Search Unity

[Newbie] Road Rash OR Bike Physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iamfeyre, May 25, 2016.

1. iamfeyre

iamfeyre

Ok so im new to unity and trying to make a bike race similar to road rash..

So the problems..

1) i cant find a bike race tutorial anywhere... Literally ive searched so much.. I cant find a single tutorial.. Id be very grateful if u could point me to a motorbike tutorial..

2) in road rash... How is the bike moved left and right?? According to me they moved the bike normally but just added the animation that the bike was tilted.. Id really like some help on this :):)

3) i cant find any animation for the player to make it sit on the bike... I searched a lot...

4) this will be needed later.... But lets say that i got it all setup.. How do i make my player kick sitting on top of the bike like road rash??

If you could point me to something that explains bike physics like torque and center of mass... And answer my questions :):):):)

I LOVE U ALL :):):):):):):)

2. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

On old games like Road Rash, all of the physics were faked. The image of the bike and biker was a prerendered sprite. To lean the bike (or kick or anything else), a different sprite was shown. If you wanted to make a game like that today, you could use similar methods or you could build a fully 3D environment. It would be up to you, depending on the look you are going for.

3. iamfeyre

iamfeyre

@ShilohGames yea i really thought it was fake...

but...

1) still cant find a tutorial for bike physics and all...

2) ok i can move bike left and right... :):)

3) i NEED animations... i cant find animations... i tried search alot... i cant even find mocap for player in sitting position for bike... how will i find a kick one lol... plz help..

4) if the kick was a fake animation... then how was the enemy rider triggered for kick??

Thank YOU man... I love u all :):):):)

4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Old school games like Road Rash did everything with sprites. It was not animations in the same way we would animate a 3D model today. Back then, it was several static images played in a specific order, which gave the illusion of motion.

Before concentrating on building a game like Road Rash, start by building a very simple project where you move a box around the scene based on keyboard input. Learn the basic concepts of using game objects and transforms to order to control simple objects in the scene. Start here:
    http://unity3d.com/learn

Once you can move a box around the scene, then start thinking about how you want to implement your game. For example, if you wanted to build a Road Rash clone today, you would need to choose between using with old school 2D graphics or building a fully 3D version of the game. How you handle animations would be different depending on which style you choose. In a 2D game, everything is a 2D sprite. In a 3D game, the models would be 3D and would use animations.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    karan-veer, zombiegorilla and Kiwasi like this.
  5. iamfeyre

iamfeyre

@ShilohGames

i know the basic concepts really well..

PS - plz name me the terms used for 3d motorbike physics.. Ill research on them on my own :):)

And road rash was 2d??!!! How ??!!! ;);)

Last edited: May 26, 2016