Search Unity

[Next-Gen Soft-Shadows 2] Sophisticated dynamic penumbra Shadows for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tatoforever, Nov 8, 2016.

?

Would you like to buy this on the Asset Store? If so, how much?

Poll closed Jul 10, 2017.
  1. I like it to be priced between 20 to 10$.

56.8%
  2. I like it to be priced between 10 to 5$.

39.0%
  3. Zero $, I'm not interested, I love my Unity's default aliased, pixelated horrid-shadows.

4.2%
  1. tatoforever

tatoforever

If you don't see NGSS shadows while having Cascaded Shadows disabled, it means you didn't installed the Libraries.
    When you install the libraries, you get a confirmation message on the Installer window and the Editor console.

2. PROE_

PROE_

Hi, I'm making The Sims like building system in my game and I need to update shadows only when something is moved, does your solution support semi-dynamic shadows? Ah and if it does, can moving characters get dynamic shadows at the same time? I've read post from a long ago with you saying that it can be added with 2.0 release but I'm not sure if this feature is available or not :)

3. tatoforever

tatoforever

@PROE_,
    Yes, that feature I'm working on is called "cached shadows" and it consist of two depthmaps, one for static object (that is baked at user will) and one dynamic. Both depthmaps affect static and dynamic objects.
    Cached shadows will be available either in v2.3 or v2.4. So is planned yes. :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    PROE_ and hopeful like this.
  4. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

Woah this sounds really interesting! Looking forward to that.

tatoforever likes this.
  5. PROE_

PROE_

Great, I hope it will get released pretty soon :D

tatoforever likes this.
  6. wwg

wwg

@tatoforever - I've removed the previous version of NGSS and installed the latest. I add the NGSS_Directional script to my sun light and added the NGSS_FrustrumShadows script to the main camera (and drug the sun light into the Main Shadow Light property. It looks pretty nice, but I've noticed that the NGSS_Directional script doesn't seem to have an impact. I can change parameters, or even disable it and nothing changes. What am I missing?

Also, is NGSS intended to totally replace Unity default shadows? I've disabled the Unity shadows and the contact shadows and distant tree shadows look good, but there is no tree shadows when the camera gets close to the tree. If I enable the Unity shadows then the close-up tree shadows work.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  7. tatoforever

tatoforever

Can you show me an image of your Graphics Settings? Maybe you are using a custom deferred renderer with other Asset Store packages, this can override the NGSS shadows if they use their own Unity version but there's a simple way to fix it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  8. wwg

wwg

Graphics Settings:
    graphics_settings1.png

I am also using Overcloud, which has some screen space shadow effects.

9. tatoforever

tatoforever

In your built-in list of shaders. Can you send me the first file (Hidden/Internal-DeferredShading) through email support. I'm going to take a look at, pretty sure this guy is overriding NGSS shadows.

10. id0

id0

Is it version for HDRP will arrive anytime soon? HDRP contact shadows is ugly &#it.

11. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hi,
    Is planned for the end of the year yes.

id0 likes this.
  12. clagrens

clagrens

Hi, I want to ask about the Frustum Shadows is no supporting point light?
    If I add a point light in Frustum Shadows cover area, point light has no effect. And some strange edge.
    QQ截图20191004191612.png QQ截图20191004191634.png QQ截图20191004192531.png QQ截图20191004192549.png

13. clagrens

clagrens

unity 2019.2.2 dx11

14. tatoforever

tatoforever

@clagrens,
    Frustum Shadows currently works with only one light and the distance it cast shadows is not limited to the light range. So if you have multiple local lights (one of them set as the frustum shadows light) it will case infinitely shadows (instead of light range) over the rest of lights causing weird shadows artifacts.
    This behaviour will be corrected for the next update.

hopeful likes this.
  15. Pheck

Pheck

@tatoforever

Just to be clear on the frustrum shadow issue... I am also seeing it.

Will your update specifically fix this:
    The frustrum shadows are not currently brightened by other lights rendering on the same pixels.
    In this photo the dark (black) parts of the rock are frustrum shadows from the moon/sun position. The point light in the players hand lights up the area, but not the frustrum shadow pixels.
    upload_2019-10-4_11-41-27.png

If this bug will be fixed, when do you think the update will release?
    (thanks)

16. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hi,
    You can fix this by editing the NGSS library UnityDeferredLibrary.cginc and move the line 248 (frustum shadows sampling) to the line 224. Paste it just after atten *= UnityDeferredComputeShadow (wpos, fadeDist, uv);
    And re-install the Directional library of course. :)
    PS: It's already fixed for the next version.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    clagrens and hopeful like this.