Search Unity

Newer versions

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by t-ley, Feb 23, 2020.

1. t-ley

t-ley

Ain’t the new versions supposed to be easier to work
    Instead they are a somewhat a pain
    I’m using version 2019.3.2
    But in the hub it says 2019.2.21f

Why does unity say a newer version is out in the editor

and it won’t open nothing I don’t get it

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

2019.3 is "newer" than 2019.2 in the sense that it is a major update of the game engine. Unity Hub allows you to have many versions of Unity installed at the same time. It's possible you have both versions installed. At the very least, you certainly can have both installed at the same time, and many people often have several versions installed at the same time.

Just be aware that 2019.3 releases feature many new engine upgrades/changes compared to 2019.2 releases.

Also, to your first question, I don't think anyone ever said that newer versions are "easier", no matter how you want to interpret the word easy. Often the very latest versions (like 2019.3) have a lot of bugs, since the newer the version, the less patch fixes have gone into stabilizing it. If stability is your main concern, look for LTS releases, such as 2018.4 LTS, which will generally be more stable, but with fewer features than the 2019 TECH releases.

3. t-ley

t-ley

That’s the problem is the latest version won’t
    Finish the installation process for mobile
    It installs for pc but when I try to install the package
    I get an error so how do I get the 2018.4. Get mobile
    I get this error in the screen shot
    I asked why this error and got no reply from use in the forum already
    Can u help what is a usable version
    Is it the latest or the one before
    Is it the LTS that won’t finish the installation process
    Or is the earlier version which is easier to get it on mobile
    Cause the last LTS version is a problem to get the package to work
    Can we publish a game with the last version that ain’t the LTS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  4. dgoyette

dgoyette

Probably in that case, the only way to know what's going on is to look at a log file for the installer and see what it says. When installing, are you using Unity Hub? Or are you directly downloading the installer from the website? The error you got is just a general error, so for someone to help you they'd need to know the specifics of the error. I'm not sure where that log would be located on MacOS, though.

In general, all of those versions are usable. The error you're getting is likely something specific to your setup, which is hopefully something you can resolve once you figure out what the actual error is. And you can publish a game using a non-LTS version of Unity. That's fine.

Anyway, keep trying to figure out what the actual install error is. That's probably the only way to move forward on this.

5. t-ley

t-ley

Thanks
    that Is super helpful
    What do u think if I had a racing game made and it was able to be built in the build settings pretty simple mobile or pc
    But if I keep adding cars it crashes the computer
    When it built in the build settings with two or three cars
    Or if I add something it crashes the build

is it the duplication that’s bad or if it works
    And is playable can it be published
    Or does it have to pass the build or run On our end
    To be published
    Thank you for helping

6. dgoyette

dgoyette

Your post is a little confusing. If your game runs for a while, then crashes, that just sounds like a bug in your game. Look at the player log in that case to see the error. Maybe it's just some error in your logic you can fix.

When you say "crash the build", do you mean that you're unable to successfully build the game? Or that the built copyt of the game crashes? Those are to very different things, with completely unrelated (probably) causes.