Search Unity

[Newby] Searching for some example of a point & Click home building game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nielsnl68, Feb 16, 2017.

1. nielsnl68

nielsnl68

Hello all,

I am new to Unity and want to learn more about it. My goal is to create a game like this game: design this home or Little Dream Home but with a twist. I want to put it in space.

Sadly im not that familiar with all the game types that exist and therefor i have a hard time finding an game example in the asset store or on github.

Would someone mind to tell of there is a example script out there, that i can modify? Or give me something to search for? I did already some searching but did not found anything useful or i just did not see the potential of the shown asset.

thanks in advanced

Niels

2. ikazrima

ikazrima

I haven't played those games but I'm currently working on something similar.

You'll need a runtime level editor of sort. I'm using my own system, but I guess you could use this. Replace with custom models and you get yourself something to play with.

Putting it in space or anywhere else doesn't really make a difference on how you develop it. Fundamentally it's still the same just with different background and props.

3. nielsnl68

nielsnl68

Thank you for your time to answer me.
    I have been looking at the engine you suggested but sadly i can not see how i can use it for what i wanted to do.
    Would you mind explaining a bit more?

Thanks

4. ikazrima

ikazrima

Sorry didn't weigh in your experience before. I'll give an overview how I made mine. (The most basic version, can't show the complete one)

grid.png

What's required for the system to work (these are things that you can google individually)

- A grid system. 2D grid is enough for mine. Objects are constrained within the grid.
    - Move object by dragging (touch or mouse, or maybe you want to use controller idk)
    - A snap-to-grid function. Mine can only move an object by 1 unit at a time.
    - Object rotation, I don't use scaling.
    - Dynamic wall/floor generation? (A bit advanced stuff if you're just learning)
    - Save and load objects orientation. You don't want player to lose their creation when they come back.

However these are just for the layout editing part. The other aspect of the game (managing avatars, stuff like that) is another thing altogether.

As always if this is your first game, make something easier first. But if you have experience before, I guess it's doable? Anyways, good luck on your journey :)