Search Unity

Nintendo Labo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jmitcheson, Jan 20, 2018.

1. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

This is neat - creating custom controllers with cardboard print-outs.

https://uploadvr.com/new-nintendo-labo-not-answer-vr-says-company/

I wish I had more free time; I bet you could come up with a cool use for a similar technique but with the Google Daydream controller and a customised arm model.

I am imagining a 2-handed cardboard gun where you insert the Daydream controller (like the PSVR Aim)

2. Max_Bol

Max_Bol

I'm seriously thinking about investing in Johnson & Johnson.
    They are the manufacturer of Band-Aids. Think about all those small cuts this will provide!

= EDIT =

I'm currently working (on my rare spare time) on something that is "kinda" like that, but a bit more on the next level. I'm working on a set of tools and instruction that will allow anyone to build their own controller with a Linux micro PC (like a Raspberry pie 2 or 3) and some starter kits for an arcade machine. (You can get all the stuff needed for about $135 on Amazon, excluding case/platform that hold the device as it's DIY and can be made with wood, cardboard or 3D prints.) Instead of being stuck with something limited like 2 controller part and a touch screen (which is good for a "Everyone") like Nintendo, I'm doing toward the road that you can have something like a screen that display something like a radar or an inventory, a digital counter on your controller that display remaining bullets or cash owned (or whatever information), etc.

For now, the beta project I'm working and planning on is a futuristic mech/tank game which will be playable with standard mouse and keyboard, but also with a DIY controller. :p

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In any case, all of this illustrates the wasted potential around us. We only need an engine and some imagination.

dogzerx2 and Ryiah like this.
  4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I can't do anything until a MMO button is provided to me!

I bet UE4 has SEVERAL MMO buttons by now ...

5. neoshaman

neoshaman

People have been providing product like that in the indie space using mobile (and its camera) since forever, nintendo just have the marketing ploy to get everyones eyeballs, I'll see if I can find and post some old example.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but you know how it is. You have a series of normal products and then suddenly Apple releases one and everyone sees it as the first real product on the market.

neoshaman likes this.
  7. FMark92

FMark92

How much for proprietary cardboard PDFs?
    Oh never mind. I found an article.
    Pfshrt heheheheeheheheh
    I love how they think they're doing anyone a favor charging more than $10 for colored cardboard.

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

They're giving out the patterns for free, so you can make your own if you so desire.

edit: Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr not... http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...te-nintendo-land-cardboard-patterns-for-free/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    FMark92 likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's more complex than that though. I see at least one rubber band. Just imagine the trouble of acquiring it. :p

FMark92 likes this.
  10. FMark92

FMark92

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

mmo_button.png

12. elmar1028

elmar1028

I tap it and nothing happens!

Where is my MMORPG? :mad:

Edit: Oh I get it! Silly me, I need a touch screen to do that!

BrandyStarbrite and dogzerx2 like this.
  13. FMark92

FMark92

Quick survey.
    Is the MMORPG button the best meme unity forums have ever produced?
    If so, are cryptogoblins close second?

dogzerx2 and Martin_H like this.
  14. neoshaman

neoshaman

It existed before unity? Go back and read gamedev.net forums, heck even blitz3D had some

dogzerx2 likes this.
  15. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Tfw not making Ragnarok Online on Blitz3D :-/

neoshaman likes this.
  16. cjdev

cjdev

I was interested until I heard the cost was something around $60 for what is essentially some cardboard.

17. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I really dont think there was a need to necro a 1.5 year old thread just to say that. No-one is still reading this, unnecessary bump.

EDIT: Nice try with spam + necro post for trying to pretend that has anything to do with game development. good day.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019