Search Unity

No angular velocity from initial bullet (physics object) impacts

Discussion in 'Physics' started by wronginput, Jan 15, 2021.

1. wronginput

wronginput

First off, please take a look at this, particularly the first part where I'm shooting the corner of the floating cube...

I would expect the cube to spin around it's centre of mass from the very first bullet hit - but it just gets pushed away for a while before it finally starts spinning and reacting to the bullet impacts as I would expect.

The shootable objects in the air are have size (1), mass (50), drag (10) and angular drag (0.05), with gravity turned off. There are no constraint checkboxes checked - it has free movement.

Collisions are set to Continuous Dynamic and the physics settings are all at default.

The bullet has a weight of 1 and a velocity of around 200, so it's hitting them with a large amount of force and the collisions are clearly detected.

I can't for the world work out why the floating objects doesn't spin from the first shot.

I've tried more accurate physics settings, increasing/decreasing the mass/drag/friction/bounciness of all the objects involved, different collision settings, but it always just gets pushed for a while before Angular Velocity seems to have any effect.

Can someone let me know what I'm missing please?

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

wronginput likes this.