Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NGUI (Next-Gen UI) -- demo final feedback request

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ArenMook, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArenMook

ArenMook

o_O

That's interesting... I just tried it on an old OSX 10.5 latop with an Intel card and they run fine.

2. terenctb

terenctb

I was looking a UI framework for a game I am working on, and so NGUI seems to have a good architecture but I am stalled on getting it because there seems to be some issues with some of the examples. I am on a Mac Book Pro 3.06Ghz running Lion with the latest(Not beta) Unity plugin-in.

I have attached a video to show what I mean. I am running Chrome and Firefox(both have issues).
    http://youtu.be/M2VjfL49no4

3. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

hmm, I don't get these errors shown in the videos, but were these last examples built with the beta?

i am also using the non beta webplugin

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. ArenMook

ArenMook

All examples have been built in Unity 3.4.2. Examples 1, 2, and 4 all don't do anything fancy. Geometry is generated once, and Unity simply draws it. There is no post-processing, no run-time modifications done at all. The shaders used are dumb-as-bricks -- they aren't even shaders per say, just fixed pipeline instructions for optimal performance, and the same one is used in all the examples you clicked on.

First example you clicked on is using a single 3D camera and it looked messed up. Second example had dual orthographic cameras and looked fine. Fourth had a single orthographic camera and looked messed up -- there is no consistency, it's like something is wrong with your browser, Unity, or possibly your videocard. Edit: Nm you said you tried firefox. Hmm. Anyone else had anything like this?

You can also try this -- http://www.tasharen.com/sg/ -- this project was built a while ago.

5. ArenMook

ArenMook

6. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

7. ArenMook

ArenMook

@redmacmanz: Your issue is likely with the videocard driver not supporting the refractive shader, which is why you aren't seeing the UI in examples 5 and 6 (although curiously enough that shader does have a built-in fallback that should have been enabled -- I guess that didn't function as intended). That's the only difference between examples 5 6 and the rest of them -- just the shader.

8. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

unfortunately I have even stranger news for you!

I viewed example 5 the day you posted it and it worked fine. oh noes!

9. ArenMook

ArenMook

But now it doesn't?

10. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

yes, this makes me think it's got to be on my end somewhere.

11. DevionGames

DevionGames

I had the same problem, but after simply refreshing the browser, all looks great.

12. ArenMook

ArenMook

If you press CTRL+Minus a few times in the 5th example, it will drop the quality level used by the shader, eventually downgrading to no shaders used. CTRL+Plus has the opposite effect.

Edit: Also updated with one of the changes reverted, maybe that will help.

13. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

yes, control - worked, very strange.

14. terenctb

terenctb

The UI on the space example has issues but the game is fine. Not sure what is going on. All my own build are fine.

15. ArenMook

ArenMook

Well, if someone is having some obscure rare issues happening on their computer I am certainly willing to sit down and track down the cause by workin with them (even if its likely a hardware / driver issue Unity is running into), but I need more to go on than that. :|

@terenctb: If the UI looks broken but the game looks fine then this implies a video driver issue. There is something happening that your driver doesn't like -- perhaps the fact that the UI shader doesn't write to depth.

16. Legacy

Legacy

Hey aren, we have been having issues trying to package up a project to import into another project. Basically ModernMosis built a UI for our flash game and when he exports it to a package and attempts to reimport it(including all the atlas's) the ui ends up bugged. He states that the positions on the atlas get messed up and no matter what ends up having to rebuild the interfaces.

17. ArenMook

ArenMook

Without knowing how he creates the package there isn't much I can help you with. All I can suggest is make sure he exports everything. Right click, select dependencies, then export. With NGUI it's easy for me as I simply select the NGUI folder then export it as everything is a child of that folder. I am guessing in your case that's not the case.

18. Legacy

Legacy

You are correct, usually i use a folder caled UIAssets i will relay the message and see if it fixes the issue, thanks aren :). Yea he just uses unitys package exporter.

19. Legacy

Legacy

Hey aren I asked him and he said he did select include dependencies when exporting to a unity package. This is his reply about what's happening " The positioning for where the images are on materials is messed up but when i look at the font. the font works and is using the same atlas and material"

20. Legacy

Legacy

He also states that he recreates the prefab and yet the image positions are still messed up in the atlas. Its like its not saving the information for our atlas o_O.

21. ArenMook

ArenMook

"the positioning for where the images are on materials" <-- I'm not quite sure what he meant by this.

What version is he using? Where is he modifying the atlas? In the scene view or the hierarchy? If the former, make sure he hits Apply to migrate changes into the prefab. If it's the latter, have him try bringing it into the scene, modifying it there, then hitting Apply and see if that works.

22. Legacy

Legacy

That's what he did, he means the text file that assigns the image location doesn't even work to fox it. He has to export a new atlas with texture packer. He is using the latest.

23. ArenMook

ArenMook

Text file that assigns the image location... do you mean the atlas definition file? Why wouldn't it work if it worked in the project he created the package in? That doesn't make sense. o_O

24. Legacy

Legacy

Thats what im trying to figure out lol, it has actually done that to me a few times with font atlas's until i finally gave up and just put the font into its own atlas. I had the settings correct for the size of the image and the location in the atlas but it still ended up in the wrong spots and blurry. It might just be something with unity 3.5 beta because in 3.4 i never had an issue with the atlas lol.

25. ArenMook

ArenMook

You find the weirdest unreproduceable issues... did you ever figure out what those massively blurry textures were caused by?

26. Legacy

Legacy

Well from my experience so far, if the atlas is too large(I.E all images needed for a game + font) the images end up getting very blurry so that is why i had to split up the atlas's even though i only had probably 10 images + the font and only 2 of the images were around 300w X 100h and the rest were tiny additions like healthbar or lives indicator etc. Is there a max size allowed for an atlas?

Try this, create a random atlas and put it inside of a seperate folder called UIAssets and make a quick window then export it as a package and try to import it into a blank project. That is what he did created the interfaces and things we needed and exported(including the scene) and it ended up messing up the atlas when he reimported it.

27. ArenMook

ArenMook

Oh...

I see what's wrong.

In the new project, select your atlas texture. Increase its size. I'm guessing it's something like 2048x2048, but Unity imports it as 1024x1024 by default. This would cause it to be offset, and importing to not work correctly. The limit is pretty high on today's videocards. Mobile devices like it 2048x2048 or smaller, with 3g needing it to be even smaller than that.

28. Legacy

Legacy

Awesome thanks aren idk how i didnt notice that lol i passed the message on hopefully it works ;)

29. ArenMook

ArenMook

When the problem simply doesn't make sense it's always something obvious. :)

30. ranilian

ranilian

Hey Aren,

I was wondering what would be the best way to handle touch/click events on UIWidgets that are placed on top of each other. I know that we can control this with the z-order by moving a widget forward to receive the events and backward to not receive them.

However, if the UIWidget has a UIAnchor on it, the Z-order can't be changed and is always defaulted to 0. So I was wondering shouldn't the depth field be used instead to handle such a case? What do you think?

31. ArenMook

ArenMook

You could simply grow one widget's collider along the Z, then you don't need to move anything. Events are received by colliders, which don't know or don't care anything about depth. Since you can adjust the collider's scale or position independently of the transform though, this hasn't posed an issue in the past.

32. terenctb

terenctb

As you know the Mac has the drivers all bundled with the OS, so it's a bit strange that more people aren't having the same issue. If it's a depth issue, wouldn't other games have problems (Admittedly the only game I play on this machine is Wow once in a while). I would be happy be be a guinea pig to help you solve this problem though. The UI I am using right now has strange text rasterization issue. You can PM me if you want. The game I am working on is (http://bit.ly/ebakQw)

33. ArenMook

ArenMook

That's the thing, I have a Mac and I tested the UI on it, everything worked perfectly both directly in the Web Player and in Flash... Weird stuff. I'll create a couple of different builds for you to try in the morning. Since you mentioned that the Space Game's UI also looked messed up for you I have a solid starting point. That kit has been out for months and no one has ever mentioned an issue with the UI. Thanks for offering to work with me to track down the cause. :)

34. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

do you also have a nvidia 330m?

35. ctsteve123

ctsteve123

I have a Macbook pro

NVIDIA (0x10de) GeForce 8600M GT
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

and the examples 5,6 GUI and the spaceship GUI are not working.

With example 5 if I do as suggested above and use "ctrl -" twice it works. Example 6 does not work doing this.

Hope this helps. I would also be willing to test.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  36. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

Sorry to clog up this thread, let me know if you want to take it to email,

definitely some kind of driver issue as you said, as these examples display fine in windows using bootcamp... who to report this bug to, unity?

is it possible you built these with 3.4.2 f2, I think f3 included a fix for mac os x lion and nvidia gpus not displaying things correctly.

37. ModernMosis

ModernMosis

Hey, got another problem. So when i add a label on top of a couple layers at a depth of 5 while everything else >= 4. The Label will not show in the Game View. While in the scene view it "usually shows up". The only way i can get it to show in the game view is make the labels z axis -0.1. Any ideas.

38. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

@mosis
    this could be whats happening

39. terenctb

terenctb

It a Mac Book Pro, 17 inch 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo with a GeForce 9400M running Lion 10.7.2

40. SoulWind

SoulWind

depth can control only if all your pictures use one material...
    are you use two or more material?

41. ArenMook

ArenMook

Thanks guys, I will take a look at it. I happen to have a MacBook Pro with a 330m, it's just usually permanently in BootCamp and just as redmacmanz said it works perfectly on the Windows side. Sounds like a Mac driver issue.

@ModernMosis: Yup, just as mentioned, if you are using different materials you need to alter the Z value. I suggest merging your font texture with your atlas texture, then everything will show up properly.

42. ArenMook

ArenMook

...or not. Everything looks fine. Maybe it's a problem with the updated Lion 10.7 drivers, because I am not getting this issue on 10.6.

43. ArenMook

ArenMook

3.4.2 f2 is the latest according to Unity updater, there is no f3.

If the space kit GUI is not working, which is dead-simple, but hitting Ctrl+Minus twice on Example 5 makes the UI show up there (which is more advanced as it has normal mapping/lighting), then this implies that the problem lies in some quality setting differences between Fantastic/Beautiful and Good qualities. Just looking at the settings here, the differences are: Soft Particles, and Anisotropic Textures.

Here are a couple builds to try:

http://www.tasharen.com/ngui/test1/
    http://www.tasharen.com/ngui/test2/
    http://www.tasharen.com/ngui/test3/
    http://www.tasharen.com/ngui/test4/
    http://www.tasharen.com/ngui/test5/
    http://www.tasharen.com/ngui/test6/
    http://www.tasharen.com/ngui/test7/
    http://www.tasharen.com/ngui/test8/

44. SoulWind

SoulWind

I'm using 3.4.2 f3...

45. ArenMook

ArenMook

Hm, you're right. I just downloaded the latest from the website and it's f3. "Check for Updates" feature was lying to me.

46. terenctb

terenctb

Test 1 works...the first time..but some how it doesn't work anymore (no UI)

Test 2, I don't see any UI at all...

It seems after i run Test 2 , test 1 is broken.. i will play around with it more later.

47. ArenMook

ArenMook

Test 1 was built with 3.4.2f2, Test 2 was built with 3.4.2f3. Both have anisotropic textures turned off.

48. terenctb

terenctb

When I do control-minus twice, the UI pops into place..If I do plus..it dissapears.. This is for both. Possibly 1 was set to high and the other to medium?

49. mydingefnysen

mydingefnysen

Hey Aren! Thanks for the frequent updates!

I have a question concerning the new draggable window example. When I run the profiler on it I get frequent huge GC.Collect-spikes (around 350 ms, totaling 99.7% that frame). Does this happen for you as well?

Edit: That is when I drag it around, no change if I turn the two check boxes off.

50. ArenMook

ArenMook

@terenctb: I think at this point we can safely say that the issue lies with Unity not playing well with OSX Lion.

@mydingefnysen: That would be because the UI gets rebuilt each frame while you are dragging it, so buffers get created. NGUI is optimized so it doesn't touch the meshes while nothing is changing. The spikes aren't noticeable here at all, cetainly not 350 ms. Restart Unity and they should go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.