Search Unity

NGUI PSD Importer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by merlin981, Feb 8, 2014.

1. merlin981

merlin981

NGUI PSD Importer allows you to quickly import a formatted PSD into your Unity project as a new NGUI screen, in only a few minutes. With pixel perfect precision, the layout you worked so hard on in Photoshop will appear identically in your Unity scene, with all the appropriate NGUI components attached and configured automatically.

When focused on Unity development, the last thing you want to do is waste your time trying to adjust your NGUI UI to match as it was planned in Photoshop by your artists. NGUI PSD Importer automates the entire time consuming process of matching your artist’s design with your Unity UI.

Asset Store URL: [PENDING]

2. Doddler

Doddler

Looking forward to seeing how this works. There have been a few other attempts in the past to do PSD -> Unity workflow, but they've generally been hampered by difficult workflow or lack of support. Hopefully your asset can fill in some gaps. :)

3. Tripwire

Tripwire

Cool! how much will it cost?

4. merlin981

merlin981

I think you'll find it's pretty straightforward. I've tried very hard to make it as simple as possible, and have tried to make the documentation as detailed as possible.

Of course, as always, if you have issues you can submit them here or PM me.

If you want to get a head start on the documentation, you can find it here: http://unitydocs.rocketgamesmobile.com/NGUI%20PSD%20Importer%20Documentation.pdf

5. merlin981

merlin981

Current price is $20, which is half of the existing competition.

I'll also be trying to get it on the 24 hour deal, but that usually takes several weeks for a slot to open

6. Tripwire

Tripwire

Really nice price! And it works with the latest NGUI?

7. merlin981

merlin981

Yes, I designed it to work with the latest version of NGUI

8. Tripwire

Tripwire

Great! I hope it comes out soon :)

9. badawe

badawe

Hey I LOVE IT I GONNA BUY IT NOW!

Ow Wait.

I developed this plugin, aka FastGUI and now you take my Plugin FastGUI, that have't been update because some legal issues, stole my source code, and don't even care in change anything, rename it, and now you are trying to sell? I don't think you gonna far away with that.

10. merlin981

merlin981

Hi Badawe,

I didn't steal your plugin. You have a great plugin that works for older versions of NGUI, and your users have been clamoring for an update for months to work with the new version of NGUI.

I created a new plugin that performs the same function - importing a PSD to Unity to work with NGUI.

Yes, I modeled the plugin based on my experience with FastGUI, but the plugin code is written by me, and not taken from you.

11. badawe

badawe

Sorry man, but this is exactly my Panel. You not rewrite anything you just update it and renameit?

FastGUI Window:
    $Screenshot_021114_052159_PM.jpg

PSD Importer
    $Screenshot_021114_052239_PM.jpg

You dont even change the warnings =/

12. merlin981

merlin981

1) I already said I modeled it after FastGUI.

2) You haven't even seen the code, so you can't really compare and say I stole your code. It hasn't even been released.

3) Yes, the screens are very similar. Mine has more features than yours, though, as you can see in your own screenshot.

13. RyuK

RyuK

Will it support UIDraggablePanel and UIDragPanelContents for a list view?

14. merlin981

merlin981

Hi RyuK,

Not currently. But, if you want to PM me a PSD with what you have in mind, I'll be happy to add list view support.

Thanks,
    Philip

15. icheng

icheng

really excited for this! can't wait until this is out!

16. merlin981

merlin981

Thanks very much :)

17. thomas4d

thomas4d

I just want a working version when can i buy ?

18. merlin981

merlin981

It's pending approval from Unity now. I believe it will be ready by the end of this week - but please keep in mind Unity provides me to info when an app is pending until they completely finished reviewing it.

19. merlin981

merlin981

I just checked the status of this package, and its still pending approval. Unity won't answer my emails asking when it will be ready. Hopefully it will be approved and available early next week. Apologies for the delay, but this is out of my hands :(

20. merlin981

merlin981

I received an email from Unity today declining the package because NGUI PSD Importer is "mostly influenced from FastGui by Monster Juice". The Unity rep also stated:

"Besides that, there's a strong disapproval from Monster Juice regarding your package".

While I do feel they are mistaken in declining the package, I respect Unity's decision to not host the package, and to not be an arbitrator between Monster Juice and myself.

I have decided to post the package on my website. I am putting together a page for it and will have it available later this week. If the Unity mod will allow, I will post the link to the package in this forum. If not, you'll have to check my website (view my profile and click Homepage).

Thank you everyone for your early support.

PS - I'm working on adding a scrollable view to the list of functions (see NGUI's Scrollview Panel example scene). This is great for any items you need to have scroll off the screen (like achievements lists, etc).

21. icheng

icheng

I'll be on the lookout for your plugin on your website, thank you! :)

22. merlin981

merlin981

hey guys, just a quick update....

Monster Juice (maker of FastGUI) and I have agreed to partner up to offer a new version of FastGUI. We will be working together on this new version, and have big plans for additional UI enhancements and import options.

We're finalizing the contract now, and should have a new version submitted to Unity some time next week.

23. badawe

badawe

Yeah!

You guys can expect some awesome news soon :)

24. ibps13

ibps13

Great news !

I bought FastGUI there a while and I was disappointed when stopping the development, I can finally use with version 3 of NGUI.

Will there be a price for users fastGUI? :)

Thanks

25. merlin981

merlin981

Since the package is being published under FastGUI, anyone who has purchased FastGUI will receive the update without additional charge

26. icheng

icheng

Let us know when you've released the update please? Thank you for keeping up with this thread!

27. merlin981

merlin981

We have the package ready to submit to Unity. We're finalizing the contract between ourselves, which should be done by tomorrow. Once the contract is finalized, we'll submit to Unity under Monster Juice's FastGUI.

28. Tripwire

Tripwire

This is some great news guys! I purchased FastGUI a long time ago and it was working perfectly for me until NGUI version 3. I hope to get the new package soon as i'm starting new projects this month :)

29. ferretnt

ferretnt

Fantastic news! Is it submitted yet? I ask because we're very soon going to have to fix up FastGUI ourselves, or otherwise get some PSDs over, and it would be great to use the official version instead.

30. merlin981

merlin981

Yes, Monster Juice submitted the new version of FastGUI earlier this week. It usually takes Unity about a week to review and approve, so the new version should be available some time next week.

31. merlin981

merlin981