Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NG Tools - Edit your build from Unity Editor!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mikilo, Jan 6, 2016.

1. AGregori

AGregori

I first thought these errors are due to my screwed-up HUGE game project taking up 50+ Gb. But the NG errors persist in this fresh, empty project too.

Attached Files:

Mikilo likes this.
  2. Mikilo

Mikilo

Can you give me the Unity version, the OS and a screenshot of your layout.
    I assume you are using the bindings you just sent me.

Also, can you restore the layout with a default one, like "2 by 3" and rightafter press F12 or F1 (NG Console or Scene).

AGregori likes this.
  3. AGregori

AGregori

Versions: Unity 5.6.0p2 64bit, Windows 7 64bit.

Yes, factory layout settings seem to cure the bindings issue, but obviously NG Tools cannot work with factory settings.

Mikilo likes this.
  4. Mikilo

Mikilo

What do you mean it can not work with factory settings?

The layout is saved whenever you correctly leave Unity. If by any bad luck there is some error, few windows might be broken, they will be hidden but they still exist.
    It causes that when you want to open them, nothing show up. Cuz for Unity it is still alive.
    The only workaround I know is to restore a layout.

AGregori likes this.
  5. AGregori

AGregori

Sorry, what I meant is due to the several custom windows, a conventional 2by3 or similar "boring" Unity layout is not doable. :)

I think I'm dealing with specific 5.6.0 bugs here. Might as well wait till 5.6.1 or later for better functionality overall.

This is an outstanding bug since 5.4, and I seem to have it all the time now:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...itor-window-that-is-a-part-of-a-custom-layout

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Mikilo likes this.
  6. Mikilo

Mikilo

I was going to write you the same.

It is bad news, because it's not only dealing with NG Tools, but with all custom windows in general, which is... bad news.

But restoring a default layout then recreating your very custom layout is my only way to properly get rid of this issue.

1/ Reset to any default layout.
    2/ Place your custom windows.
    3/ Save your layout.
    4/ Quit Unity.

If the problem repeats, just load your layout, that should do the trick.

AGregori likes this.
  7. AGregori

AGregori

Sometimes Unity 5.6 won't even save my layout upon quitting, it's hilarious... I guess it was too early to adopt 5.6 and we should wait till it matures to 5.6.2 or beyond...

On the other hand, importing a complete project like UFPS or Game Kit Controller messes up all NG Tools windows and settings in its own right.

Anyway, one of my feature ideas would be an additional, color-coded, floatable Hub and/or Fav. In a large project (like mine), Hub and Fav fills up quickly with items and it becomes unwieldy. :)

Mikilo likes this.
  8. Mikilo

Mikilo

You wish:

- additional : Having the possibility to get many NG Hub/Fav?
    NG Fav can, since it can handle many profiles. But NG Hub does not have profile. So... Do you wish profiles and many windows for NG Hub/Fav?

- color-coded : Granted.

- floatable : You already have this feature. When you open NG Hub/Fav. It will open the tab window. If you press shift while opening, you will have the alternative opening, which is a floatable window. And it is true for every tools, pressing shift will open in the other way, float or tab window.

I'm implementing color, it will take minutes. As soon as you reply for additional, I will implement it.

AGregori likes this.
  9. AGregori

AGregori

Thanks!

Not many, perhaps just one more that is floatable on its own. My issue is that Hub and Fav get filled up quickly in a project. With or without new profiles, the point is that the extra window would be always available onscreen to further help the workflow.

The SHIFT floatable option is great, but it's still a single instance of that window, there's currently no option for a second Hub/Fav window that may be distinguished from the first one by being color-coded. Just an idea. ;)

Mikilo likes this.
  10. Mikilo

Mikilo

Done.

When opening any NG Tools' windows:
    - press Control to strictly open a new one
    - press Shift to open as an utility or tab
    - or both if you want

There is now a color picker directly embed in NG Fav. This one is quick to alter.

To alter NG Hub's background color, you need to edit it. A new option is present to change the color.

Weirdly, the background color rendering causes assertions. It looks like it is Unity's fault, as this error seems to be very common and unfixed unfortunately...

AGregori likes this.
  11. AGregori

AGregori

Wow Mikilo, tu est magnifique! :D Vive la France!
    Thank you for the mailed version.

By the way, 5.6.0 seems to interfere badly with some other assets as well (Transform Pro, Octave3D etc), and the other day I lost 2hrs of work due to a sudden crash. I'm sure NG Tools is pretty flawless under 5.5, but I need 5.6's features for my project.

Mikilo likes this.
  12. Mikilo

Mikilo

The real bad news here is that I am mainly working on 5.4 and I don't think your issues are gone in 5.5 or lower...

Save regularly. :)

AGregori likes this.
  13. AGregori

AGregori

Hi Mikilo, I've got a new error:

2017-05-16_18-35-23.png

Mikilo likes this.
  14. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hey hey!
    Hum... As far as I know this a Unity error that might happens when toying with layout.

I think you changed the layout, an error appeared and you toggle your window. Am I wrong?

15. AGregori

AGregori

And another one:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.RowUtility.GetFilterNamespace (System.Object data) [0x0000e] in E:\PROBA1\Assets\Plugins\NGTools\NGConsole\Editor\Utilities\RowUtility.cs:353
    at NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.RowUtility.DrawStackTrace (ILogContentGetter log, NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.RowsDrawer rowsDrawer, Rect r, Int32 i, NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.Row row) [0x002aa] in E:\PROBA1\Assets\Plugins\NGTools\NGConsole\Editor\Utilities\RowUtility.cs:247
    at NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.DefaultRow.DrawRow (NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.RowsDrawer rowsDrawer, Rect r, Int32 i, Nullable`1 collapse) [0x00b12] in E:\PROBA1\Assets\Plugins\NGTools\NGConsole\Editor\Rows\DefaultRow.cs:362
    at NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.RowsDrawer.DrawRows (Rect r, Nullable`1 collapse) [0x004f7] in E:\PROBA1\Assets\Plugins\NGTools\NGConsole\Editor\RowsDrawer.cs:456
    at NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.MainStream.OnGUI (Rect r) [0x00088] in E:\PROBA1\Assets\Plugins\NGTools\NGConsole\Modules\Main\Editor\MainStream.cs:63
    at NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.MainModule.OnGUI (Rect r) [0x00069] in E:\PROBA1\Assets\Plugins\NGTools\NGConsole\Modules\Main\Editor\MainModule.cs:95
    at NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.NGConsoleWindow.OnGUI () [0x00236] in E:\PROBA1\Assets\Plugins\NGTools\NGConsole\Editor\NGConsoleWindow.cs:494

Mikilo likes this.
  16. AGregori

AGregori

No, I stopped toying with the layout several days ago, precisely in order to remedy these kinds of errors.

Mikilo likes this.
  17. Mikilo

Mikilo

I'm actually not in France, I won't be able to fix this error today.

Do you have the stack trace? Or the log?
    Or do you even know the code that produces this error?
    If you know, I'll would be able to fix this error in no time.

AGregori likes this.
  18. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hey, I'm back to work!

I just wanted to ask you to Maximize the window using the normal way, if this bug occurs again.
    To verify if it is me or Unity who is messing.

19. radimoto

radimoto

Hi there, just to let you know NG Tools Pro doesn't work on Unity 2017.1.0b6 (using Experimental .NET 4.6) ... I tried to use Remote Scene and the IOS build crashes with the following...

NGTools: The type initializer for 'NGTools.InternalNGDebug' threw an exception.
    at NGTools.Network.DefaultTcpListener.StartServer () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0
    at NGTools.NGRemoteScene.NGServerScene.Start () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0

NGTools.Network.DefaultTcpListener:StartServer()
    NGTools.NGRemoteScene.NGServerScene:Start()

(Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: -1)

Mikilo likes this.
  20. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hello there!

I will do a test later tonight. Unfortunately, I have no IPhone. If you are willing to help me debug it, contact me through support@ngtools.tech.

21. Mikilo

Mikilo

Just asking, but could you try to build on Android and test it?

22. AGregori

AGregori

Mikilo, NG Tools is seriously buggy on my 5.6.1.
    NGHub items delete themselves all the time, NGFav resets itself, NGConsole crashes, Fullscreen bindings misfire almost always. Perhaps it's a conflict with another asset, but NO other asset misbehaves so badly on my setup. So I conclude that the NG code is far from optimized.

Please look into it and debug, debug, debug.

Mikilo likes this.
  23. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hi Gregorik, with all the informations you gave, it looks like one component is messing around, the configuration file.
    Unfortunately I won't be able to look into it before Tuesday, but as soon as I come back, I'll dig into it.

I keep you in touch.

AGregori likes this.
  24. Mikilo

Mikilo

I just tested on a genuinely new setup.
    My project has only NG Tools.

It all works for the moment.

Have you done something special that I might need to know?
    Can you try to work on a configuration file instead of shared settings?

NG Tools worked well most of the time on all previous Unity versions. Something changed between then and now.

I also tested on the Unity 2017 beta, few compatibility issues, but nothing hardcore.

Edit:
    Can you tell me from which version you updated? So I can also do the Unity upgrade, they might have change their serialization, protocol, asset layout or I don't know.

AGregori likes this.
  25. AGregori

AGregori

Getting this on 1.0.65:

Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: '!m_IsGettingEntries'
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:SaveAssets()
    NGToolsEditor.NGSettings:Load(Type) (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/Common/Editor/Settings/NGSettings.cs:106)
    NGToolsEditor.NGSettings:Get() (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/Common/Editor/Settings/NGSettings.cs:46)
    NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.ColorMarkersModule:OnRowAdded(StreamLog, Row, Int32) (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGConsole/Modules/ColorMarkers/Editor/ColorMarkersModule.cs:86)
    NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.MainStream:AddLog(Int32, Row) (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGConsole/Modules/Main/Editor/MainStream.cs:166)
    NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.NGConsoleWindow:ConvertNewLog(Int32, UnityLogEntry) (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGConsole/Editor/NGConsoleWindow.cs:636)
    NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.SyncLogs:Sync() (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGConsole/Editor/SyncLogs.cs:113)
    NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.NGConsoleWindow:Update() (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGConsole/Editor/NGConsoleWindow.cs:536)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Mikilo likes this.
  26. Mikilo

Mikilo

Your error:

Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: '!m_IsGettingEntries'

It is harmless. But do you have another behaviour?

27. AGregori

AGregori

Using latest NGTools (1.0.69), editor menu system is now rendered unresponsive which is pretty bad:

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.Texture2D.LoadImage'.
    NGToolsEditor.Language_english..ctor ()
    System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:513)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:519)
    System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.Invoke (BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:528)
    System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] args, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, System.Object[] activationAttributes) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Activator.cs:338)
    System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type, System.Object[] args, System.Object[] activationAttributes) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Activator.cs:268)
    System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type, System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Activator.cs:263)
    NGToolsEditor.Utility.CreateAllInstancesOf[EmbedLocale] (System.Object[] args)
    NGToolsEditor.Localization..cctor ()
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for NGToolsEditor.Localization
    System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.RunClassConstructor (RuntimeTypeHandle type) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Runtime.CompilerServices/RuntimeHelpers.cs:101)
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies.ProcessEditorInitializeOnLoad (System.Type type) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorAssemblies.cs:136)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:272)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:265)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:94)

Mikilo likes this.
  28. Mikilo

Mikilo

Bug fixed, thank you for your feedback.

I just sent you the corrected version.

AGregori likes this.
  29. AGregori

AGregori

Cool.
    Now I have this error in 1.0.73:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    NGLicenses.NGLicensesManager+‭‪‎‏‪‏‮‫‍‪‌‍‭‏‫‪‮‏‭‍‍‭‫‪‮+‪‮‎‮‭‪‎‎‪‭‍‪‌‮‫‮‍‮‭‍‍‮‫‪‮‪‫‍‮.‮‏‏‍‫‎‎‮‭‍‮‪‭‪‏‏‭‍‫‌‏‭‏‫‌‫‌‮ ()
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallDelayFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:118)

Mikilo likes this.
  30. Mikilo

Mikilo

Version fixed sent.

AGregori likes this.
  31. Mikilo

Mikilo

AGregori likes this.
  32. corn

corn

Hi @Mikilo ! I love NG Tools, it made my workflow efficiency skyrocket, but I've found several issues I have to report.
    I'm currently working with Unity 2017.2.0f3, NG Tools Pro 1.0.85 and Cinemachine 2.1.09.

For starter, I've found two bugs :

In NGGameConsole, line 544 :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (this.logsBuffer.Length > 1 << 16)
    2.                 this.logsBuffer.Remove(0, this.logsBuffer.Length - 1 << 16);
    This raises an ArgumentOutOfRangeException, so I assume this is a typo and the correct code is :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (this.logsBuffer.Length > 1 << 16)
    2.                 this.logsBuffer.Remove(0, this.logsBuffer.Length - (1 << 16));
    In NGDraggableObjectDrawer, line 356 :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorGUI.ObjectField(position, property, this.fieldInfo.FieldType, label);
    Within an array type, this might lead to a "Type mismatch" error being displayed within the field. The object is correctly set, but this makes editing a hassle since I have to click on the field to ping the object in order to see which one it is.
    Example : Cinemachine Clear Shot, all Virtual Camera Children are labelled as "Type mismatch".
    Fix : use the realType Type object defined on line 280 to draw the object field.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorGUI.ObjectField(position, property, realType, label);
    Now I've also encountered a more annoying problem : it seems NGDraggableObjectDrawer completely messes up Cinemachine's editors. I was able to reproduce several bugs within a clean project with nothing but the latest NG Tools Pro and Cinemachine packages.

Some examples of bugs I've found :
    • Cinemachine Target Group : it is impossible to assign targets to the Target ReorderableList's children either by drag & drop or object picker
    • Cinemachine Clear Shot : it is impossible to assign the Follow and LookAt fields either by drag & drop or object picker
    • Cinemachine Clear Shot : it is impossible to assign the Custom Blends field via drag & drop but it works with the object picker
    In several cases, Cinemachine editors rely on EditorGUI.Begin/EndChangeCheck to decide whether to apply modified properties on the serialized objects. For whatever reason, the check fails to detect a modification.
    For exemple, in CinemachineTargetGroupEditor, if I comment EndChangeCheck on line 33 and apply the modified properties all the time, the bug disappears and I can assign the Target children with no issues... So it seems pretty obvious to me that the NGDraggableObjectDrawer does perform the assignment, but fails to notify the editor that a property was modified, thus the EndChangeCheck fails and the property is instantly reset to its previous value.

What I've understood from my tests is that NGDraggableObjectDrawer is the only script responsible for these issues, since they all disappear when I disable this single script.

I hope you can fix this issue soon. Keep up the great work !

Mikilo likes this.
  33. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hi @corn!

Thank you for this feedback, I really appreciate the content and the form!

Now, about NG Game Console, in my version I have this line 543:
    this.logsBuffer.Remove(0, this.logsBuffer.Length - NGGameConsole.MaxChars);

Where NGGameConsole.MaxChars is "(UInt16.MaxValue >> 2) - 1"
    And the final result should be 16,383.

I have just one question, where did you get the source code?

About NG Draggable Object, you just gave me very good intel, I will work on it and see what is going wrong.
    I'll keep you in touch!

34. corn

corn

@Mikilo, I got this from the Asset Store NG Tools Pro package, Version 1.0.85. The package description indicates "Sources are sent on request" but I never noticed this message, since they were always included in all the versions of the package I've downloaded these past months...

35. Mikilo

Mikilo

Oh god this is completely wrong... How is that even possible

36. corn

corn

It seems they are only included in the Pro Asset, not in NG Tools Free.

37. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hey @corn!

Your dragging bug is fixed! And I would like to thank you for this nasty bug, because I have seen it already, but I thought it was a Unity bug...

Unfortunately, I don't have my personal computer to prepare a package for you.

DragObjectDrawer.cs at line 259, just replace with these lines:

Type fieldType = this.fieldInfo.FieldType.IsUnityArray() == false ? this.fieldInfo.FieldType : fieldType = Utility.GetArraySubType(this.fieldInfo.FieldType);
    EditorGUI.ObjectField(position, property, fieldType, label);

I need more clarification, whenever you downloaded NG Tools Pro with Unity 2017, you received a package containing all my source code? Gosh... XD

Edit: Could you tell me if your bugs with Cinemachine are still present. I never used it, I can't tell.

38. AGregori

AGregori

Hi there, NG Hub is buggy as of the newest version: when an asset is dragged from the Project folder, it's not selectable.
    Menu items work as intended.

Mikilo likes this.
  39. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hey Gregorik!

Can you share a screenshot?
    I just tested with Unity 5.4 and Unity 2017.2.0f1, both had the asset in NG Hub correctly and I could ping them.

Edit: Also tested on 2017.2.0p2, it works.

Edit2: I think I reproduced your bug, it needs a recompilation and then the assets go wrong.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  40. Mikilo

Mikilo

@Gregorik Bug found and fixed. Thank you for your feedback.
    I will send you the version.

Edit: Partially fixed. I need to investigate more.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    AGregori likes this.
  41. Mikilo

Mikilo

Bug fixed and package sent. Thank you @Gregorik !

42. AGregori

AGregori

Awesome, many thanks!

43. AGregori

AGregori

Previously unseen error that I get when I try to build player (and the error makes the build fail):

ArgumentException: The Assembly UnityEditor is referenced by UON ('Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGCore/UON.dll'). But the dll is not allowed to be included or could not be found.
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.AddReferencedAssembliesRecurse (System.String assemblyPath, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] alreadyFoundAssemblies, System.String[] allAssemblyPaths, System.String[] foldersToSearch, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] cache, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssemblyHelper.cs:152)
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.FindAssembliesReferencedBy (System.String[] paths, System.String[] foldersToSearch, UnityEditor.BuildTarget target) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssemblyHelper.cs:192)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Mikilo likes this.
  44. Mikilo

Mikilo

Oh, strange I was sure I fixed this one already.

Unfortunately, I can't prepare a package right now, I will send you a fixed version tonight.

Edit: It has been found and fixed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    AGregori likes this.
  45. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hey @Gregorik !

Can you try to replace UON.dll at Assets/Plugins/NG Tools/Core with the one attached?

Attached Files:

• UON.rar
      File size:
      10.9 KB
      Views:
  46. r137

r137

Is ScenesComponent and NavSelectionComponent pro only for NG Hub ?

47. Mikilo

Mikilo

Yes, they are addons made for NG Hub.

But you can use the free version in NG Tools Free and only activate NG Hub.

48. r137

r137

I installed NG Hub Free but couldn't find that addons:

I am looking for this:

ScenesComponent and NavSelectionComponent is missing. Do I need pro version for these ?

I am sorry. I understand now. I need to install NGScenes and NGNavSelection for these. My mistake. Very helpful addon. Thanks :D .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Mikilo likes this.
  49. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hehehe I'm glad you found it yourself! :D

If you have any question, don't hesitate, send me a message through the contact email or via this forum.

r137 likes this.
  50. Mikilo

Mikilo

AGregori likes this.