Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question Newbie afraid of spaghetti logic

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by aaouviz, Apr 18, 2024.

1. aaouviz

aaouviz

Hi all,

I'm looking for a better way to do this with cinemachine.

I have multiple cameras, I want to enable one via clicking on a box and disable all the others. The script attached works, but if I have 20+ cameras it will be quite ridiculous and I don't wanna be that guy.

Any help much appreciated!

upload_2024-4-18_10-58-22.png

2. termway

termway

Hi there,

I can think of two solutions for you:
    • Store all your cameras in a list, then disable all your cameras and activate the camera you want.
    • Store your current active camera in a variable and disable the previous.
    But I think you should create a subgraph that takes in a parameter, the camera you want to activate, and does all the necessary stuff inside that subgraph.

Something like this:
    upload_2024-4-20_17-5-5.png

upload_2024-4-20_17-5-10.png

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  3. aaouviz

aaouviz

Thank you for your reply!

I'm not familiar with Subgraphs, so I'll check these out.

I actually figured this out, though, on my own :) ....I did basically exactly as you said with the variables, but set them as scene variables. It works well.

Thanks again.

termway likes this.
  4. termway

termway

Glad you figured this out yourself.

Just a warning though, you should be careful when using multiple subgraphs in parallel (https://forum.unity.com/threads/incorrect-output-value-with-multiple-subgraph-instances.1302684/)

My advice for you is that once you are comfortable with the Unity API (method names), you should drop visual scripting and learn C#. You will be so much better in the long run (functionalities, resources, version control, LLM, debugging, performance, ...)

Gregoryl likes this.
  5. aaouviz

aaouviz

Thanks for the tips.

I'm a huge fan of visual scripting - I was completely lost in Unity until I found it. I use node based systems in other work (grasshopper, tyflow, 3ds max material editor) so it works well for me.

I don't plan on becoming a game developer or anything and I'm only using Unity to create simple interactive experiences for ArchViz so I do hope to stick to visual scripting, but if I make the move into more complex territory I do suspect you're right.