Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie question on how to creating a build for Steam download

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NikoMeta, Mar 24, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NikoMeta

NikoMeta

Hello!
    I have finally completed my game in Unity. After building, a folder is created with the following:

* A folder named [NameOfMyGame]_Data
    * A folder named MonoBleedingEdge
    * A program file (exe-file?) with a name specified by me beforehand in the build settings
    * A program file (exe-file?) named UnityCrashHandler64
    * A dll-file named UnityPlayer

After all the admin is handled (like filling in forms about content, languages and platforms) and all the artwork is submitted for the store, the biggest hurdle still remains: how to upload my build.

Is it the folder in its entirety that should be uploaded (in zipped format)? Will this automatically result in players being able to download and install the game?

As you have probably guessed by now, I don't understand the basic stuff: what are the functions of the build files/folders, respectively, and which ones should be uploaded to Steam?

One tutorial I tried to follow told me to upload "the game's exe-file". Now, that can't be right?

I'd much appreciate if someone took the time to explain some basic stuff about Unity builds and how these should be handled when uploaded onto Steam.

Best regards,
    Niko

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

I don't know about Steam but you definitely need everything that's in the build folder for your game to function.

3. mgear

mgear

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Contact/search the steam site, everything you need is there. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.