Search Unity

VFX Nintendo 64 (N64) Shader Pack!

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by SameDev, Jul 1, 2021.

1. SameDev

SameDev

Hello, I have started work on my first Asset for the Asset Store! A few months back I tinkered with a URP shader that mimics the characteristic "blurry" filtering that the Nintendo 64 used and today I would like to share some of the progress I made in putting together a comprehensive N64 Shader Pack for Unity.

The N64 employed trilinear filtering, similar to Unity's built in method, however not quite the same. As you can see below, Unity's filtering method looks pixelated, however my solution overrides filter method, yielding smoother results where diagonal lines look smooth and crisp. Due to the kaiser shaped artifacting, this detail is kept crisp and pixelation free, no matter how far you zoom in. This effect is most noticable when viewing the image below in fullscreen. M64_Preview.png

This is still a work in progress. I have a shader for most of the use cases but will add more over time once things are further along. For now I plan to create a presentable scene that includes all of the shaders above as well as documentation as the art style has quirks that should be highlighted. Anyways that is all I have to share for now, if you have questions or comments please let me know!

CPU64.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    DevDunk, BrandyStarbrite and modler2 like this.
  2. SameDev

SameDev

I have completed the pack and will be released soon! Keep an eye out for it! Logo.png

3. modler2

modler2

Love this.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  4. Alvarden

Alvarden

Hello there! Any news about the asset? There aren't many solutions for N64 shaders for Unity compared to others such as PSX shaders, so this seems really interesting :).

5. GrandAlchemist

GrandAlchemist

I'm also interested in this. Thanks!

6. Alvarden

Alvarden

I was contacted by the Author. The project is discontinued, so there will be no updates here.

Sorry for the bad news.

7. dactilardesign

dactilardesign

ah bad news....