Search Unity

NGUI (Next-Gen UI) -- demo final feedback request

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ArenMook, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I'm quite a bit late to the party on this, but couldn't you have just used OnPress to enable/disable Update() on object you want to react to "hovering"? And if you're already using Update() for other things, you could make a bool that's local to the object, like 'isHovering' or something.

Is there other data you need besides just whether it's hovering or not?

2. spurge0n

spurge0n

$Screenshot_2012-11-01-19-40-26.png

Has anyone seen this? Not doing anything fancy. Just a standard NGUI with a 2D camera. The device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

3. ArenMook

ArenMook

Looks like your camera is set to not clear the color. Did you first create the UI then delete the main camera? That would do it.

4. spurge0n

spurge0n

Yes, that was it. Thanks.

5. Progeny

Progeny

Hi, I'm using NGUI with Unity 3.5.6 and I get some trouble with atlas... now on the iPad retina, menus and fonts look stretched...

But when I was using Unity 3.5.5 everything was ok...

What's going on?

6. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

Just have to give HUGE thanks for this software. I bought it when it was on sale a while ago, but haven't used it till now. This could have saved me so much time on my old project it isn't even funny! Like seriously, very worth the money!

7. ARConnex

ARConnex

Wondering if anyone else was attempting to register for the NGUI forum and having "no activation emails issues" .
    Have a couple emails into them but no reply yet and no activation email.

Ill give it another week and see, I could post the NGUI question here but seems like their forum is where it should be.

All the best
    Evermax

8. Dreamer

Dreamer

Report Bug:
    1. Place a UITexture on and parent it to Panel A
    2. Then parent it to a Panel B and BroadcastMessage "CheckParent"
    3. Then parent it back to Panel A and BroadcastMessage "CheckParent"

Panel B will still has the material reference and it being rendered. Thus the UITexture is redered 2 times. The only way to fix it is to destroy UIPanel on B, and create a new one on it, then it will be refleshed. But it will result a blink of UI.

Please fix this urgently

9. ArenMook

ArenMook

@evermax: I've replied to you twice via tasharen.com and twice more via gmail.com. Your email provider actively blocks all my emails from tasharen.com, no idea about gmail. Register with a non-nazi email provider, and everything will work fine.

@Progeny: Please use the NGUI forums for support. I can't tell you what's wrong. Try posting some screenshots and providing some basic information -- what version of NGUI you're using, for example. Do it on the NGUI forums though, this thread is way, WAY too long and useless for support.

@Dreamer: Same thing -- NGUI forums, please. There are several threads on how to re-parent things properly, and NGUI comes with an example that does it -- drag drop.

10. Dreamer

Dreamer

You still haven't approved my account! user name - fgame

the drag&drop has no UITexture, the example is not appropriate in this case. UITexture is different.

11. ArenMook

ArenMook

Sometimes the automated registration blocks registrations that appear to come from known spam sources. I don't get notified of this. If your registration doesn't allow you to post immediately, then it's effectively blocked. In your case, this is why: http://www.stopforumspam.com/search?q=220.255.1.113

I've gone ahead and approved your account manually. :p

12. blaze

blaze

@badawe Now you made me think about one thing, is NGUI a good solution to manage scenario sprites, like you are showing in the FastGUI video?

13. blaze

blaze

FastGUI created a new type of workflow to the NGUI Asset. Then, I think that it is good to NGUI too!

14. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

If that's the case then so be it but when I saw "FastGUI" posted in NGUI it felt like spam to me from a competing product...

-Will

Edit: Okay, I read the product thread for FastGUI:

"*You need NGUI to use this plugin
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/114...edback-request

In this case I stand corrected - I'll attempt to remove my posts...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  15. blaze

blaze

Me too. Then I stopped everything and researched about FastGUI. I thought that was an sales opponent, but FastGUI is an "ADDON" to NGUI. :)

Will, cool haircut! =]

16. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

LOL thanks, yeah, bad hair day perhaps - I may have to investigate this FastGUI myself, uh, ahem...

Does it work with OTHER photoshop hosts? I prefer Fireworks, actually over PS

-Will

17. badawe

badawe

Sure! We are making one slot racing game, and its entirely NGUI + FastGUI:

The better is, just 2 draw calls :)

Sorry guys, if i don't explain myself correctly! FastGUI is a ADD On for N-GUI :)

Sadly by now we only support Photoshop, we are making the exporter for GIMP but to fireworks can be really easy to make, i'll do some research about it.

18. blaze

blaze

Tchê, te salvei da ira do gato escabelado! :)

Nice, I will buy FastGUI to give a try.

19. MetaMythril

MetaMythril

hmm... from watching the video, FastGUI seems pretty cumbersome to have to rename all of the layer copies so that they match, or else they will become separate images (if I understand that correctly). I also initially thought it was a competing product spamming because of the name. It should really be named something like PSDtoNGUI or something that outwardly indicates its reliance on NGUI other than the scant statement on the release thread.

When did plugins for plugins start becoming a thing? It seems like it would eventually become an upgrade nightmare should you update one plugin and a conflict exist because another isn't updated. You can really get stuck between a rock and a hard place if one version has something you like and the stability you like but a newer version of another dependent plugin has something you like but is incompatible with... oh you get the idea. -_-

20. badawe

badawe

To us at Monster Juice rename the layers is just matter of keep things organized! We do that, even if we don't use FastGUI, but the FastGUI become one of our main recurses in all of our projets, we get the things from photoshop to NGUI really fast, just teaching our artists how to make things in the right way! And we keep a precious time on make the gamplay!

btw the initial name was PSDtoNGUI, but the plugin by now is mutch more than that, we are planning the relese of the exporter to GIMP and making this work with the new Unity 4 GUI.

About the plugins for plugins start becoming a thing, i don't know, but i really don't see the problem, as the same way you pay for the initial plugin and trust the plugin owner, that they don't drop the support, is the exactly same thing with the "Plugins for Plugins" and with the asset store fast update process, the update is really fast and painless, but is just my opinion.

21. Dreamer

Dreamer

Can anyone open NGUI website or forum. Is the server down?

22. ArenMook

ArenMook

Seems to be working fine.

23. Bretfort

Bretfort

Moved to NGUI Support Forum: http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?topic=2256.0

----------------------------------------

Hi Aren,

I am working on a game where I need to use a number of fonts, some of the fonts are similar only the color of the text is different. Currently we're doing it by applying tint on a label. But for that we have to iterate through every label and change color incase the UI design changes.

It'll be great a great add on if we get Color tint on UIFont script level, i.e. override the color on the label, and use prefab color instead. This way not only we can define a color in one place, but also it is possible to change the font/reference any time without worrying about how a certain label will look like with new font and the applied tint.

I have changed files with me, I tried using polymorphism but it is becoming difficult as I have to duplicate Editor script, then I had to duplicate NGUI editor tools script in the new folder as well. Moreover I had to explicitly cast UIFont to GAUIFont in many places (GA==myFile).

The change is small, I really do not want to put the change in NGUI class so that in future if somebody upgrades it with newer version, he'll lose my changes. Do you want me to send you code snippets, or changed files for review?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  24. Dover8

Dover8

I'm also looking for this support, has it been fully considered yet?

25. BTStone

BTStone

Hey there,

i just wanted to know something about Touch-Gestures. I am working currently with the FingerGestures-PlugIn and i wanted to know if i have to use it with nGUI, or does nGUI deliver its' own touch-classes?

I am building a simple Controller-UI (4 Buttons to move around/jump/attack) and wanted to know if i should use the FingerGestures-Scripts or the ones for/from nGUI.

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

is there a way to specifiy the "start" and the "end" on radial 360 filled sprite?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  27. ArenMook

ArenMook

@Dover8: Yes, actually. But not yet implemented.

@Mayhem: Two plugins work fine together. Search NGUI support forums for "FingerGestures".

@gotstyle: Just rotate its transform.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hm... doesn't change anything.

Is it possible to move the pivot point?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  29. ArenMook

ArenMook

You can't move the point you're trying to move. You only have half a slice here, so you can only do a radial 180 sprite. If you need a 360 one, then make a full circle.

P.S. Please use the NGUI support forums for support. http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

30. aiibee

aiibee

Is it possible to create a quiz type with this plug in. for ex: have a question and than select and answer ?? is it also possible to create a switch between the question and answers when clicking in a button it shows the questions than when selecting a different button it shows the answers, and display time.

is it also possible to trigger 3d objects or animation once questions are answered. for ex: display time, trigger gauge animation and camera animation, texture change and so on???

Thank You :)

31. aiibee

aiibee

Is it possible to create a quiz type with this plug in. for ex: have a question and than select and answer ?? is it also possible to create a switch between the question and answers when clicking in a button it shows the questions than when selecting a different button it shows the answers, and display time.

is it also possible to trigger 3d objects or animation once questions are answered. for ex: display time, trigger gauge animation and camera animation, texture change and so on???

Thank You :)

32. ArenMook

ArenMook

You can use NGUI to visualize that, yes -- but the logic for what's the right answer is up to you to code.

33. rkstormer

rkstormer

I've released a game for Android that uses NGUI (Pirates! Showdown on Google Play).

I've received a report from a user that the NGUI UI that has a Fixed 2d camera displays fine, but the NGUI parts that I've placed in the 3d world (rendered using the main camera) do not display at all on his Nexus 10 tablet. Other than that problem the game seems to run fine. I don't have a Nexus 10 or any Android device that runs Android 4.2. I don't know if this is an NGUI issue or not, but do you have any idea if there might be a reason that NGUI would behave differently on this particular device? Has anyone on the forums tried NGUI on an Android 4.2 device yet? Thank you for your time.

34. ArenMook

ArenMook

You only have one small screenshot so it's hard to tell, but I suggest you move those onto 2D UI as well. There is no reason to use 3D UI in that game.

I use NGUI on a 4.2 device -- Asus Transformer Infinity.

35. rkstormer

rkstormer

Sorry, I should have included more detailed info and screenshots.

This is the main menu and the camera flies up close to the different islands to allow the user to select a level to play:
    Screenshot high
    Screenshot island close

The link I posted before does have 5 screenshots that you can view: Pirates! Showdown

I want the camera to be able to fly around and up close to an island when it is clicked so I don't think I could just use the regular 2D UI setup. It seems to work fine on the 5 Android devices that I've tested (I like how NGUI allows me to do this type of UI in a 3d scene). Any ideas what might be going wrong on the Nexus 10?

36. ArenMook

ArenMook

Nope, can't say I do. That's the downside of Android development though -- fragmented market, wide assortment of different hardware without a guarantee that it will work.

37. lynchemall

lynchemall

Hi !

Just a quick request. In UISpriteAnimation would it be possible to add a switch to the component to decide whether it calls mSprite.MakePixelPerfect() or not. I want my sprite animation to respect the scale set on the sprite. I'm on version 2.1.6 incase that's been added since.

Thanks,
    /Mark

38. ArenMook

ArenMook

Scale the sprite's parent, not the sprite itself. Let the animated scale itself so that it's proper.

39. gamefools

gamefools

Hi,

I'm setting UIButton.isEnabled to true, and it seems to be tweening to the disabled color at a preset speed rather than reading it from my duration setting. Is there something I can do to change this?

40. drewradley

drewradley

I am wondering how to make a popup menu start with no value? I am using it to open and close menus and by default, it starts with a menu screen open.

And another thing...
    For some reason, it doesn't send the same message twice which means I can't use it to open the same menu (which is closed from inside the menu) until I open a different menu.

edit: Well, I "solved" both issues by putting an "Exit" choice in there that does nothing. Then set "mSelectedItem" to "Exit" after the message is sent. Still would like a better way that doesn't require this workaround.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  41. ArenMook

ArenMook

Change your popup list to a menu instead (set the popup list to not update its text on select), and you will have the behaviour you want.

42. drewradley

drewradley

I have a popup menu and don't see an option to set the list to not update on select. However, the menu is using the popup list script. Should it be using a different script?

43. ArenMook

ArenMook

Set "text label" property to be nothing, and the popup list won't update its text on selection., thus acting like a menu drop-down.

44. DevionGames

DevionGames

45. ProtoJazz

ProtoJazz

I got the email that said it was on sale, doesnt seem to be. Hopefully this isnt a mistake on the emails part, as Ive been waiting since september for it to go on sale.

46. ArenMook

ArenMook

I think someone forgot to flip a switch on the Asset Store side :)

47. Peeffy

Peeffy

Hey,I think I'll buy this because of the "Asset Store Madness",but I have a question.Does this work on Unity 4?If not,I'll have to pay again when you release a version to Unity 4,or it'll be free?Thanks.

48. ArenMook

ArenMook

It works in Unity 3.5.4 and higher, including Unity 4.

49. dkozar

dkozar

:)

And when he finally switched it on, typed in the wrong discount.. at least in my case. :D

50. MikeBastien

MikeBastien

Hi,

Is there a reason why adding or updating a texture to an Atlas, resets the 'Max Size' of the source texture?

For example:

1. The source image is 512x512.
    2. This image is set to a 'Max Size' of 256x256 in the Inspector.
    3. However, when this texture is now added to an Atlas Map, the source file is reverted by NGUI back to 512x512.
    4. The resultant image added to the Atlas is also 512x512, while I expected it to be 256...
    Any help / links on the subject is appreciated.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.