Search Unity

Official New! VR Beginner: Escape Room

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Woolley_Kat, Feb 24, 2020.

1. bendrechsel

bendrechsel

This is frustrating, to say the least. At this point, I could have learned more starting from scratch instead of trying to get this "Beginner" project running.

This worked as a workaround to the "Close & Save" roadblock, but I'm still faced with several import errors when importing this package directly into a blank 2020.2.3 project; see screenshot.

(I'm using 2020.2.3 as an attempt to work around the numerous shader errors present when importing into 2020.2.6-2.7)

Attached Files:

2. jon176

jon176

Does anyone know if there any way to import the XR Rig and all of the movement settings from the Escape Room tutorial into a new project where all of the scripts and everything are intact?

I've been trying to figure everything out over the last couple months, and while I am starting to figure out the scripting and design and everything, I'm having a tough time developing the movement from scratch.

I basically want to have the Prototype scene from the tutorial as a starting point for a new project.

3. robertrlewis

robertrlewis

I'm just starting to get this PrototypeScene running and I've been unable to see it on my Quest 1 connected to a Windows 10 PC with Oculus running on it. Using 2020.2.7f1, I get several Shader errors and, more perplexing, a warning that I have "No camera container specified for XR Rig". I've followed the tutorial instructions exactly, I think, and at no time was there any setting of the "XR Rig" component required. What have I failed to do?

4. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

I am also experiencing the same issue using Unity 2020.3 LTS with a HTC Vive; I have installed:

Steam VR 2.7.3
    Open VR 1.1.4

The hand controllers will track & move but the interaction does not work at all.

Has anyone got a solution to this?

SaintAnsgarVR likes this.
  5. ManjitSBedi

ManjitSBedi

I was able to get the project partially working - grabbing objects seems to work. I followed this article and modified it using Unity 2020.3 LTS as the editor.

https://skarredghost.com/2020/09/25/steamvr-unity-xr-interaction-toolkit-input/

I can upload my hack to GitHub and make the repository public - I assume there is no issue with doing this?

What is left to do is get teleporting to work with the HTC Vive controller. I am assuming the teleport action needs to be associated with a Steam VR action; I am still learning how this all works .

6. jroeder

jroeder

Can you simulate a headset and controllers in this? One of the key features of VRTK for my purposes, teaching a high school elective class on Unity and VR, was that you could simulate VR input with a mouse and keyboard, allowing you to (at least somewhat) test your game without needing to have the headset available to do so. I don't have nearly a full class set of Quests, and even if I did, we're teaching remotely right now.

If there are such simulation features, can someone point me towards the documentation on that?

7. JackSeabourne

JackSeabourne

Hi I'm a newbie with Unity and when I open this project in version 2020.3.6f1 its missing a lot of textures and has multiple compiler errors which stop me from entering play mode. Any advice on how to resolve this? Esacpe_Room_Missing_Textures.png

8. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

It's possible you need to upgrade the project materials to UniversalRP Materials.

We saw a user on the Asset Store (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/tutorials/vr-beginner-the-escape-room-163264) saying that "Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Editor/ShaderGraph/Templates" us causing some conflicts.

If this is similar to what you're getting, than the issue is 100% due to not using URP. (ShaderGraph isn't part of the default render pipeline.) You can follow this tutorial to upgrade your project to the Universal Render Pipeline: https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/introduction-to-urp#

9. SaintAnsgarVR

SaintAnsgarVR

We are also having this problem with our Vive controllers.

10. SaintAnsgarVR

SaintAnsgarVR

We are having the same issue as well.

11. sean_virtualmarine

sean_virtualmarine

From the Hub (3.0b) I downloaded this package. Clicked open. And got an entirely empty project. Empty Assets folder. No XR related plugins. Nothing.

So I gave up and moved on.

12. rhap4boyz

rhap4boyz

I finally got it working after reinstalling my OS. I think originally I had too many different version of Unity therefore had all sorts of errors.

I got it working with the following

Oculus Quest 2
    USB to USB-C Link cable
    Mac Pro 2013
    Mac OS X Big Sur
    Unity 2020.3.15f2
    Oculus Developer Hub
    I used the VR Beginner The Escape Room in the Learn section of the Unity Hub

I had to use android build to get it to work.

Once you get the game running, remember to grab the key on the desk to open the drawer to get the book.
    Once you put the book on the monitor, all other features like teleport should start working.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  13. ZiggyXR

ZiggyXR

Oculus Quest 1 using Oculus Link
    Windows 10
    Unity 2020.3.1.16f1

Stat the project and open up up the PrototypeScene and get 9 Compiling errors.

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\AxisDragInteractable.cs(143,29): error CS0115: 'AxisDragInteractable.OnSelectEnter(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\AxisDragInteractable.cs(151,29): error CS0115: 'AxisDragInteractable.OnSelectExit(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\DialInteractable.cs(179,29): error CS0115: 'DialInteractable.OnSelectEnter(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\DialInteractable.cs(202,29): error CS0115: 'DialInteractable.OnSelectExit(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\XROffsetGrabbable.cs(33,29): error CS0115: 'XROffsetGrabbable.OnSelectEnter(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\XROffsetGrabbable.cs(54,29): error CS0115: 'XROffsetGrabbable.OnSelectExit(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Error building Player because scripts have compile errors in the editor

Build completed with a result of 'Failed' in 1 seconds (1304 ms)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: Error building Player because scripts have compile errors in the editor
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (UnityEditor.BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x002ca] in <ef3b6bf002d8435a97b4e938f6c49b02>:0
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (System.Boolean askForBuildLocation, UnityEditor.BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00080] in <ef3b6bf002d8435a97b4e938f6c49b02>:0
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

Any suggestions?

14. KaiserKaur

KaiserKaur

Wow! You made that? Amazing work, I would like to see more of your future endeavours! :)

Oliver0769 likes this.
  15. Oliver0769

Oliver0769

It's so cool that you can learn such amazing stuff online. Which are the best free courses in your opinion?

16. Perselope

Perselope

Hi! I am using Oculus Quest 2 with Unity 2020.3.14. Teleport does not work in EscapeRoom or PrototypeRoom. In EscapeRoom I unlock the teleport and I can see the teleporter beams, I press the directional input forward pointing to the beam and release it but I do not move. I can only rotate my position by pressing the directional input left or right. Please could you help me to find out why the teleport is not working? Thank you

17. krougeau

krougeau

*smh* Alright, I've been out of touch with Unity for the last couple of years (shameful, I know) and thought, hey, this looks like the perfect spot to jump back in, but... While it seems that most people have managed to get this running without too much hair pulling, I'm dead in the water from the start.

I'm currently using an HTC Vive Pro Eye (though I do have an ancient Rift here as well). When I loadup the initial Lesson, it seems like it's only setup for the Rift & I get no response from my setup at all. Fine... So I installed Steam VR & now I'm at least getting video through the HMD & the hands are tracking, but I can't move or interact with anything. As this is a "newbie" tutorial, I really didn't expect there to be quite so much in the way of undocumented setup on my side... Am I missing something? What can I do to get this thing up and running at least far enough that I can see how it works?

Any help would be much appreciated! It says this tutorial would take me 3 hours and I've already spent twice that tinkering with things that just don't work. :(

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  18. Doc_Martins

Doc_Martins

I just wanted to say that this is (or would be) a really great starting point for VR development and teaching, I wish I could use it often, but it is sadly limited in terms of device and framework support.

I would be happy to see the project updated to support the XR Interaction Toolkit v1.0, so that among other things we have access to the very useful simulator; and also support for OpenXR, which is supposed to be the new multiplatform standard and supports a wide variety of devices and controllers, using the New Input System.

krougeau likes this.
  19. DoctorMikeReddy

DoctorMikeReddy

Are the old VR Escape Room tutorial and assets still available?

20. DoctorMikeReddy

DoctorMikeReddy

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package. I have Unity 2020.3.:(

22. fakecrusader_unity

fakecrusader_unity

Sounds like a copout. It's delivered set up as a Quest project, hardly agnostic. Plus loads of detail about what needs to be done to get it working with Quest. I assumed this was included because the alternatives simply worked, but they don't. What is the point of fast iteration if you sacrifice days trying to get the intial configuration right? The project hasn't even got the XR package required for Vive. At least publish a list of prerequisites for the other platforms - and it's no good looking at documentation if you don't know what plugin package is supposed to work with this project in the first place. I only got it working through educated guesswork.

23. Hairo_-

Hairo_-

Thanks for this let's goo on a learning journey woo!

24. Buvud

Buvud

I am unable to do this project even though I really want to. Here's what's happening:
    whenever I try to playtest, my hands appear floating maybe ten feet away from where they are supposed to be. Any suggestions?

25. Buvud

Buvud

Using an Occulus quest with air link btw. but neither a wired connection or VDT work. Any help?

26. Marald

Marald

Issue in 2019.4 with running parts of this xr rig in my scene.
    I get interactionStateType.GetField("activatedThisFrame"); errors, but cannot find anything on it.

XRReleasecontroller.cs is part of the interaction toolkit, but somehow always throws an error when on enabled is executed, anyone got some ideas where to look?

It seems to be running fine in 2020.3

27. Realform

Realform

for the next line I used
    ligne 115 : change" TrackingOriginMode "to "trackingOriginMode "

[ NEW ]
    this one :
    change" TrackingOriginMode "to "currentTrackingOriginMode"
    for anything else the same
    XR.Interaction.Toolkit ver 2.0.1
    unity 2020.3.3f1

28. diversitytipped

diversitytipped

Looks so interesting

29. janyzzz

janyzzz

Imported the assets to Unity, but I can't get it to build and run on my quest 2 (using a MacBook with Unity 2020.3.37). I am able to build and run with Unity Hub template 3d without the asset, but after I imported the asset there are a bunch of errors and I can't build. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

This does not work at all for quest 2. Please fix.

31. KingRials

KingRials

For some reason the VR escape room isn't working for me. I can't even download it. Can someone help?

32. ranmafan

ranmafan

I've got the exact same issue in the prototype room. Oddly when I copy the EscapeRoom XR Rig over, the hand tracking works (but a lot of other stuff is broken, naturally). I would like an answer for this too.

Fixed it! Update: For 2020.3.36f1, Meta (Oculus) Quest 2. Project Settings -> XR Plug-In Management -> Oculus setting

Interactions:
    Under the XR Rig prefab, for both the LeftUIInteractor and RightUIInteractor, under XR Ray Interactor in the Inspector panel, manually set the Interaction Manager to XR Interaction Manager. The scene's default is None (XR Interaction Manager).

Positioning:
    The HandProto prefab model (Assets -> VR Beginner -> Prefabs -> Tutorial -> HandProto) has a position offset that was screwing with the position. Resetting its Transform -> Position -> XYZ to 0,0,0 fixed the problem.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  33. chiarainn

chiarainn

Hi everyone,
    I successfully managed to deploy both on Oculus Quest and Quest 2. Everything works fine except for the Exit door. Even if the correct potion is poured, door do not open, and lock do not dissolve or disappear. is there a correct way to pour the potion or something else I can do? Does this happen to anyone else?

34. AnaWilliam850

AnaWilliam850

Thank you! this looks very great

35. Joeldesigner3d

Joeldesigner3d

Hi! I am using Oculus Quest 2 with Unity 2021.39. Teleport does not work in EscapeRoom or PrototypeRoom.