Search Unity

¿Nintendo Switch support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alcaina7, Oct 21, 2016.

1. alcaina7

alcaina7

Hi,

Anyone knows if Unity is going to support Nintendo Switch? And when?

2. Mauri

Mauri

3. alcaina7

alcaina7

4. Mauri

Mauri

Not yet, but I'm sure we devs are getting informations on that in the next few weeks or so.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unity supports my toaster. So of course they will support a new console from a leading manufacturer.

Being a console it's likely to be tied up behind NDA agreements. So you won't see much news here. But if you are interested in developing for Nintendo, contact your rep with Nintendo.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Fastest way will be to contact nintendo, as Unity isn't allowed to comment on things before official time.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  7. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

How good is the support for indies???

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It will be business as usual for Nintendo. I don't imagine much will change.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

I don't know how difficult it is to get your game published but obtaining the software and hardware for creating games is literally as easy as signing up. Once you're signed up just download the software and order the hardware (it isn't free).

https://developer.nintendo.com/

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    kaiyum, Martin_H and Kiwasi like this.
  10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Nice. I wasn't sure how Nintendo treated indies. But I'm pretty sure it won't change much just because a new console is released.

Martin_H likes this.
  11. kaiyum

kaiyum

like @Ryiah said, I can confirm that obtaining sdk, middleware etc are very easy. Obtaining devkits are also easy if u have the money. please register and see for yourself :) Nintendo is very much indie friendly these days.

BrandyStarbrite and Kiwasi like this.
  12. SkobbejakGames

SkobbejakGames

Does anybody have a rough guestimation of how much the dev kits might cost (based on WiiU and 3DS devkits) or at least Dev Portal links/instructions to find the section that details where to find the dev kit costs (even if it is just for WiiU and 3DS)? We have signed up on the Nintendo Dev Portal and signed all the releavnt NDAs a while ago but we cant seem to find specific details on Dev Kit costs even for the WiiU or 3DS.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  13. kaiyum

kaiyum

All of your information are there. If you find any trouble further, please open a thread on their forum. There I can give you the direct link regarding the details, not just here as it would violate the NDA.

14. SkobbejakGames

SkobbejakGames

Thanks for the advice kaiyum, will check on the Dev Portal, if I still struggle then I'll contact you on the Nintendo Dev Forums.

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you're finding it difficult to navigate the developer portal, just use the navigation aid (it's the links on the left-most side of the page that will appear when you select one of the categories at the top of the portal). What you're looking for is much more obvious through that than attempting to read through the main content of each page.

kaiyum likes this.
  16. 8beat

8beat

Is the switch version of Unity already available?
    Can't find any info in Nintendo Dev portal or Unity official page.

17. simonshot

simonshot

Can't find it either

18. schmosef

schmosef

19. LaneFox

LaneFox

Get a Publisher to facilitate communication or wait on more info in the Nintendo Dev Portal.

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes.

At the moment they're restricting developer access.

21. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

You will need to get more Nintendo Switch developer information from the Nintendo Dev Portal and/or contacting your Nintendo Rep.

However, a Unity -> Nintendo Switch build does exist as several launch titles were made with Unity (Including Super Bomberman R and Snipper Clips!).

22. 8beat

8beat

I knew it was available for enterprises.
    I just wanted to make sure if a non-enterprise developer such as myself could get it.
    I guess I'll have to wait a bit more as the devkit isn't ready yet anyways.

Thanks for your replies.

23. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Not sure what you classify as an 'enterprise developer'. There are tons of indies making games for the Switch! Games such as the fantastic 'GoNNER':

And plenty more games here (I don't have an exact list of which are or aren't Unity):

24. MV10

MV10

Aiursrage2k and Ryiah like this.
  25. LaneFox

LaneFox

Official reply when contacting NoA as a freelance/indie developer seeking to purchase a devkit. I'm also a Wii U/3DS dev, which doesn't seem to influence their stand.
    I asked when stuff (nda/devkit availability/license agreements) would be available.
    So according to T1, zero information and access is available to regular developers and there is no estimate of when that may change.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Ryiah likes this.
  26. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Ryiah likes this.
  27. Carwashh

Carwashh

After seeing this thread yesterday, I registered with Nintendo. Can anyone say approximately how long they take to review the registration?

I find it odd how they're reviewing the registration when all they ask for is name, address and normal user details.

28. MV10

MV10

I've read the process eventually involves an avalanche of paperwork -- and faxes. Because Japan.

29. Carwashh

Carwashh

It's being dealt with by NoA, so hopefully no faxing involved.

30. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

AFAIR, registrations are now handled automatically pretty instantly. Did you sign the NDA?

31. Murgilod

Murgilod

It took me about four minutes. Not sure why it'd take you longer.

32. MichaelHerring

MichaelHerring

Unity Technologies

Hi, I'm one of the fine people here at Unity working on Nintendo Switch support. Thought I'd add a more official-ish answer. It's true, Unity support was announced along with the reveal video in December, and five launch titles (two are Japan-only) are made with Unity.

It's easy to sign up for access to the Nintendo Developer Portal but you have to request access to the Switch section. Use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom and find the email address most appropriate for your team/region.

Nintendo is gradually rolling out access to more and more developers so if you don't have it yet, hold tight! It'll be there soon.

RavenOfCode, schmosef and Ryiah like this.
  33. Carwashh

Carwashh

Haven't been given an NDA to sign.

It took me about 2 minutes to fill out the form, here https://developer.nintendo.com/register/create then received an email
    Logging in shows
    Still waiting... I assumed the wait was because of the Switch launch, and more devs were registering. How long ago did you register?

34. Murgilod

Murgilod

Oh, I registered ages ago, when the Switch was still commonly being referred to as the NX, but approval should still be pretty fast considering the Switch isn't part of the developer portal for most devs yet.

35. Carwashh

Carwashh

New devs registering probably don't know that or care so much atm, they still need to register regardless... and the release of the Switch may (probably?) have increased the number of registrations.

36. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...o_Switch_indie_dev_will_be_tough_early_on.php

“Right now we are being very selective about who we’re letting into the development environment, and through our portal,” he said. “Whereas with the Wii U and 3DS, we opened that up to everybody. I think our mentality was to cast that big net, [but] you’d never know when the next great piece of content was coming, or where it was gonna come from, or where it was going to permeate.

“This time around, we’re going to be a lot more conservative,” Baker said. “We don’t want to open up the floodgates quite yet.”

Baker realizes there’s a lot of interest among developers, but suggested that Nintendo is generally more interested in games that haven’t been on other consoles yet, here in the early stages of Switch.

37. kaiyum

kaiyum

You wont get switch at this moment, even if they accept your company. Its a bit odd that they are delaying company registration. In the past, they used to delay because of large number of applications. Now its a robust process. Wait anyway :(
    Like other people said, if you have a game that you think nintendo will like for switch, then mail NOA about it. They will knock you back. For more details about the process, please visit those related forum thread's replay by guys at SGSD on nintendo developer portal.

38. Carwashh

Carwashh

Not actually after the Switch just yet, just getting registered now and to have access to the info given out within the dev portal.

Would love to, but as they haven't approved my account yet... can't access the dev portal ;)

39. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

When I registered, it only took me a few minutes. But it does not matter. Nintendo does not list Switch information in their dev portal, and Nintendo won't add the Switch information even after you manually request it. Expect a response like this one: "We currently cannot provide any additional information related to developing for Switch."

40. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

This information is not accurate. I followed your advice regarding requesting access to the Switch section via the Contact Us link, and Nintendo said "We currently cannot provide any additional information related to developing for Switch."

41. Carwashh

Carwashh

Ignore the Switch, all I want right now is to have a Nintendo dev account.

42. LaneFox

LaneFox

These can take a really, really long time to approve. I actually forgot I applied it took so long. (4 mos)

43. Carwashh

Carwashh

Took 5 days in the end, I believe I got the approved email on the evening after my last post.

44. kubawich

kubawich

45. r35

r35

I heard that Switch support is available in 5.6..
    which means... from now on!

46. Carwashh

Carwashh

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/03/31/5-6-is-now-available-and-completes-the-unity-5-cycle/

You still need to get it from Nintendo anyway.

47. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unless you've heard it directly from Unity or Nintendo you're better off pretending you didn't hear it. Many people who spread info around, and are not simply linking to the info directly like @Carwashh, are usually wrong.

48. schmosef

schmosef

It's in the Unity 5.6 announcement linked above in the "new platforms" section.

49. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but he "heard" and he "read the announcement" are completely different things. I'd hope he would have said the latter if that's where he actually got his information from. I'm not saying the info is necessarily wrong. I'm just saying be wary of simply hearing it from a non-official source.

tanoshimi and schmosef like this.
  50. schmosef

schmosef

@Ryiah, About 1 second after I clicked submit on my post, I realised that you were making a broader point about rumours, not about whether Switch support was available. If I had the ability, I would have removed my post.