Search Unity

Next harbour : version 4.0 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vortexilation, Feb 2, 2012.

1. vortexilation

vortexilation

The 3.5 ships has nearly reaching it's destination, while the decision is really unclear whether there is another incoming minor version update after 3.5, most likely unity will straight jump into 4.0!

Quote from John Goodale (Unity GM for asia region)
    Not particularly really conclusive but yet a 'hint' on this new fiscal year?. Save your money ladies and gentlemen, store lot's of noodle and ramen for the 4.0 party :cool:

Warning : Procrastinating is good! :).

2. taumel

taumel

This would be quite surprising and dissapointing considering all the things which don't work properly (imagine a long list here) in V3.5 up to date or which had been announced but not delivered in the V3 cycle (anyone remembering GUI or 2D?) yet. So, unless V4 will be for free, this would be a bad idea. At some point it would be just nice to get what you actually payed money for and waited a long time.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. vdek

vdek

Are they going to offer a discounted upgrade price? I'm about to splurge my money on getting iOS/Android Basic, would be nice not to have to pay that fee again.

4. ivkoni

ivkoni

you would have to pay some fee. For pro upgrades it was $500 before. For basic it would probably be between $100 - $200. But that's just my guess.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Upgrades have always been 50% of the purchase price as standard, though there have been sales and discounts from time to time.

--Eric

6. ivkoni

ivkoni

My bad. I guess I paid $500 at the time, but it is of course 50% of the purchase price as Eric said.

7. vortexilation

vortexilation

Could be unity will set the standard for indie industry with dx 11? but this quote set aside my prediction
    . If the flash export support will come at the same time 3.5 releases, then we could have another 2 'free' minor version upgrade, while it's really most unlikely as unity 3.0 was announced in Q1 2010(March), although i kind of dissapointed as recently i just bought android pro, when the news itself not really conclusive and no official announcement yet from the unity HQ, i wish that my recent upgrade would be entitled free upgrade to next major version.

Now i can understand from another mistakes that i did from buying another software in Q4, i think the best time frame for buying a software is in Q2-3.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  8. TehWut

TehWut

A little unfortunate for the Users who just bought 3.5, considering the

9. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Honestly, at this point I have little incentive to purchase pro before 4. I am underwhelmed with 3.5. But, maybe out is worth it for others

10. taumel

taumel

I wouldn't call 3.5 a release yet, it's Beta (with all the good and bad) and as i said full of broken promises.

I was very happy about certain functionality but the problem was as soon as you tried to use them, they almost all didn't work, like for instance a) there weren't a lot of audio enhancements, for instance built in FFT is badly missing, but one important one was being able to access the audio data which enables a lot of possibilities, but guess what, there is no data, so it's pretty much useless, b) the pathfinding isn't dynamic, now whilst i'm fine with this decision due to limited ressources, i'm not fine with that you can bomb Unity with the static version too, c) the new particle engine isn't thought through well yet and bombs a lot, d) camera input has its issues, a.o. it doesn't work in the browser at all, and so on...

Under realistic conditions and considering Unity's track record so far i don't see all these things getting properly fixed in a 3.5 or 3.5.1 release. And on top of that long time promises like a reasonable GUI haven't showed up at all in their initial form, which then needs to get fixed as well. So i really don't see a direct jump from 3.5.x to 4.0, not if they're taking their customers serious and silently changed to a subscription fee model.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

:(

12. SimonAlkemade

SimonAlkemade

At first I was very happy to jump to 3.5 beta but now I'm also thinking bout switching back. Next time the offer a beta I'm not going to rely on it professionally.

13. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

The main problem is when you accidentaly updated all your projects :D my fualt though unity did warn of this, but it hasent had any problems for me.

14. taumel

taumel

I mean there are companies/individuals which provide Betas which are tons more rock solid than what others are able to deliver after their final fifth bug fix iteration but you generally shouldn't rely on a Beta. It's also beyond me how you can accidently update all of your projects unless you're having less than two.

15. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I have three projects that have been converted i think but its not realy a problem i havent had any faults with unity 3.5 beta.

16. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

It is supposed to work, and always did in our testing - you just need to ask for permission using Application.RequestUserAuthorization. If that does not work, did you file a bug?

17. Tanel

Tanel

A professional probably wouldn't rely on a beta professionaly anyway.

18. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

I was wondering that too. It reminds me of when the British Royal Family indicated that Princess Margaret (who was known to enjoy a drink or six) had burned BOTH feet getting into a bath which was too hot. I guess the sizzling sound and smell of bacon wasn't sufficient indication that something was wrong.

19. taumel

taumel

LOL

@jonas echterhoff
    I couldn't get it running here, although i gave permission.

20. Demostenes

Demostenes

Well said. I have exactly same feeling. Unity is adding many features, but nothing works (bugged, or unfinished/useless). And instead of focusing on fixing this, they adding other features and platforms. New flash support is disaster, nobody sane will use it. Actually if Unity continues this way (and so far it looks they will), it will became quite useless engine good only for small crappy casual/advertisement junk.Never any bigger game, AAA not even in wildest dreams.

Already now there is ton of various memory leaks, ask developers from recent 48hour unity marathon. And each release it is worse and worse. Btw, new 3.5F1 crashed 3x during 5 minutes on simple scene (not even line of code, just few meshes and lights).

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

I thought they fixed your collider issue on big forests? Have you checked that?

22. ivkoni

ivkoni

Demostenes, harsh words. I don't think the hard working unity team deserves this sort of criticism.
    Of course all these new features will not work perfectly right away. Unity are well aware of this. I think this is why they called 3.5 a developer preview.
    I agree though, that the existing bugs will have to be fixed in 3.x and not 4.x.

23. taumel

taumel

@Demostenes
    Well, i'm fine with how 3.5 shaped up in the Beta. I think it was nice from Unity to release it in the stage it was and give us some christmas present. At least that's how it felt to me. :O) But for a final 3.5/3.5.1 i expect it to work much better, if not then this would be quite dissapointing as this would mean continuing the V3 route of bugs&pain. I'm also fine with that certain features, like the GUI system, which wasn't ready for release yet, didn't make it into 3.5 but due to the case story i also expect it to be released and getting fixed in a V3 product cycle.

I have zero experience about the Flash export option as i'm completely uninterested in this one but i also wouldn't have expected it being a reliable solution at this stage. Time will tell how long it will take Unity to get it into a mature state and if it's still interesting as a platform then but no need to dig into this subject again, in my opinion Unity made smarter decisions than on this one.

24. kerters

kerters

Demo, show some respect, shure these guys working hard to fix all bugs, just chill, acting like an angry kid benefits no one :D

$company-banner-2011-1.jpg

25. taumel

taumel

Hah, the adventure gamer in me wants to reveal some secrets whilst inspecting the picture with the mouse. Btw. using a custom mouse pointer also was screwed up in the Beta, looked distorted and squeezed.

26. taumel

taumel

Btw. it's photoshoped...

27. Alric

Alric

All photos are photoshoped.
    By the baddies.

28. GiusCo

GiusCo

Jumping on 4.0 bandwagon, this Christmas (tentative spoiler) :)

29. taumel

taumel

@Alric
    Nope, they aren't.

30. MrDude

MrDude

I've had some ad experiences with the upgrade thing. Some of my prefabs were destroyed etc. In going the other way and trying to open the project in a previous version of Unity you will see as soon as the project is open that THAT was not a smart move at all :p

So, for those of you who upgraded without backups and want to go back, it's not fool proof, I'm sure, but a method that has worked for me thus far is to simply select everything in your projects folder then export it as a package. Open up the older vernon of Unity you want to use and import it again. So far this has worked for me...

Since 3.5 uses a completely new prefab system it meant that work I did in 3.5 was completely useless to others so I simply used this method to downgrade it and all worked well...

I don't know, perhaps this is general knowledge, but for those of you who don't know of this little trick, perhaps it might prove useful info?

unityunity