. Shinigami92

Shinigami92

I'm also affected by this

8. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

I'm too.

9. fauzannr

fauzannr

Thanks, the reloading layout works for me, even it's a bit annoying. It's been 2022 and they still did not fix this

10. Pino_B

Pino_B

11. ArtyIF

ArtyIF

I have the same issue with Global Menu. It sucks it's broken since most KDE apps look too clumsy with regular app menus (I have previously been a GNOME simpleton for a long time). Also sometimes the menu windows (Add Component, some dropdowns etc.) open at the top left of the screen instead of near the button. Also at first the menu works as intended, but then the grayout issue happens.

12. ArtyIF

ArtyIF

13. IronHelmet

IronHelmet

I'm on Kubuntu 21.10 with KDE 5.22.4 and don't have any problem with the menu bar. (I don't use global menu.)

The only problem I have seen so far is that editor panels/ tabs don't remember where they are supposed to be and when you bring up the color picker it appears in the wrong spot. There is some root cause related to the size or position of things on screen.

update: There is even an error in the console

RenderTexture.Create failed: width & height must be larger than 0
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadDefaultWindowPreferences ()

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  14. IronHelmet

IronHelmet