Search Unity

Newbie needing help understanding character shaders and textures

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by unity_hFrYUGnkIYolCQ, Jun 25, 2019.

1. unity_hFrYUGnkIYolCQ

unity_hFrYUGnkIYolCQ

Hello, I'm a semi competent programmer and I've been learning Unity for a couple weeks now. I'm now trying to learn how to make character models look decent in-game and am using the UMA system. I purchased a model from Arteria3d that looks beautiful on the website, but when I bring the character into my unity project, the model's textures look very muddy and show very little detail at all.

I've included pictures to show what the model should look like and what it looks like when I import it into my Unity project.

Is there some work I need to after Importing the model before Unity can display it correctly? Or is this a problem with my Unity project in general? Maybe just a lighting problem? Any help or suggestions at all to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

BadShaders.PNG DemonArmour_PIC_1_Arteria3d_1159x.progressive.png

2. Invertex

Invertex

Well, could you share a picture of the material settings on that character?

3. xibanya

xibanya

Also check the import settings on your textures, it's possible that they're being compressed to a lower res than they actually are (ie, showing up at 512px res when they are really 2048)

4. unity_hFrYUGnkIYolCQ

unity_hFrYUGnkIYolCQ

This was indeed the problem. After unchecking the compress imports preference I reimported the assets and the textures are much higher quality now. Thanks!

xibanya likes this.