Search Unity

TextMesh Pro NGUI Support?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Meltdown, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Meltdown

Meltdown

I have my project in NGUI and my artist is asking me about using TextMeshPro. I imported the latest TextMeshPro from the asset store but its script seems to have a dependency on Unity UI Canvas.

Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

With NGUI, users have been using the normal <TextMeshPro> component which uses the Mesh Renderer. This component has a CanvasRenderer but it is not used and will not affect anything.

3. Meltdown

Meltdown

How do I add that component to or underneath my NGUI widget? I'm not sure what you mean by the 'normal' TextMeshPro component.

I tried adding the sample prefabs as a child of my UIWidget gameObject, but they add a RectTransform component which affects my anchoring.
    https://prnt.sc/o2ew35

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The normal <TextMeshPro> component is located in the 3D Object menu as seen below.

upload_2019-6-15_21-57-25.png

The fact that it has a RectTransform as opposed to a Transform should be fine. I haven't played / looked at NGUI in a long time but I know there were TMP users using TMP with it well after I added the TMP_Text and RectTransform.

I suggest doing a search here on the forum or on the TMP user forum as this might reveal some details that I am overlooking here.

Meltdown likes this.
  5. Meltdown

Meltdown

I only found stuff from 2-3 years ago and the TMP forum is closed for registration. But thanks I’ll try this.

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

You should still be able to see the posts on the TMP forum.