Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Next-Gen Soft-Shadows 2] Sophisticated dynamic penumbra Shadows for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tatoforever, Nov 8, 2016.

?

Would you like to buy this on the Asset Store? If so, how much?

Poll closed Jul 10, 2017.
  1. I like it to be priced between 20 to 10$.

56.8%
  2. I like it to be priced between 10 to 5$.

39.0%
  3. Zero $, I'm not interested, I love my Unity's default aliased, pixelated horrid-shadows.

4.2%
  1. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

tatoforever likes this.
  2. tatoforever

tatoforever

@churi24
    Looking creepy and beautiful! Frame time is really good for such video card!
    When are you launching?
    PS: Get to our discord channel and post those in the showcase section! Also to follow live update and chat with tons of community members, we provide support for anything related to graphics and non graphics too. :)

3. churi24

churi24

Thanks! =)

We still don't have a release date. I'm pushing to get it out sometime next year. The challenge is that I'm coding it solo but putting in full-time hours. My room is a cave right now :p. My artist friend and I haven't started optimizing the game yet. We'll see how it performs with four players. I'm using Photon Fusion. For being hardware that's around 12 years old or more, it runs really well. See you on Discord!

tatoforever likes this.
  4. Graham-B

Graham-B

Is there a way to use Amplify Occlusion post process OR HBAO post process with NGSS?
    Whenever I try to combine one or the other with NGSS, I get bleeding edges in my scenes.
    Enabling NGSS_Receiver_Plane_Bias makes them slightly less ugly, but still unusable.
    Switching to deferred rendering appears to fix it, but I'd rather not lose anti-aliasing.

upload_2024-1-1_13-55-13.png

5. tatoforever

tatoforever

Does the bleeding happens with NGSS only or Amplify Occlusion only? Or when both are enabled simultaneously? What are the NGSS libraries installed btw?

6. Graham-B

Graham-B

I excluded the "UnityStandardShadow.cginc" file, and now everything is looking good. As far as I can tell, I think I can live without this one.

7. tatoforever

tatoforever

Ok, that was an old library that is not used anymore, I left it cause some people might still use it. Now if you run the NGSS Install Tool, you will see that it won't appears anymore (suggesting you don't need to install that).

Graham-B likes this.
  8. tatoforever

tatoforever

Small patch just got submited, v2.4.2.3
    Features and Changes:
    - Fixed an issue when FrustumShadows is being used with multiple stacked cameras

hopeful likes this.
  9. amachetel

amachetel

Still no functional solution for creating soft shadows with points and spotlights on WebGL?

10. tatoforever

tatoforever

Your friend asked on discord, and its working.

11. amachetel

amachetel

Thank you. there is any way to calculate the shadow not on all frames but on demand and freeze the shadow when we no longer want it to be calculated ?

12. tatoforever

tatoforever

If you are manually sampling shadows yourself yeah, you can capture light shadowmaps at any moment, disable shadows for that light and keep sampling the same shadowmap without updating it. Sort of how shadows cache works but you have to manually copy it and sample it in your shaders.

13. yasirkula

yasirkula

Hi, I have v1.9.6 of the plugin and am using directional shadows in a mobile project. Could you tell me the major changes that would affect my use-case if I upgrade to v2? For example, optimization is very important since this is a mobile project.

14. tatoforever

tatoforever

For mobile you are probably not missing much tbh, the filtering technique is very similar PCF. You might want to keep it if it works the way you want. If you have plans to support other platforms, then yeah you might want to get the latest version which include a lot of visual improvements to shadows.

yasirkula likes this.