Search Unity

Newbie Here: Best Tools to Learn

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by AsterUchiha, Aug 17, 2019.

1. AsterUchiha

AsterUchiha

Hi!

So I’ve got no background with coding or game design.. maybe I’ve gone crazy, but I think I can create what is essentially a cyoa text game with multiple endings based on a user decision tree. I draw so I’m trying to add my own art and music to supplement the text. I’ve been watching tutorial videos and studying C# but I’m not finding what I need. My game won’t have points or a timer, just a series of buttons that display different drawn pieces and play corresponding music. Using that medium I’d like to tell an interactive story. I’ve got a basic map that has 4 endings. I’m drawing and scripting still, but in my down time I want to learn the code to make this work.

All I’ve got is a title screen so far that plays music and has a game start button not connected to a game. Any recommendations to learn more about setting this up or terminology I should be using to help find tools online? This is a labor of love, not something for others. I want to make something I can enjoy.

I’m understanding the best way to search this may be to learn about if then statements and nest them. It’s going to be a small game so I don’t foresee this method being an issue. I’m looking to find resources mostly. I’ll teach myself, I just need to know where to find the information.

2. Green11001

Green11001

Unity asset store might be what you are looking for in terms of art and sound
    There are plenty of tutorials online for you to find what you need
    If you get stuck you can ask questions here

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The first thing I'd do is learn how to use the OnClick event to call a function you write. Basically, you create a MonoBehaviour script, attach it to an object in the scene, and on the button's inspector window you add that GameObject with the MonoBehaviour to it's OnClick and tell it to call your method.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/script-Button.html

To start with just have that method called Debug.Log, so you see it works and says something in the console. After you get that working then you can add some functionality to that method. Like that button can switch scenes, or it can play a sound or change the text being displayed to progress your game.

I would expect basic UI tutorials are all over YouTube, and I'm sure there is one in the Learn section here.