Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie wants to create a 3D racing game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matencio, Feb 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matencio

matencio

I'm learning the Swords and Shovels right now but, I really want to create a road rally game. Does anyone have experience with this type of game?

Would anyone like to collaborate? Thanks

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I experimented with a racing game a few years back. Got a good functional prototype out of it, and then put the project on hold where it still remains.

There's some good asset store stuff for cars and roads available. I used Realistic Car Controller to control the car, which worked really well for the player. For AI cars at extreme speeds (170+ mph) the cars would become unstable (continually over correcting their turns), at lower speeds they worked great. I wouldn't be surprised if the high speed behavior has improved since then, and I was fairly novice with Unity at the time so I might be able to figure out the fix today if I tried again.

My biggest issue was available racetrack models at the time, as there were few, and I lacked the modeling skill to create high quality ones myself.

matencio likes this.
  3. matencio

matencio

I'd like to do a rally type where the racers run against a clock, have to decipher clues and get points during each phase. Do you feel like working with me on what you started? There's more but don't want to tell all on an open forum if I can monetize this, which I think I can.

4. matencio

matencio

What I have in mind doesn't require high speeds, actually, they have to drive legal speeds and lose points if they go over or arrive early, but there is more than that and it's fun.

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm unfortunately 2 years deep into my own project which is now a bit behind schedule, so I don't have time to help develop yours. What I did in my racing prototype was not all that special though, as it mostly involved working with asset store content and experimenting, before I decided to pursue a different project instead. Feel free to private message me anything though, and if I can help with issues I'll try.

matencio likes this.
  6. matencio

matencio

No worries. At least you replied back. I'm having a heck of a time getting the editor to show up for the Swords and Shovels game.

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Racing is one of the easier things to get started with. But to get that right feel is hard. Its same with any genre, to get the right feel is whats hard. Most game devs do not get it right, not even big studios.

matencio likes this.
  8. matencio

matencio

That's an understatement. I think it's because the faster the virtual car goes, the less control the player has, which I think comes from feedback. Our fear makes us slow down in real life, and feeling the car dynamics start to get squirrely sends the signal it is going beyond its capabilities. That has always been what I found was missing in every car racing game.

That being said, the racing game I have in mind doesn't require high speeds, will include regular traffic, stop lights, police and a lot more. And I'd like to set it up so people can race for real money. That's why I really need some help with this one.

9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ryiah and matencio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.