Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NG Tools - Edit your build from Unity Editor!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mikilo, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hello everyone!

I am glad to present you my very first plugin for Unity!

NG Tools Free

Asset Store | Documentation | Support | Contact

NG Tools is a package containing 20 tools to greatly improve your experience through Unity.

Feel free to contact me, I am open to any suggestion to improve or add new tools that might interest you (and potentially everyone else).

Also, if you buy it, I can personnally train you via Skype and share screen. I can guarantee it, if you know how to use all of these tools, your workflow will never be the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. tomtom789

tomtom789

This tool looks awesome !
    Even if it appears to be a little bit complicated to use, there is so much features that I think I'm going to try it :)
    Really nice job done here !

3. Shbli

Shbli

I have just run through this plugin, and within an hour I'm able to see my remote hierarchy from both Android/iOS and play with the GameObjects on the fly! It is really well done.

Developer as well is very responsive and quick to reply to my questions.

4. Mikilo

Mikilo

New update of the plugin with a presentation video! Enjoy!

5. Mikilo

Mikilo

NG Tools Free has been released!

You can now use it freely, and if you are convinced that this package is worth the penny, the Pro version will unlocked all the limits!

NG Tools Free on Asset Store!

6. Inspeinre

Inspeinre

Hi! work on Mac?

7. Mikilo

Mikilo

Yes sir.

Inspeinre likes this.
  8. Mikilo

Mikilo

Version 0.8.34 released on Asset Store.

More stable and more features!

Try the free version to set up your mind.

9. AGregori

AGregori

Hi, is the free version a limited teaser only, or is it useful in itself?

10. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hi, I put some limitations based on how I use it.
    But from my point of view, it's completely usable.
    Limitations are like, max 4 profiles, 15 secs, 3 this, 4 these, 4 those. And most of the time, these are enough.

The only real limitation is the remote editing, which is read only in the free version, this feature is exclusive to the pro.

AGregori likes this.
  11. AGregori

AGregori

So I played around with the Free one for an hour: it's a powerful tool and would buy in an instant -- if it was more realistically priced.
    56 euros is a bit steep when there are several free or cheap tools that do some of these tasks: favorites, hierarchy, console, inspector etc.
    Competition is getting stiff here: I mean take a look at SmartCore 1.11 for instance, which is now free AND open source.
    If you're willing to lower your price, I believe that the asset's popularity will indeed skyrocket. ;) All the best.

Mikilo likes this.
  12. Mikilo

Mikilo

Well, it is open to debate! And I am open-minded. :)

I guess if all the tools you listed was cheap, buying all of them would be still less or maybe around the price of NG Tools. (50$)

And you are right, there is a lot of existing tools, but without willing to brag, my tools are often or even better than existing tools. (The free version is enough for most people... I guess)

Here are my bullets:
    - This asset is super light weight. (Around 2MB)
    - This bunch of tools is a whole, all gathered in coherent structure.
    - It is completely modular and the sources are included. If you are a programmer, you can adapt almost everything.
    - There is documentation.
    - If you look at the changelog, several features have been added after users asked for them. (I don't think anybody does that)

- And now I have to drop the hammer! :)
    The price is based on a sum of all the tools, but you missed my biggest kill-feature, the remote editing.
    We are a few in the whole Asset Store's database providing such a feature (We are 3 4). And most of my concurrents are outdated or can not do what I can do.

One of my user told me one day, this feature itself is worth 100$.

My only solution would be to split all the tools.
    But this point is not open to debate, because it would force me to manage around 20 packages in the Asset Store.
    As you might have read, I test them in all version of Unity. From 4.5 to 5.6 and 2017.1.
    This is huge work.

Edit:
    - And I forgot one last bullet.
    I answer to support question/email blazingly fast. You can check my reviews or the post above yours, I answered him in a minute. :)

AGregori likes this.
  13. AGregori

AGregori

And most of my concurrents are outdated or can not do what I can do.

Well, you're basically right about this one. While SmartCore comes close, it wasn't updated for 5 months.
    Other 'Favorites' assets are quite buggy under Unity 5.6.
    If NGTools works seamlessly with the 5.6 line, I guess I'll have to bite and purchase it for $50. It is indeed the best batch of tools around. ;)

Mikilo likes this.
  14. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hum... I never seen SmartCore before, BUT this asset is completely different than mine. I don't do what it does while it does not do what I do. Can you dig it? :D

What you are saying about "Favorites" is interesting, if you find any bugs under 5.6, contact me, I will fix them right on the spot. (Without regarding if you are Free or Pro user)

There is an interesting tool called NG Hub. You should give it a try. (Try the Dock mode :) )

Hehehe, you made my day sir. :D

AGregori likes this.
  15. AGregori

AGregori

BUT this asset is completely different than mine

I singled out SmartCore as an example of a major batch of (heterogeneous) editor extensions that is also insanely useful in everyday development. But you're right, it mostly does different things. :D
    There are some ultra cheap individual assets (Favorites Lists and Enhanced Hierarchy for instance), but some of them are flat broke in 5.6.
    I'm slowly becoming a convert of NGTools.

Mikilo likes this.
  16. Mikilo

Mikilo

Favorites List is 3$, Enhanced Hierarchy is 10$.
    13$ out of 50.
    And these are only 2 tools out of 20.

I'm telling you, you will run out of money before midnight. X)

Hehehe, I knew my bullets would hit you!

17. AGregori

AGregori

For the time being, I wrote a 5 star review on the free version. ;)

Mikilo likes this.
  18. Mikilo

Mikilo

And I am telling you, I need at LEAST 1 hour to present my tools through Skype. (And I am talking pretty fast and I can't even go into details)

You will discover a new thing everyday for the next 30 days at least. :)
    Also, read the doc, it helps a lot.

Edit:
    And by the way, thank you for the review, I highly appreciate! =D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    AGregori likes this.
  19. AGregori

AGregori

There is an interesting tool called NG Hub. You should give it a try.

Yes, I have to confirm that the NG Hub Dock is one of the best things I've seen in any tool. :) Will buy.

Mikilo likes this.
  20. Mikilo

Mikilo

I always hated that Unity wasted this space, I knew I could do something, fill this place with power, harmony and poetry! XD

I suggest you to add the Scene Component in NG Hub, this changed my life for the twentieth time. :)

I don't know if you watched the presentation video, it is a bit long, but the 7 minutes is worth watching.

AGregori likes this.
  21. AGregori

AGregori

I've begun to integrate NGTools Free into my daily workflow. Will buy Pro very soon. Thus I no longer need these paid assets: Advanced PlayerPrefs, Enhanced Hierarchy, Favorites Tabs, Script Inspector. I still need the Open Recent Scene asset though.
    Your Scene Component is great, but this one (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/17592)
    works by exposing recent scenes in a floating window. This is useful to many developers who need to swtich to and fro several scenes all the time. I for one keep its window open on my secondary display all the time. Could you take a look at it and see if you'd like to include its functionality perhaps? Merci bien ;)

Mikilo likes this.
  22. Mikilo

Mikilo

Wow, that's an interesting list. :)

You need a floating window? If you click on File -> NG Scenes, you will have a floating window, is it what you are requesting?

AGregori likes this.
  23. AGregori

AGregori

File -> NG Scenes, you will have a floating window

Wow, awesome functionality, I'm a full convert.
    And you replied in 3 minutes too. ;) Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Project Search and Replace and SRDebugger are no longer needed either. The NG Hub also replaces one of the main features of SmartCore with a better one.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Mikilo likes this.
  24. Mikilo

Mikilo

About them, I knew it already. A previous user told me that already. :p

Which is? o_O
    I wondering which one...

25. AGregori

AGregori

Which is?

The color-coded dockable windows used for shortcuts with custom icons. NG Hub works much better though.

Mikilo likes this.
  26. Mikilo

Mikilo

NG Tools Pro is being discounted right now through Biggest Sale Ever!

Get it at $35! (-30%)

Don't process the info, buy it on the spot!

27. Mikilo

Mikilo

NG Tools 0.8.36 just released!

More stability, more efficiency, more everything!

AGregori likes this.
  28. AGregori

AGregori

Again, a very good set of tools, and more moderately priced till 30 April. ;)

Are you open to requests? I'm trying to get rid of the now abandoned SmartCore because it's in conflict with newer assets like TransformPro. However, some of SmartCore's functionality is still unique to it. For instance, it uses fixed shortcut keys to maximize staple windows (F12 for Console etc.) which is very useful.
    Would you consider to include a shortcut to maximize NG Console? Thanks for reading.

Mikilo likes this.
  29. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hum... Doable.

AGregori likes this.
  30. Mikilo

Mikilo

What you want is a shortcut to maximize a given window?
    Do you want it to be customable? Like you choose which window for which key?

Windows or OSX?

31. AGregori

AGregori

Thank you. It would simply be a shortcut key to maximize NG Console, for now.
    It should enhance the functionality for all NG users -- so the choice of implementation is up to you. :) I personally use Windows and would be happy with either a customizable or fixed shortcut.

Mikilo likes this.
  32. Mikilo

Mikilo

AGregori likes this.
  33. AGregori

AGregori

Awesome work with 0.8.37.2, Mikilo. Fullscreen bindings is something I'll use all the time. ;)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Mikilo likes this.
  34. AGregori

AGregori

Hi Mikilo, I have this new placement issue with NG Hub. Also, the docked hub doesn't persist when quitting and reloading Unity, though that may be normal behaviour. Otherwise, a great update.

Unity_2017-04-28_09-35-44.png

Using obsolete custom response file 'gmcs.rsp'. Please use 'mcs.rsp' instead.
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:Refresh()
    NGToolsEditor.NGFullscreenBindings.NGFullscreenBindingsWindow:Generate() (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGFullscreenBindings/Editor/NGFullscreenBindingsWindow.cs:256)
    NGToolsEditor.NGFullscreenBindings.NGFullscreenBindingsWindow:OnGUISettings() (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGFullscreenBindings/Editor/NGFullscreenBindingsWindow.cs:184)
    NGToolsEditor.NGSettingsWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/Common/Editor/Settings/NGSettingsWindow.cs:235)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Mikilo likes this.
  35. Mikilo

Mikilo

That is strange, how new is it? Since which version?
    What is your Unity and OS version?

The window should be persistent... This is a bug. Did this bug just appear? Or was it like that since the beginning?

36. AGregori

AGregori

The placement bug and persistence bug are both new, came with 0.9.37.4.
    Unity: 5.6.0.p2 64bit

Mikilo likes this.
  37. AGregori

AGregori

Navigate Selection also fails to work now in the Hub. The NG Nav Selection window works as normal.

Mikilo likes this.
  38. Mikilo

Mikilo

I fixed few bugs in NG Hub and added a workaround for the strange Y offset.

We need to investigate more...

AGregori likes this.
  39. AGregori

AGregori

Unity_2017-05-03_21-58-28.png

Hi Mikilo, I have this returning issue with NG Tools now: UFPS is about the 5th major asset in a row which seems to be in conflict with some settings. The error popped up when trying to upgrade UFPS.
    What could cause this?

Mikilo likes this.
  40. Mikilo

Mikilo

Oh! Very interesting!

Thank you for the feedback. Here is the other solution.

In NG Preferences, you have 2 places to store your settings.

The Shared Settings is the one shared between all projects having the same company name and project name.

You can generate a configuration file and save it right into Assets.
    This way, the copy should be ok.

But what did you do to have this issue?

AGregori likes this.
  41. AGregori

AGregori

Thank you, I'll try this once UFPS is done updating... it certainly takes its time.

But what did you do to have this issue?

No idea, I did nothing out of ordinary. :)

Mikilo likes this.
  42. AGregori

AGregori

This is the error dump I get:

File Library/Unused/0b06c414475241442a2c9ddef820116d couldn't be written. Because moving E:/Lovehate/Lovehate/Temp/UnityTempFile-3f2d070a4a2058944914943166608877 to C:/Users/Gregorik/AppData/LocalLow/DefaultCompany/UFPS\NGTools\NGSettings.asset failed.
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:SaveToSerializedFileAndForget(Object[], String, Boolean)
    NGToolsEditor.PreferencesDelayWriteToDisk() (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/Common/Editor/Preferences/Preferences.cs:326)
    NGToolsEditor.Preferences:SaveSharedNGSettings(NGSettings, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/Common/Editor/Preferences/Preferences.cs:315)
    NGToolsEditor.Preferences:InvalidateSettings(NGSettings, Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/Common/Editor/Preferences/Preferences.cs:345)
    NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.NGConsoleWindow:SaveModules(Boolean) (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGConsole/Editor/NGConsoleWindow.cs:435)
    NGToolsEditor.NGConsole.NGConsoleWindow:OnDisable() (at Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGConsole/Editor/NGConsoleWindow.cs:407)

Mikilo likes this.
  43. Mikilo

Mikilo

Are you building something?

44. AGregori

AGregori

No, I simply installed another asset when the error stream came.
    So if you're positive that it's not an NG Tools bug, then I guess my project is compromised for some reason and need to start a new one.

Mikilo likes this.
  45. Mikilo

Mikilo

I am saying that I don't have a clue why this kind of error popped out on your side.

It never occurred to me unfortunately... And we are both on Win 10 and 5.6.0.

The only big difference is the content of your project. Which might be a clue. X)

AGregori likes this.
  46. AGregori

AGregori

Started a fresh project (5.6.0.p2), imported latest NG Tools, and the Hub was broken (displaced and unresponsive) until I quit and restarted Unity. All is fine ever since.

Mikilo likes this.
  47. AGregori

AGregori

Things start to go haywire when I install the tool Octave3D in a fresh project that already has NG Tools in it. Several errors and when I restart Unity, all NG windows are gone:

Removed empty DockArea while reading window layout: window #11, instanceID=86876
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadWindowLayout(String, Boolean)

Mikilo likes this.
  48. Mikilo

Mikilo

Hum... From my point of view, Unity Editor does not know NG windows at this point.
    That is really strange, because NG Tools is already present and Unity Editor should already know them.

At this moment, I am not sure if the issue is on my side.
    The only workaround for the moment might be to save your layout and restore it if things get broken.

49. AGregori

AGregori

There's also the issue of Fullscreen Bindings misfiring almost always: when I first press a shortcut key (like F12) it first does something random, like opening a random window, or does nothing at all. If I press a 2nd or 3rd time, the actual fullscreen window appears.

50. Mikilo

Mikilo

Send me your file Assets/Plugins/NGTools/NGFullscreenBindings/Editor/ExternalNGFullscreenBindings.cs

The first time you press it, if the window does not exist, it will create it.
    Random window is really strange...

You never mentionned those issues the first time. Did it start since 5.6.0p2?