Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NJG Minimap [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by hjupter, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Do you need DF-GUI support for this asset?

Poll closed Jun 3, 2015.
  1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. hjupter

hjupter

Hey everyone, wow.. lot of messages here wonder why the hell I'm not getting them on my email.. well anyways I just pushed a new version few weeks ago with Unity 5.1 now 5.2 has been released so hopefully it works there too, anyways I'm gonna test it ASAP. As for the NGUI version I'm working on it.

2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Curious as well.. Probably wont get to work with it until the weekend. Would love to hear from folks that get a chance to try it to see if it works between now and then!

3. dstew

dstew

HI. Glad to see this update.

I got errors running the update.

I am using Unity 5.2.0f3
    Don't see any errors related to this.

Requires Photon to use the demo. Not familiar with Photon and had problems getting it to work. I just configured it to go in offline mode.

Requires LeanTween to be installed.

The key mapping wasn't set up.

Hopefully an update to fix these issues will come out.

4. mentolatux

mentolatux

who want to help me to add minimap to my multiplayer game using photon

5. hjupter

hjupter

This is actually not the latest package I submitted, last one had Photon demo in a separate package so you don't get any errors when importing the asset. Hopefully the update should be up soon.

The latest version comes with a Photon demo scene ready for you :)

twobob likes this.
  6. mentolatux

mentolatux

thx i will try

7. EDarkness

EDarkness

Waiting patiently for the NGUI version!

8. jf3000

jf3000

I gave up on this and moved to get someone to make one instead, too many issues and couldn't seem to get the author to assist.

9. hjupter

hjupter

What issues were you having? Did you sent me an email about it?

10. jf3000

jf3000

I sent you several and got a very rude reply of being too busy to help at the moment, received that message twice over 3 weeks, then finally paid someone to help me make my own.

11. hjupter

hjupter

A very rude message from me? o_O.... whats your email?

12. hoodoo

hoodoo

Thanks hjupter! I'm running with the version I downloaded from you on Aug 3rd. The version says 1.6.0 but I wanted to check if any more changes were made since Aug 3rd? I did make a small code change to make the icons show up in the correct spot, and I ended up setting the minimap and worldmap up a bit differently than in the sample project. I couldn't get it to work with the override sorting for the icons canvas on the worldmap until I rearranged things a bit. I now have one canvas for both minimap and worldmap and then the canvases underneath for the icons in each and it all works correctly. Before this, the worldmap icons wouldn't appear. I think it may be a Unity bug with override sorting. It's possible I needed the code change mentioned earlier because of the way I have things set up, but I think the change would be safe for any configuration.

I just remembered that I also changed the code to not programmatically add the world map Canvas for the icons and created it at design time instead. That was what finally made the worldmap icons work for me.

13. twobob

twobob

@hoodoo - could you be a bit more specific about the changes you made?

14. hoodoo

hoodoo

Basically, in the screenshot below, you can see I have the Minimap Canvas as the parent of Minimap and WorldMap. Then I added the Icons Canvas underneath Map Texture in WorldMap as the icons were not showing up for me when this Canvas was added programmatically. I could have done the same for the MiniMap Icons, but that one seems to work fine adding it programmatically and I never went back and changed it:

I then modified the code in Map.cs for "public Rect Transform iconRoot" to not add the icons Canvas for WorldMap. I also made a change to correct icon offset as well as they were off-center. I changed the following code to set the position to zero:

Code (CSharp):
    1. mIconRoot.localPosition = new Vector3(0, 0, -0.1f);
    2. mIconRoot.localEulerAngles = rendererTransform.localEulerAngles;

15. huxley

huxley

In addition to the Photon error that I'm getting on Unity 5.2.1f1, a couple of more errors on my system.

16. hjupter

hjupter

I remember I saw your email with icon root position and I applied the fix for it, forgot to thank you for spotting that issue.. thanks.

I'm pushing a new update which doesn't require Photon, the multiplayer demo it will still be there but you will need to import it into the project.

For your LeanTween issue looks like the plugin was not added when I submitted the package since it was outside of the NJG Minimap folder, for now you can just go ahead and import the package here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3595
    I will make sure this gets added on the next update coming next week.

twobob likes this.
  17. EDarkness

EDarkness

Hjupter, how's the NGUI version coming along? Will it be ready with this new update coming?

18. xMikex

xMikex

Hello.

The new version no prefab. NJG Minimap/Prefubs not found.

err.jpg

19. hoodoo

hoodoo

Prefabs folder is inside the "Common" folder.

20. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

I just updated unity to latest version. I am now unable to build (for PC-64) due to an error in the Resource folder.
    (Tested in NJGMap example scene and also my own scene)

If I delete the NJGMap.asset that is in the resources folder then I am able to build my project, but the map does not work properly.

Does any one else have a fix for this problem?

21. hjupter

hjupter

Hi, I will push an update by next week

22. EDarkness

EDarkness

Hjupter are we going to get an NGUI version anytime soon?

23. super-cypher

super-cypher

Hi

ive sent 3 emails to dev but no reply...having a few problems so would be most grateful if anyone has a solution.

The direction arrows are not working properly. so for example if the object is way over to the left (so not in view on the map) the map should show an arrow in the direction to it…like on the demo, but thats not happening.

it works somtimes for objects that are in the scene on startup (but even they go missing from time to time) but not for pooled/spawned objects/MapItems...any ideas?

even the Player icon(object that is assigned to be tracked) vanishes from the map sometimes for no reason.

lastly when the player gets close to the Enemy object the icon doesn't change and flash with the sights icon (when it can ‘see' the object) like on the demo, what do you think i need to do to fix these couple of small things?

Many thanks

24. hjupter

hjupter

Hi, I just replied your last email. This will be fix on the update this week.

25. EDarkness

EDarkness

So, I've been trying to get the NGUI version for many months now with no success. I've heard nothing for a while now and still waiting. I've dealt with a lot of asset creators since I've started working with Unity and most of them are nice people who stick by their product and get things done in a timely manor. However, this isn't the case here. I understand getting busy, but what is the point of providing a product if it's not going to be supported? Unfortunately, I'm too far into my project to go back, so I'm stuck with this minimap that doesn't work and I'll have to find another solution since it's pretty obvious he has no desire to help or get this fixed. All I have to say at this point is beware and look for another solution if you need a minimap for your game.

26. hjupter

hjupter

Hi, I perfectly understand you complain and all I can say is I'm working on it, I've been very busy with my job but I'm still willing to keep supporting this even if I'm not getting much in return. Im trying to keep up with the UGUI version I know I still have to go back and make the NGUI version work but Ive got very difficult days, I have planned an update for UGUI this week after that I will try to get back the NGUI version with luck by next week.

nigel-moore likes this.
  27. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

I would like to take a moment to thank the dev. for his ongoing support of UGUI in spite of low returns and real life busyness..

Most of the other devs. have already stopped supporting other third party gui's like DF and NGUI because UGUI will probably render the others obsolete eventually anyways.

28. EDarkness

EDarkness

My feeling about this is that NGUI support was there day one and that's why I bought this to begin with. My project is too far along to switch to uGUI. I understand being busy, hell my own project is massively behind schedule due to my real life job. However, I was told that there would be an NGUI version for Unity 5 and I've been waiting patiently for it to be released. More than that, the description of the product still says it supports NGUI...yet it doesn't right now.

I've done my best to support the guy even when other people here were upset about not hearing anything for months. Maybe the return is low, but keeping a good connection with paying customers is a good idea in the long run. And I feel like return would be better with better documentation, keeping the product up to date, and more interaction with the customers.

Anyway, I don't really care about that. Right now, my only real concern is to have this asset working like it was before. If you need help with testing, then I'm more than happy to do that. At least that would be better than where I'm at now.

29. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

Hi, I have problem because after download asset, I have an error with photon/ workers. ThirdPersonCamera ::global. Do I deleted this script from photon and then Editor is crushed :/

30. hjupter

hjupter

Hey guys I have a new version almost ready for the asset store but you guys can get it now, just PM or email me with your invoice # and I will send you the new version. I will push the update this week.

Some of the changes so far:

- NEW: Easier setup, minimap ready in 2 Clicks!!. Just go to Create (or Right Click) > UI > Minimap and your minimap is ready to use and customize.
    - NEW: Editor preview. No need to hit play to see how the map texture looks.
    - NEW: Revamped and simplified demo.
    - FIX: Removed some unnesessary UI options from minimap inspector.
    - FIX: Fixed a lot of issues with rendering and positions.
    - FIX: The package no longer requires Photon.

I will jump into the NGUI version after this update.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    runningbird, red2blue and hopeful like this.
  31. runningbird

runningbird

Awesome can't wait to check out the update

On the NGUI version please make it to where those who don't have NGUI can easily not import those portions.

32. hjupter

hjupter

The NGUI version will be distributed as separate package and probably that will be the last update for it, also NGUI version wont have all new features, sorry NGUI users but right now it just doesn't worth the trouble.

33. EDarkness

EDarkness

Well, I don't care too much about features except the ability to change the map texture whenever I want and the ability to force the system to check objects in a scene whenever a new scene is loaded. The old system didn't do that and it made having NPCs in different scenes with an icon on them difficult to show on the minimap since it would give a null error if the main minimap script wasn't in the scene at the time of creation. Also, the shaders can't be Fixed Function.

34. hjupter

hjupter

All of that is fixed on this version. Map settings are now global so you can have map items whenever you want without errors.

35. Aston-Martin

Aston-Martin

Keen to get this asset, do u have a v1.50/1.60 build for Unity4.6.9 ?

36. hjupter

hjupter

Hi, I dont even have Unity 4.x right now but I can download it and make a package for it. I'm about to push an update so maybe that would be a good idea.

37. Aston-Martin

Aston-Martin

Yes, it would be wonderful, if i can click the green "BUY" button:) in unity4.6.9. thank u!

38. Vicnent

Vicnent

Any news about the NGUI version ?

39. DevoMage

DevoMage

patch 1.6.1 says:

"NOTE: NGUI version is still being worked, I will push an update with NGUI package soon."

Thanks for getting rid of the Photon requirement!

However, "Demo" scene crashes Unity 5.3... Please fix.

The demo crashes Unity when trying to open it in a new project. The new project has only import of 1.6.1 and the latest LeanTween. OS is win10 pro 64.

40. hjupter

hjupter

This sounds bad, I will try to reproduce it and fix it right away. Thanks for report it.

41. Aston-Martin

Aston-Martin

Brought V1.6.1 recently. Encounter a few issues and need your help to resolve :
    (1) Webplayer build - error CS0117: `System.IO.File' does not contain a definition for `WriteAllBytes’
    (2) Remark the error line and build the demo scene, Play back was choppy&stutter in firefox & torch browser.

Any help will be great! thank u

42. hjupter

hjupter

Hey, what version of Unity are you using?

43. Aston-Martin

Aston-Martin

PM u, the order number and details.

44. hjupter

hjupter

For those having the error with 'System.IO.File' just go to the MapRenderer.cs and remove lines 517 to 557.. this will fix the error, that code should not be there.

I will submit a new package to the store tomorrow.

45. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

I deleted it. After open demo scene, unity is crushed. When will be avaible working version ?

46. hopeful

hopeful

Just wanted to say I'm using this for the first time, on Unity 5.3.1f1, and while I haven't tried every feature it seems to be working fine.

47. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

I`m using also this version of unity, and i can not open demo scene in blanket project.

48. hopeful

hopeful

I just tried the demo again, and I don't even get a warning.

I'm on Windows 8.1 64-bit, using deferred / linear, building for PC, and using mixed asset serialization. (Not sure if any of those settings makes a difference.)

49. VREntertainment

VREntertainment

WIndows 7 Ultimate, 24 GB RAM, and it`s not working. After open Scene Unity Editor is crushing

50. hopeful

hopeful

If you haven't done it yet, try setting your empty project to the settings I listed, and see if that works.