Search Unity

Nexus 7 or Nexus 10

Discussion in 'Android' started by FractalCore, Apr 2, 2013.

1. FractalCore

FractalCore

I'm planning on buying a Nexus 7 or Nexus 10, specifically for Unity game development on my PC. Which would be better?

I imagine the 7 is a wiser choice for it's lower resolution making it similar (or exactly the same) resolution as other android tablets.

But I can afford the 10 and that obscenely high res is so tempting.

2. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

I would get the 7. It's a very common screen size, lower performance, and a much larger user-base than the 10. While the high res is tempting on the 10, that is currently the only tablet with such a feature and would be near-useless to develop with that resolution in mind.

3. order66

order66

Can't agree more. I have the Nexus 7 myself and totally happe with it :)

4. bpritchard

bpritchard

Has anyone had any issues they can speak of on the Nexus 10? We have an app that runs pretty well to great on a broad range of platforms EXCEPT the nexus 10, oddly enough. Trying to figure out where the issues are but the device itself is powerful enough to handle it... i mean things are running really fast on a Kindle HD 7", and even older Galaxy tab 7" (although they don't have the ppi and resolution the 10 does). I noticed its using the Mali gpu and was wondering if it just had a lot of issues w/fill rate over pushing polys... any thoughts?

5. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

what unity version you have? We had crazy bug (with fix still waiting some unity release to go into the wild) with static batching on mali (mind you - it is arm driver bug, not ours ;-)). You can quickly test it by disabling batching and comparing perf

6. annaharris

annaharris

If you want a tab with better resolution then go for Nexus 10 and as you said you can also afford it.

7. bpritchard

bpritchard

@Alexey,

We're building in 4.1.2, previously is was 4.1.1... but wow batching? really? Is it both Static and Dynamic that are causing the issues? Thanks so much for the heads up...

8. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

well, yeah - you can try for yourself if you have the device - just uncheck batching and see the diff. No worries we're on it.

9. andyz

andyz

I found the Nexus 10 can be slower than some cheaper lower resolution tablets because although a powerful device it has a hell of a lot of pixels to push around (if you run at its full resolution).

Also though it may depend on the scene I find static and dynamic batching always make performance WORSE on ALL mobile devices!!

10. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

Sure, you didnt bug report with repro project. Why fix it, right? ;-)

11. andyz

andyz

alas no, I have asked on the forums before if other people have the same issue but I don't think I got any feedback - have you guys tested a variety of scenes on mobile and always found batching to improve things?
    It may be that large scenes with many materials (i.e not the most optimal in the first place!) just don't get benefit from batching...

12. bpritchard

bpritchard

Thanks Alexey,

Its sadly the only device we don't have... it was a customer comment on a previous build. We'll just shoot them a build and have them evaluate.

Cheers!