Search Unity

Night Day Game Prototype

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by omgitsalexl, Nov 23, 2011.

1. omgitsalexl

omgitsalexl

Below is a fairly low quality video (Blame the video recording software, or my ancient machine) of a Unity3D prototype, possibly soon to enter full development. I am currently in a pre-alpha play testing stage to work on game mechanics, how gameplay can be varied, and most of all to find out how a game as such would appeal to the masses. Any thoughts or insight given would be very much appreciated!

The current concept of the game prototype is that of a puzzle platformer, jump from platform to platform to reach the end in as few tries and as quick as possible. To vary this simple idea, a number of the platforms that are needed to reach the end, are only available during night or daytime hours. The player is given complete control over the time of day in order to reach the desired goal.

A few items currently in the works, are traps such as saw blades, lasers and other little things to give the player a bit more of a challenge. I am always open to hear ideas concerning gameplay ideas and options, so if there are any you have in mind, please feel free to share!

Back to the video, I must apologize, but the night portion is very dark in the video, not sure as to why, the actual game is a bit brighter. Just throwing that tidbit out there now.

This first post is simply a cross from the What Are You Working On thread, but by making my own thread I am providing myself with a dedicated place for new updates, videos, images and feedback.

2. ludiares

ludiares

Good idea. Keep working on it :)

3. DayyanSisson

DayyanSisson

I really like the idea for this game. It seems like it would fun to play. What platform is this targeted for?

4. omgitsalexl

omgitsalexl

So I've had a few comments off of the Unity Community Forum asking a few questions of the current video posted (11/23/2011), as I have received some questions offsite I figure they may exist here as well. As such, I am providing a copy and paste of the answers to the questions here. Enjoy, and as stated, please feel to post and questions, comments, or concerns with the prototype!

5. Duskling

Duskling

It's cool, but I see this idea reused so often.

Like that flash game shift, and there are many other games that use the "seperate dimension" platforms.

However I have not seen one with the night and day yet. keep working on it :D

6. omgitsalexl

omgitsalexl

MrDuskling;
    I knew that the idea had been used quite a few times, but I was not aware that it had been so overused. With that being said, a large reason why I had chosen this genre, if you will, is that it is well known and is not leaving me to have to invent new gameplay mechanics. I, like many of us, have too many games that I have started work on but never saw through to completion. With this fairly basic genre chosen, I hope to make this my first complete and released game.