Search Unity

Nice Transparency package

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chickenlord, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Hi guys,

the Nice Transparency shader package has just been released on the asset store. It's designed to give you better looking transparent objects, with less artifacts and proper rendering of both front- and back faces. In addition it allows for a smoother edges.

Here's the link to the asset store page and some screenshots:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/7793

Attached Files:

• $S6.png
      $S6.png
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • $S4.jpg
      $S4.jpg
      File size:
      439.5 KB
      Views:
    • $S2.jpg
      $S2.jpg
      File size:
      382 KB
      Views:
    • $S5.png
      $S5.png
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  2. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Fantastic :) Well be picking up a copy of these for sure. Wishful thinking I know but will these work on mobile devices?

3. cician

cician

Is this some order independent technique? Like depth peeling, stochastic or weighted sum? Does it require Unity Pro?
    In either case nice to see someone working on transparency in Unity :D

4. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

I haven't tested them on mobile yet, but as far as i can see, some of them should actually work just fine (i.e the bumped specular one). However the performance hit is probably too big to draw more than just a few objects. I'll try them on android tomorrow and let you know what the results are.

Unity Pro is not required and it's no order independent technique as well. It's a rather straight forward multi-pass approach which makes it a lot faster than the approaches mentioned by you. Of course this means it has a few more artifacts than i.e depth peeling, but i guess the performance benefit is worth it.

5. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Okay, so i've made a quick test on mobile and the non parallax and non reflective versions do work. However, as expected, the performance hit is a bit too large. Tested 6 Objects which took up the entire screen on a Qualcomm QSD 8250/Adreno 205, and got about 15fps. So on current gen devices, more than one or two objects at a time will probably be too much.

6. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hey Chickenlord,

Are there any workflow changes to using these shaders compared to the built-in ones? Do I just need to put one shader on all of my transparent diffuse materials, for example, or is anything else needed?

7. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

No changes. You just assign a shader and it should work fine. I've added multiple possible layers though, so in case the object sorting fails at some point, you can move the affected objects to another layer to fix it.

8. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Sounds wonderful! I'll be picking this up soon then =)

9. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

I've uploaded a short demo video. Take a look ;)

[video=youtube_share;QMb5bVcdJqQ]http://youtu.be/QMb5bVcdJqQ

10. kenshin

kenshin

Really interesting work! :)

Is this working both on webplayer and mobile devices?

Kenshin

11. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

There should be no difficulties in the webplayer at all.

But for mobile, as said before, it's too heavy unless you're planning to only draw one or two objects at a time. In addition, mobile devices have quite a bit of problems with transparent objects which cover a large portion of the screen. They really don't like overdraw ;)
    Other than that, most versions work, except the reflective and parallax version, because those are ShaderModel 3.

12. jashan

jashan

Good job, this looks really nice! It's in my shopping cart and I'll buy it soon :)

13. kenshin

kenshin

Thanks for your answer.
    I'll buy soon too!

14. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Just bought ... this pack is really "nice" as its name suggests! :D

15. kenshin

kenshin

Feature request :)

Please, can you add a double-sided version of your shader to the package?

Kenshin

16. Orion

Orion

I just bought this. I have two objects next to each other and the camera can freely go to any side. The object I put on layer 0 always "overwrites" the ones on higher layers, so you see the background through. If I put them on the same layer I get the same artifacts as with the regular tranparent shader.

Is there some automatic way I can tell which object should have which layer?

Also, my objects have more than 65000 polygons (CAD scans), so I have to split them up over multiple meshes. With your shader and this setup I actually see more artifacts (e.g. holes where polygons are in a 2nd or 3rd mesh) than with the regular transparent shader. Do you have any tips how I could resolve this?

Thanks in advance!

17. Evil-Dog

Evil-Dog

Hi there, I don't know if this is still a valid point to get support. I'm having an issue with the shader when used on ipad on a mesh with a blendshape. It's fine on pc and mac but on ipad, it looks like the normals are inverted and all I see are the soft edges, the fall off I think it's called, that are darker on the edges of the model.
    Any idea why I'd have a problem on ipad with nicetransparency and blendshapes?
    Thanks

18. artician

artician

ChickenLord! Are you still active? I sent a PM a month or more ago and your profile says you haven't logged in since Aug. 15th. *poke*

19. artician

artician

Can someone help me change one of these shaders to an Unlit shader? I want the beautiful sorting and smooth alpha falloff that this shader provides, but unlit. I was disappointed that the package had everything but the one shader I purchased it for. Now I can't get a hold of ChickenLord and have no real way to making that modification myself.

Any help is appreciated.

20. 3DCG

3DCG

Hi, will you have an update for this package on Unity 5. Right now, my models are really dotty. Please help!!!! Thank you.

kenshin likes this.