Search Unity

Newbie Indie Developer - Advice On Direction/Next Steps

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by qwertywasd17, Jun 24, 2022.

1. qwertywasd17

qwertywasd17

Hello there. Believe it or not, this is somewhat of a coursework assignment to get familiar with using forums in the indie game dev space. Not a requirement, but I wanted to go ahead and try anyways.

So I developed and launched a little indie game during one of my personal weekend game jam challenges and here it is: Super Nuclear Speed Racing

It's not much, but it's a decent start for my first published game.

I would love some advice on moving forward in indie dev. I've heard study everything, make lots of small games, and build quick prototypes. I'm very passionate about indie dev. I currently operate a successful asphalt maintenance business that provides me with a satisfactory lifestyle, but I'm not passionate about asphalt so I'm slowly and safely pivoting away.

Here's another project I'm working on: Over Many Waters

Looking forward to hearing from some friendlies out there!

2. r31o

r31o

When making a game there are questions you have to answer:

-You want to play this game? You are going to play dozens of hours to this game, so pick a genere that you like.
    -Is your game idea original enough to stand out? If not, it will be just another game on Steam.
    -There is public for your game? If not, no one will play it.
    -Can you make it? You have to consider your budget and abilities, making a battle royale, for example, wont be a good idea, since you need a lot of knowledge, and dedicated servers.

If the answer to all this questions is yes, you can create a new unity project and start coding. (Use the universal render pipeline or URP)