Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Next-Gen Screen-Space Edge-Bevel

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tatoforever, Jun 17, 2020.

1. tatoforever

tatoforever

NGSSEB or Next-Gen Screen-Space Edge-Bevel is a camera command buffer effect that smooth the look of geometry edges. Perfect for detached geometry such as CAD or ArchViz models or any model that requires a real-time soldering touch.

Asset Store Link

Media:

NGSSEB_1_OFF.png NGSSEB_1_ON.png NGSSEB_2_OFF.png NGSSEB_2_ON.png

Highlights:
    - Super optimized and fast, adjustable quality levels
    - Smooth look, perfect for scenes composed of models that need this edgy attached/soldering look
    - Plug and play, does not require any asset modification, just drag the script to your main camera and voila
    - Compatible with any built-in shader (custom or not), works only with deferred rendering
    - AR/VR/XR single-pass and multi-pass supported

Install:
    - Just drag the script to your main camera and tweak the properties to suit your project quality needs

Notes:
    - Does not work with Forward rendering
    - There's no normal map masking now, gbuffer gets completely filtered but future versions will provide per-object/per-pixel masking to fine tune edge bevels even more
    - If you are targeting mobile don't go crazy with the Quality, recommended on powerful devices only

Future:
    - Improvements to the algorithm (better edge detection)
    - Screen space masking (per-object/per-pixel filter)
    - SRP ports (HDRP and URP planned for late 2020)

Support:
    Email: support@psychozinteractive.com
    Discord: https://discord.gg/AXJGzsm

As with our other products, our commitment and support to users is our top priority, if you are not satisfied you can request a refund. Money back guaranteed. :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    mgear likes this.
  2. Vadya_Rus

Vadya_Rus

This is awesome! I've been looking for a solution that is comparable to Lumion's edge softness tweak. Is this able to be tweaked on a per-material basis or does this work across all materials and surfaces? If I were to integrate this with my own shaders using Amplify Shader editor, how hard would it be to plug this using a custom node?

3. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hi,
    In the first version is applied to the whole Gbuffer but I have plans to do a per pixel/per material mask to fine select how much you want to bevel in an mesh.
    You can use this plugin with anything that support built-in renderer, no action or change required, just add it to your cam and it works.

4. olavrv

olavrv

Finally! Really hope HDRP support comes soon

tatoforever likes this.
  5. tatoforever

tatoforever

@olavrv
    I need to double check where Unity is with SRP pipeline buffer injection first but both URP and HDRP are planned for this year. Alongside the awaited port of NGSS to SRPs. :)
    PS: Did I forgot to mention satisfaction guaranteed or money back?

olavrv likes this.
  6. olavrv

olavrv

We have used NGSS before, and it is amazing! The HDRP built in screeen space shadows / contact shadows - seems to have no filtering and a lot of artifacts

tatoforever likes this.
  7. tatoforever

tatoforever

NGSS frustum shadows does both contact and full frustum shadows with more configurable options including multiple filterings and even an experimental temporal filtering.

olavrv likes this.
  8. tatoforever

tatoforever

Folks, don't forget our discord channel for real time NGSS/NGSSEB support or any related graphics performance tips! :)

olavrv likes this.
  9. olavrv

olavrv

@tatoforever How is HDRP development for SSB going? Very excited to purchase this!

10. StoneHill1337

StoneHill1337

Hey, any new updates for HDRP, is it working with HDRP? cheers

11. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hello,
    Like to buy this interesting asset.

Would it possible to disable all edges that are convex?
    So the result looks like this.
    Untitled-2.jpg

Or can you make it possible to have different values for convex and concave edges?

12. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hi,
    I answer your email about this but in case you didn't receive it: :)
    Is possible to do selectively apply this effect in certain materials by using the stencil buffer. For that you need to either use the provided Standard shader that comes with this package or add a stencil function to your shaders with the same ID (as the one set in the NGSSEB component).
    It's all explained in the documentation. But feel free to reach me out on my discord for real-time support or any graphics/performance question you have.
    Cheers,

hopeful likes this.
  13. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Ah okay, does that mean its not a pure screen image based effect?
    Do I have to prepare my shaders to have this effect generally.. or only to have convex and concave effects?

14. tatoforever

tatoforever

Is pure screen image effect. NGSSEB uses and patches Gbuffers. But I added the option to do it selectively (per material and up to 250 masks with the stencil buffer). You only need to add the stencil function if you want certain parts of your meshes to get filtered by NGSSEB. By default is the whole screen that gets filtered.

hopeful likes this.
  15. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

+1

16. MichaelRomaszewicz

MichaelRomaszewicz

Any progress on URP/HDRP ports?

17. tatoforever

tatoforever

Nothing yet, but i plan to port them to URP/HDRP after NGSS port later this year.

DragonmoN and MichaelRomaszewicz like this.