Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pezz, Jan 2, 2017.

1. pezz

pezz

Will Unity3d support Nintendo Switch on release?

I am excited for this console and look forward to developing games for it.

2. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  3. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I am pretty sure Unity will support the Nintendo Switch, but the real question is when. Well, and other questions like when will it support GPU Instancing, and other new features from the latest versions of Unity.

4. pezz

pezz

I am not sure what the maxwell tegra will be capable of, but let us see.

5. Lockethane

Lockethane

The Switch has passed Vulkan compliance according to the Khronos website. So that means it should be able to do anything at least that the Android vulkan can.

6. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Technologies

Yes, Unity will support the Nintendo Switch.

iSetsu and Aiursrage2k like this.
  7. RichardKain

RichardKain

Unity had already announced their support for the Switch, so that would be a yes. At the same time, this was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Unity supported the Wii, as well as the WiiU. In fact, Unity was one of the more popular and extensively used third-party engines for the Wii. It was one of it's bigger selling points back in the day, when the Wii was riding high on multi-million unit sales.

Unity was likely always going to support the Switch, unless something truly heinous happened behind the scenes between them and Nintendo. Given how badly Nintendo needs 3rd-party support for their platforms, they would have had to be crazy to sour their relationship with Unity. So yeah, it was safe to assume Unity support as soon as the Switch was rumored, let alone announced.

8. DeepShader

DeepShader

Any news? I'm already singed for Nintendo Developer but there are no information how to build a game with Unity and how to publish it!?

9. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Unity is not the party to ask, access is granted by Nintendo. You mentioned you were already a Nintendo Developer so head on over to their forums and there is info on how to contact Nintendo regarding the switch. No other info can be shared since everything in there is under NDA.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._on.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As far as public information goes above and Nintendo's twitter accounts tell you all you need to know. In addition to being a Nintendo developer you have to contact them specifically with your game pitch and they are heavily curating at this time. Only if accepted will you get access to the switch tools. Unity Switch games have already been made so obviously it exists. However, Nintendo is the gatekeeper so asking Unity does not help you, you need to get accepted and then Nintendo will grant you access.

Meowsq, angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  10. DeepShader

DeepShader

Ok, thank you! That information helps me a lot. It like on Sony.. you've first to build a game for another platform like macOS or Windows and show it to them and then, if they like it, you'll get access to the tools.

To bad, that Nintendo can't communicate this like Sony does :)

11. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I wonder if i would have an easier time getting the dev console then the actual switch (still sold out everywhere)

Ryiah and N1warhead like this.
  12. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

Has anyone used the JetBrains Rider IDE to develop for Unity Nintendo Switch?

I need to renew my ReSharper Ultimate license shortly, and was considering Rider as an alternative to Visual Studio.

13. DeepShader

DeepShader

simply out of interest.. why you use ReSharper Ultimate or maybe Rider in the future instead of something like Script Inspector (AssetStore)? What is so much better with Visual Studio, ReSharper, ... for coding with Unity?

14. Peter77

Peter77

Console vendors often create plugins that integrate into visual studio for their sdk's. If you don't want to lose those tools, you should consider to stick to VS.

15. DeepShader

DeepShader

So these tools are Windows only, right?

16. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

You're right about that. I believe VS will be required for XboxOne development, however Rider seems to be working fine with Nintendo Switch at the moment. I ended up renewing ReSharper and adding Rider to the bundle.

Visual Studio and Rider are full IDEs that aren't tied to Unity. They can be used for non-Unity project. ReSharper adds a great number of features that can speed up development, especially when it comes to refactoring existing code and keeping code consistent with auto-formatting. Those features are built into Rider, which is from the same folks that release ReSharper.

I think most programmers would prefer to use standalone IDEs over script editors integrated into Unity, however the "Script Inspector 3" asset does look pretty cool.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Ryiah likes this.