Search Unity

NJG Minimap [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by hjupter, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Do you need DF-GUI support for this asset?

Poll closed Jun 3, 2015.
  1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

2. hopeful

hopeful

I have run the demo scene in the editor and it runs flawlessly. However, I do notice that when running the build of the demo I don't get full functionality in my minimap. So while I'm not getting a crash, I am getting odd behavior. I've noticed this in my own project as well.

When I build the demo, I'm not getting the color of the terrain showing up. Also, instead of showing the NPC as a red dot (seeing his capsule from above), on the build the NPC shows up as a red arrow, and the red arrow doesn't change directions when the NPC does.

So there are bugs of some sort. There is inconsistent behavior between what you see in the editor and in the build.

In my own project, I'm starting to see inconsistencies in the editor and build, where sometimes it will follow my settings, and other times it doesn't. Like at first I tried to get FOW to show, and it wouldn't in the editor, but it would in my build. And now, without me changing anything (that I'm aware of), FOW is no longer showing in either the editor or in my build, though the settings are switched on in the inspector.

I'm new to NJG, so I may be doing something wrong. But yeah ... I do see a similar sort of inconsistency occurring between the editor version and build when running the demo, which says something is off somewhere, and it's not being caused by me being an inexperienced NJG user.

I'm sorry I have no further insight into your build crashing. Does it run fine in the editor?

EDIT: I have also had occasional crashes running my own project, which I haven't been able to pin down. I will try removing NJG and see if that stops the crashing. I may not be able to tell if that's it, though, because the crashes have been rare, but I suppose if I remove NJG and I get a crash, it would mean that NJG is maybe not the cause.

EDIT2: Now this is interesting. Without shutting down my running demo build, it is dynamically changing the NPC back and forth from red dot to red arrow to red dot ...

That's not how it's supposed to work, is it? I wouldn't think so.

EDIT3: I see. Whether the NPC is a red dot or arrow seems related to zoom, but in an inobvious way.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  3. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

I made a mini map in UI but after changing settings (I don`t want to show some building so I unmark some layers), Unity crushing. Or Unity changing in to a black (all window is black). So: demo scene is not working, and after changing Render Settings. the chanings are saving but Unity crushing.

4. hopeful

hopeful

@hjupter - Not sure if you are getting forum notices, but there are some bugs in the current release of the minimap. Settings are not consistently working in the editor; settings that work in the editor are not always showing up in the build; and some users are getting frequent crashes related directly to the current version of NJG in the latest versions of Unity.

5. hjupter

hjupter

This is a weird issue I'm trying to fix but I probably find the culprit so I will have a fix this week, Ill get you guys posted!

twobob and hopeful like this.
  6. hopeful

hopeful

BTW, I'd just like to say that the webdemo you have linked off of the asset store looks great, perfect for what I want to accomplish. :)

7. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

When the new version will be avaible?

8. EDarkness

EDarkness

It's been a while, is the NGUI version any closer to be finished?

9. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

It`s looks like if you want to use an asset you must buy it and fix on yourself.

10. hopeful

hopeful

I suspect there's a complication from all the revisioning Unity has done since 4.6. I wouldn't be shocked if there are serialization errors or something that are gumming up the works.

11. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

Version: 1.6.1 (Dec 21, 2015)Size: 3.5 MB

Originally released: 29 April 2013
    Package has been submitted using Unity 5.3.0.

Why you wrote about Unity 4.6 ?? On asset store is "Requires Unity 5.3.0 or higher"

12. hopeful

hopeful

@wioluskaelk - What I'm saying is that Unity has introduced a lot of code changes and a lot of bugs in the last year and a half. It has been difficult for many programmers to keep up.

13. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

but current version of NJG Mini Map is from December 2015 and it`s for version Unity 5.3.0. So if @hjupter mark/wrote on asset store that asset is working on unity 5.3.0 or higher then It should be working on version 5.3.0 also on picture of asset is Unity 5. For me it`s lying to customers.

PS Look:
    So he hasn`t unity 4.6 so I still don`t understand why you wrote about unity 4.6

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  14. Yukichu

Yukichu

When I paid for this asset, way way back when in Unity 4-dot-something-early, it worked for most things, but overhead XY was nonexistent. I asked for support but he couldn't really help me as I was requesting something new, so I worked with it, had the source code, got it working. Awesome. It was so much better than KFG map. It worked with NGUI very well. Excellent.

I understand there is no guarantee someone will keep their asset updated, annoying as that is. I understand there is no requirement anywhere for further development. I've been burned more times that I can remember. I accept this. I always hope it isn't the case, but I accept it.

I switched to unity UI around Unity 5 release. Map asset says it will get working with new unity UI eventually. Alright cool.
    It happened, it didn't work so well (for me), I got sick of trying to fix it again, and just moved on to another asset. That's just how it is and again, I accept and understand it.

My problem is the that the core product was to use NGUI or IMGUI. While this no longer affects me, seeing the NGUI support disappear even though it was originally working for NGUI is... ahem... strange.

tl;dr It's frustrating waiting for updates, crazy that NGUI support was removed though it originally had it and was why most people bought it, so just fix the issues yourself if you can or move on to another map asset.

EDarkness and hopeful like this.
  15. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

On assetstore is info that KGF is working on Unity 3.5 (If I remember correctly), so If dev made an update will be okey, if not, also, because it`s info that for Unity 3.5. For me the case is simply, if you buy something, you want to buy sth working, especially if on Assetstore is information that is for Unity 5.3.

16. EDarkness

EDarkness

You're totally right, but my project uses NGUI and it's too late to switch to something else. This means I'm stuck. I bought this asset originally because it worked with NGUI and worked fairly well for what I needed to do. Now Hjupter is all of a sudden not supporting NGUI even though it was supported originally. It's frustrating. It's just a waste of money and I feel like the product was good at one point, but due to the content creator it's gone to hell. Recently, I've been trying to buy assets from those who really care about their customers and product. That way I don't end up with something that isn't supported anymore and have to change everything in my project just to get it working.

In my opinion, Hjupter says that this isn't worth it, but honestly, I feel like he created this outcome by not being on the ball with updates, communicating with customers and solving problems as they happened. In the end, people will just move on to something else because the support isn't there or is better somewhere else. I suppose I could mess around with the code to get everything working in NGUI, but I just don't have the time for that and that's why purchased this asset in the first place.

All I want now is for him to just get this working in NGUI and I'll take it from there. He promised it would get done a long time ago and we're all still waiting. It's a sad situation and I really wanted to support the guy....

Yukichu likes this.
  17. Yukichu

Yukichu

Exactly. If it never supported unity UI, I'd undestand, it was already made for NGUI. I honestly don't see why the NGUI version wasn't kept up to date and just make a new Unity UI version to sell separately. Totally stinks.

EDarkness likes this.
  18. hjupter

hjupter

Hey guys once again I apolagize for the late update, I'm pushing a new version tonight. Whoever needs the update just send me a PM or send me an email. I will try to keep up with updates and bug fixes faster than before. Also I'm working on a new build for NGUI, I will push it to the asset store as a separate package but everyone who already owns the current NJG Minimap will have access to the NGUI version as a free update for now.

There is also a support forum here: http://www.ninjutsugames.com/forum/

Here is the updates:

- NEW: Huge performance improvements overall
    - NEW: Added new smooth position options for icons on Settings
    - FIX: Fixed issues causing Unity crash
    - FIX: Changing a marker type on map item inspector now works properly

hopeful likes this.
  19. hopeful

hopeful

@hjupter - When I run the demo included with the latest version of NJG Minimap, the red enemy capsules and white player capsule are baked into the minimap as though they are part of the geometry. They are at their starting positions. Occasionally I get a white square showing up on the minimap, when there is nothing in the scene that relates to that square.

I think that square is related to the North indicator. Not sure why it pops in and out. I've seen it show up with a red arrow in it, and I've seen it show up with a skull.

When I build the demo project, a lot of it seems to work, but there is no map texture.

Using Unity 5.3.2f1.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  20. hjupter

hjupter

To avoid that all its needed is to put those in a layer then ignore that layer on Map render settings. I will change that for the demo. I will take a look at the square issue.

Thanks for headsup.

21. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Just downloaded the asset and the demo scene works for me as far as I have played around with it in Unity 5.3.2.f1.

I also got a blue square on the Minimap and it seems to be related to the "Display Arrow" setting for the player Icon in the map settings, as soon I check the box for "display arrow" for the player icon, it disappears.

Here is a screenshot of the issue:

And here is a screenshot of the setting I was refering to:

I found another small issue with the fog of war, it seems that there is a offset between the player's position in the world and the area that is actually uncovered on the map. This issue gets stronger the more you move away from the center of your scene. For example, this screenshot shows the path I walked (marked in red) and the area that was uncovered on the map:

When I walk to the south / the bottom of the map, the offset is reversed:

I can still work on integrating the map in my current project but it would be great if this would be resolved in a future update.

22. hjupter

hjupter

Thanks a lot for the details, I will have this fixed ASAP.

23. hopeful

hopeful

Is that blue? I called it white. At any rate, that is the same box I was reporting. For me it would appear and disappear with no apparent reason, and as I said, sometimes it would have a red enemy arrow in it or a skull icon. I would get it to appear on the map by clicking on the map, but sometimes it would show (or disappear) and other times it wouldn't.

The issue of the map texture not appearing in the build is one I was having with the previous version as well as the current one. I suppose I could be doing something wrong, but what should I do different for a build when it is showing the map texture in the editor's play mode?

24. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

Heyoo ;) Anyone of you tried to use the world map and minimap ?? (I mean, add a minimap and change "minimap" to "world map" in setting) ?? Do you have the same "issue" that if you want to use world map, then mini map is grey ugly box?? Because I`m not sure that I made something wrong or not

Edit: For me it`s look like a "toggle visibility" doesn`t make "unvisible" map, it`s stay grey box -.-

25. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

I have now looked a bit more into this asset and I also tried using a minimap and a world map at the same time. I did not run into your issue, for me the toggle visibility really hides the minimap.

However I noticed some other issues with having the two different map types running together in the same project:

• I'm unable to create icons that will be displayed in both maps at the same time. First I had no icons in the world map at all. I checked the code in the MapItem class and it seems to be that currently icons are only supposed to be in the Minimap:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         void Awake()
    2.         {
    3.             miniMap = Map.miniMap;
    4.             worldMap = Map.miniMap;
    5.         }
    If I assign Map.worldMap to worldMap Icons are working on the world Map, but only either on the mini Map OR on the world map, not on both maps. From what I can tell in the code this seems to be intentional / not supported since the Icons are either register to be displayed on one of the maps, but never on both.

• I noticed that Zooming on the Minimap zooms in the World map as well.
    • I can only activate Fog of War for both map types at once, since both "settings..." buttons take me to the same instance of the settings dialogue. This is also problematic since it means both maps would use the same bounds, which is bad for me (see below).
    These issues make it hard for me to use the asset as planned. What I'm currently trying to do in my prototype is:

I'm planning to have a huge game world with multiple terrains. These terrains are loaded / unloaded dynamically around the player as the player moves through the world. I wanted to regenerate the Minimap whenever new terrain is loaded. (This alone works quite well already as long as the minimap is centered on the player.) Then I would like to have a world map which uses a prerendered larger image for the map, and Fog of War as well for undiscovered areas. This is currently difficult since the icons are only working on one map and I can't set FOW and bounds for each map type separatedly.

hjupter could you please tell me whether both map types are supposed to have the same settings (or if I'm not understanding the asset correctly) or if this is a bug that needs to be fixed?

I think I might be able to get it working as I want it by modifying the sources accordingly, but I would like to keep my hands off if it is a bug that will be fixed in an upcoming version.

hopeful likes this.
  26. loliconest

loliconest

Hi, I am making a moba. So I want to know that does your FOW support something like the visible area is moving with you, not like in your demo where once you've been there, it will be visible for the rest of the game? Also does the FOW supports sharing with teammate & other ally units?

27. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

FOW does seem to have a "trail" mode that decays the cleared FOW at a rate you can set. If you can't make it aggressive enough by default you certainly have a great example to work off of to hack your own solution in.

As far as sharing with teammates, I think the easiest solution would be to have a minimap icon representing each player that clears fog. The fog itself wouldn't sync, but it would essentially sync simply by syncing the position of the players (which you must already be doing anyway).

28. loliconest

loliconest

Thanks for your reply!

29. loliconest

loliconest

Hello, I just begin to use NJG. I want to know that instead of showing an area of the entire map following your position, can I just let it show the entire map? Do I select the Map Type to World Map in the Inspector?

I also want to know how to have different size of the gameobject called "Icons", which is what you would use for the boarder art of the minimap, and the "Map Texture", which is what you use for your actual minimap. For now every time I change the canvas of the Map Texture, which is not correctly fit inside my minimap Icons, the Icons would just resize with it.

30. mkgame

mkgame

Hey guys, if you still have fog rendered on your minimap camera, then change the NJGMapRenderer.cs :

1. Add this code.

Code (CSharp):
    1. private bool revertFogState = false;
    2.   void OnPreRender() {
    3.   revertFogState = RenderSettings.fog;
    4.   RenderSettings.fog = false;
    5. }
    2. Add at the end of the OnPostRender() method the line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. IEnumerator OnPostRender() {
    2.   ....
    3.   RenderSettings.fog = revertFogState;
    4. }
    Happy coding!

EDarkness and hopeful like this.
  31. EDarkness

EDarkness

It's been a long time since we were told that the NGUI version would be released. Any word on when this is going to happen? We've been waiting a LONG ass time for this and I'm wondering if it's actually going to get done....

32. hopeful

hopeful

FWIW, the UGUI version is still buggy and awaiting an update. I'm guessing the NGUI version comes after the UGUI version is fixed.

33. EDarkness

EDarkness

I think I'm just gonna give up on this guy. Been waiting for a year for the NGUI version and it's STILL not out. Just gonna assume that it's not coming out and move on to something else. He keeps saying he's gonna work on it, but months end up going by with nothing. Frustrating.

34. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

I have given up on this asset as well. I'm now using a combination of a free radar asset and a minimap tutorial from youtube to do the map system. For those interested:

Radar system (displaying enemies, POI, etc.): https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/33729
    Minimap tutorial: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/advanced-minimap-tutorial.169401/

The minimap tutorial might seem a bit long, but it was very intersting to follow along: It explains how to set up an automated overhead camera that takes multiple tiled images of your game world. During runtime, these tiles are put together dynamically in the correct order & place to display your minimap. This means you can create game worlds at any size and still have a high resolution minimap at the same time.

35. Liviuss

Liviuss

Any news on NGUI version?

36. EDarkness

EDarkness

You can give it up, man. The guy that made this asset is terrible and isn't going to ever really do anything about it. So it's better to find a better supported minimap solution. It's a shame, but that's the truth at this point. I'll never buy anything else from this guy again.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Yukichu likes this.
  37. BindingForceDev

BindingForceDev

Hi! Great asset first of all. I had little trouble understanding and implementing it. However, I am having FOW issues. Basically, it tends to reveal not at the location of the MapItem fow revealing objects, but is offset. What might be causing this? I have attached a sample pic of my expanded minimap (I am playing with the zoom and expanding it to reveal more of the map, but that isn't what is causing this as far as I can tell because the reveal offset it occurs at any configuration). Ignore the arrow pointing towards the bottom right too (that's just the north marker and I haven't adjusted the code to move it to the edge when I expand the mini map). MiniMapFOW example.png

38. Yukichu

Yukichu

Last response was 7 months ago from dev. NGUI update never completed. Uhm... @Funkenation -- you'll probably have to do what I did before I just abandoned using this asset... open up the code, find the fixedupdate / update that's running, put in a ton of stupid debug statements, recode parts for you stuff. Good luck man.

39. Timspurgeon

Timspurgeon

Hello How do you use this with multiple scenes? It works perfect for me once I set it up for my main world but I have 10 different scenes and if I go to new scene and set it up and name it and set my layers it changes the main scene.

40. Yukichu

Yukichu

If I recall correctly when I used this, you want to have your UI persist between scenes, when the new scene loads call whatever the rebuild/reload method is and it will update the minimap.

41. jtok4j

jtok4j

Oh dear,
    Website's offline... Well, posting here, just in case someone can help me.
    Love the NJG minimap, in spite of it's woes....
    However, I'm at a loss with this issue: I have a main menu scene which loads, and a main game playable scene, which includes the mini-map... In the editor all works as it should.
    Load the apk onto an Android phone, and the menu scene appears, then click play... the main game scene appears, and so does the mini-map, however it's showing the map of the previous scene... not the current scene. So I have a mini-map of the menu scene...

Thoughts anyone? I have messed with the settings, but can't seem to figure out why the mini-map has drawn a map of the previous scene... Thanks.

42. twobob

twobob

Think that says it all. Apologies I don't have an answer for you either.

However. if my life depended on it:
    Some on screen debug is probably in order of the minimap's objects' contents. Sounds like an event is not being fired (for whatever reason) that should push across the "current" reference to the mappable object.

Tediously you could observe the proper state in say windows, or the editor perhaps
    Then ensure the same state ACTUALLY exists on the android device via your cunning onscreen debug

When you find the event that inevitably is not firing...
    Weld around it. So, yeah derping 101 or find a product that has support and ideally more OPEN code.
    Sorry dude. I too was pissed about this project nosediving, but the dev is too flaky to be relied on for professional project development so.. maybe move on.

hopeful likes this.
  43. hopeful

hopeful

I found that what I saw in the editor was not necessarily what I would get in a build (IIRC). So test it in Windows OS and see if you can get it working there.

And if you find something to fix, if it's not too hairy post it here. Might help some other lost soul. ;)

twobob likes this.
  44. Artur7

Artur7

Hello hjupter, I have a question - I am using your minimal asset with Unity GUI, and when I tap M button, instead of seeing full world map, I see blank square instead of full map. can you tell me what is wrong? I am using newest Unity version

45. David5988

David5988

Hello, I bought this for my Project on Unity 5.6 but does not work. Gives me compiler error and prevents me to play Demoscene.

I need support on this subject. Thank you.

46. wood333

wood333

You should read some of the recent post above. There does not seem to be much/any support.

47. Avinash-pdy

Avinash-pdy

Hi,
    I am writing here because your email bounced.

We recently bought your plugin and want to integrate it in a mobile FPS game. Our game uses NGUI thats the reason we want to use NJG Minimap.

After importing we are getting lots off errors in your code. We are using is NGUI 1.8.2.

There is no error on NGUI side so i am guessing you have not implemented few things in NJGMap class.

Few errors

Ninjutsu Games/NJG MiniMap/Common/Scripts/Editor/NJGMapInspector.cs(717,47): error CS1061: Type `NJG.NJGMap' does not contain a definition for `atlas'

Ninjutsu Games/NJG MiniMap/Common/Scripts/Editor/NJGMapInspector.cs(976,66): error CS1061: Type `NJG.NJGMap.MapItemType' does not contain a definition for `sprite'

Ninjutsu Games/NJG MiniMap/Common/Scripts/Editor/NJGMapInspector.cs(999,59): error CS1061: Type `NJG.NJGMap.MapItemType' does not contain a definition for `arrowSprite'

Ninjutsu Games/NJG MiniMap/Common/Scripts/Editor/NJGMapInspector.cs(1009,41): error CS1061: Type `NJG.NJGMap.MapItemType' does not contain a definition for `arrowDepth'

Ninjutsu Games/NJG MiniMap/Common/Scripts/Editor/NJGMapInspector.cs(1540,37): error CS1061: Type `NJG.NJGMap' does not contain a definition for `defaultSprite'

Since these are in your code. I am sure you might have missed to put them in plugin or it was still work in progress.

Can you please let me know how to fix these or you have a separate plugin with all these fully implemented.

48. Yukichu

Yukichu

Good luck getting support. Read the thread. It's a ghost town. Going to have to find your own solution, code is included so it's entirely possible. I had to do it to make it work for me... but I and many others just moved on to other assets.

49. Avinash-pdy

Avinash-pdy

I think its better to write your own than make this work. Its completely unprofessional from his side to keep selling the asset without support. Will report this in Unity Asset Store.

50. EDarkness

EDarkness

Good idea. I think we should have done that a long time ago. Though, he had been saying that he was going to revamp everything, but it's all just words and it hasn't amounted to anything. Getting it removed would at least protect others from buying this asset.

Yukichu likes this.