Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Niryo One becomes clumsy when upgrading the PickAndPlace project to 2022.2?

Discussion in 'Robotics' started by Envilon, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Envilon

Envilon

Hi! I have upgraded the (correctly working) PickAndPlace project to Unity version 2022.2.0b16, and the robotic arm Niryo One become clumsy. The execution of the trajectory returned from moveit seems jittery, mainly the part when the robot is holding the cube. Sometimes, this results in the cube being dropped from the closed grippers during movement. If the cube stays gripped all the way to the TargetPlacement, the dropping of the cube is often not so elegant. It might get some slight spin during release and not drop right at the center of the TargetPlacement.

Did anyone else try upgrading to a pre-release version of Unity like this one? Were there any changes in physics that might have affected this? Or did the update simply change some settings should be aware of? Thanks for your advice!

2. RendergonPolygons

RendergonPolygons

I'm on Unity 2022.1.24 and works fine in editor/player but can't connect Hololens 2 to ROS.
    EDIT I can connect now as per our other chat thread

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  3. Envilon

Envilon

So, I was trying to experiment with this to figure it out. I compared the same project in Unity 2021.3.13f1 and Unity 2022.2.0b16. When I run the project in both of the versions, the performance is comparable (I'd say it's the same), but in 2022.2.0b16 the arm movement is jittery, and the cube sometimes slips out of the gripper.

So I looked at the Physics settings in both versions, and there are some differences. One difference that seems to have an effect on this is that in Unity 2021.3.13f1 there was an Auto Simulation setting, and in 2022.2.0b16, there is a Simulation Mode setting.
    p_settings.png
    If I change the Simulation Setting in 2022.2.0b16 to Update, the behavior is closer to the 2021.3.13f1. The movement is less jittery, but I also get a considerable performance drop.
    performance.png