Search Unity

no API docs for UnityEditor.UnityStats

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Lost-in-the-Garden, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Lost-in-the-Garden

Lost-in-the-Garden

the API docs for UnityEditor.UnityStats are nowhere to be found, or at least my googling is not string enough to find them.

AlexandreDelan likes this.
  2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

The UnityEditor.UnityStats do exist... but are marked as undoc="true", so they are excluded from the docs. I'm not 100% sure why... Will ask some question internally...

3. Lost-in-the-Garden

Lost-in-the-Garden

secrets not to be told... :D

4. bstockwell

bstockwell

Any more info on this?

5. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I don’t have the official answer and haven’t looked into UnityStats, but there are a few cases of public APIs that are not documented because Unity does not support them for public use. Sometimes they may be public by accident or because of technical limitations. Previously, Unity staff said “if it isn’t documented, don’t use or rely on it”.

However, I also believe that these edge cases should be documented better. For example: “Unsupported API. This feature is visible but not officially supported due to technical limitations.” Or something along the lines of “Internal use only.” For all cases where this was decided by the developers. If something is completely missing we know that it might have been forgotten and can report it.

MartinTilo likes this.