Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official New! VR Beginner: Escape Room

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Woolley_Kat, Feb 24, 2020.

1. soleron

soleron

Thank you. afaik WMR does not work with standalone exe apps. They were talking about making it possible but I am not sure they have yet. Do you have any idea?

2. soleron

soleron

I suppose you mean the new XR platform? It would be great to see that is has a universal drag and drop teleportation.

I have started the tutorial but just stopped where the first teleport is being implemented. Looks like it is not a free TP feature, but I will follow the tutorial and find out.

3. DigitalIPete2

DigitalIPete2

Sorry no experience with the Link cable, I use an Oculus Rift S for desktop testing and build to Quest for checking all still ok.

4. yannick07

yannick07

Hi, great example.

How did you bake all you scene into one big texture using shared texture zone between different objects ?
    (A automatic render to texture for example will duplicate all color by object and not use the same texture zone)
    What was your process on that ? Did you do the texture by hand, at the end of the project, then replacing all objects unwrap at the right place also by hand (may be quite long, and even longer if there are some modifications afterwards), ... or it was some kind of automatic process will precise tools (which ones) ?
    If you need to add a new color/texture for example, will you have to redo everything ?

Thanks in advance

5. UnityJackT

UnityJackT

Unity Technologies

Hiya, glad you enjoyed the project!

You were right in thinking all the textures were done by hand in photoshop (they are just block colours) and as you suspected it can be a rather tedious process changing and adapting UV's as the project grows but with some planning we were able to keep it down to only a few texture maps with minimal revisions. Although Uv'ing all the objects multiple times can be annoying was worth it in our case to save valuable project space on textures. Hope this helps, let me know if anything needs clarifying.

6. ThinkHims

ThinkHims

I'm also getting the same error while importing the package. Anyone who can help?

7. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hey there!
    This might be due to a problem with the original download from the Asset Store ending up corrupted. Try deleting the corrupt package from the Asset Store location (On Windows this is found in the AppData/Romaing/Unity/Asset Store-5.x within your username folder in the C drive. On Mac this is found in the Library/Unity/Asset Store).
    Once deleted, try restarting Unity and re-downloading the package.

This can be due to an interruption in the download, incorrect admin privileges, or moving the location of any Unity related files. A re-download/install of the Editor should also help fix this if the above steps don't work! :)

8. jasonvill

jasonvill

Hello, Loving trying out the new VR tutorial. Trying to get it figured out before I let my students play around with it.

Having an issue with teleporting in EscapeRoom. Prototype room seems to work fine.

Unity Version 2019.3.5f1
    Oculus Quest

In the escape room, everything seems to work. Head follows well, can grasp items and follows headset movement, green teleport arrow comes up, but then you can't teleport.

I looked to see if the teleporteranchors are there. They are, but nothing happens when the teleport beam is on them, even though I know where they are supposed to be in the room.

I toggled between the two rooms to try to figure it out. In the Teleportation Anchor in EscapeRoom I notice some differences between prototype room. Interaction Manager says None vs XR Interaction Manager in prototype room.

Not sure what the issue is....any ideas?

9. Ken3dguy

Ken3dguy

Are there steps available to make this work with the Oculus Go?
    thanks!

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is this working in Unity 2019.3.7 with URP on Android ?

11. pitchblende

pitchblende

The section https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/implement-sound-effects that mentions adding all four SFXImpactHeavy sound effects to the Contact Sound Player script could mention that the Clips > Size parameter should be increased from 1 to 4. As a newcomer it took me a while to figure that out. In particular, trying to drag multiple SFX files doesn't seem to work, as I can't select multiple files in the Project window without losing focus on the interactable object in the Inspector. Or if I click the Element selector icon, I'm not able to select more than one file in the "Select AudioClip" pop-up.

It might also be worth adding a note about hitting Enter/Return or clicking another field after typing the Line entry for the CC audio clip database, otherwise it doesn't "take" the new value, which is confusing if you just type and then close the dialog.

There's also a strange bug with the CCDatabaseEditor when adding multiple audio clips at once - I added all four SFXImpactHeavy clips and found that after adding Lines for the first two, the last two already had new Lines entered, but when I closed and reopened the editor dialog, the last two didn't actually have any values set. So it's some kind of UI bug I think.

One last comment - the slider in the XR UI is quite stuttery on my Quest, over Link with Unity "play" or even with an Android build. I can grab it and move it easily enough, but it often pauses mid-movement, only to catch up a short time later. This makes it jump around. The interactor colour changes from white to green even though I still have it "grabbed". Once it catches up with the hand, it goes white again. I would expect a UI component to be silky-smooth - any idea why it's not? EDIT: I understand what is happening now - my hand is moving slightly too far away from the slider control, which makes it stop moving, but because I'm still interacting with it, when my hand gets close enough again the slider jumps to this new position. This is probably fine, although I expected to maintain control of the slider regardless of hand range while it's still "grabbed". Probably just a preference thing, although having more consistent control throughout the motion would be a smoother experience I think.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  12. pitchblende

pitchblende

You have to turn them on via an in-game sequence. It's part of the puzzle.

I did notice an unusual bug at one stage - even though they were activated, the teleporters stopped responding to the teleporter beam.

EDIT: I've figured out what's wrong with the teleporter beam - if you point it at a specific teleporter but then change you mind and move the selector beam to another teleporter, it will not let you select the new teleporter (it doesn't activate). Looks like only the first teleporter you interact with (via the selector beam) can be chosen as a destination. If you want to choose a different destination you have to return the direction thumbstick to neutral and then select the other destination. This is probably not ideal.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  13. MirrorSpock

MirrorSpock

I loved the tutorial, and I would love some suggestions on which tutorial to do next, for example, how was the fusebox created, so that only the Type "Fuse" is accepted ect.

or a tutorial on how to start from scratch

14. Emikey1

Emikey1

How does this example compare with the Oculus / Unity Escape room vertical slice?

I need to find a good example + tutorial for the Quest to learn the basics ....

15. pitchblende

pitchblende

Next Steps (https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/next-steps) suggests using some of the provided 3D models to create our own XR grabbable objects. It suggests we do this by adding them as GameObjects and configuring the XR Grab Interactable script. However when I add the XR Grab Interactable script to one of these objects, it disappears from the scene (in VR view). Do I need to create a more elaborate GameObject, within which I add the model?

EDIT: I found my problem - adding the XR Grab Interactable script automatically adds a Rigidbody component, but it doesn't add a Mesh Collider, so the objects were actually falling through the floor immediately. Also, I noticed that most of the objects in the Tutorial are actually used with the XR Offset Grabbable script, rather than XR Grab Interactable - what's the main difference?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  16. UnityJackT

UnityJackT

Unity Technologies

Our last upload was with 2019.3.1 but there have been no major changes so an newer release of 2019 should work fine

17. UnityJackT

UnityJackT

Unity Technologies

Sorry the Oculus Go isn't one of the platforms we decided to support as it is outdated by the newer Oculus models. Although you may be able to get the project to build, you will likely have some graphical issues becuase it doesn't support Vulkan and the controls will likely not work becuase AFAIK the Go only supports rotational controls and not movement in 3D space making it near impossible to pick up objects.

All that being said I'm sure with enough work and problem solving you could port this to be suitable for this and other lower end VR platforms!

18. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am trying to get my pull lever working like the one in your fuse-box example. But instead of smoothly moving the lever when you grab it, It just pops to the end of it's rotational arc. Is there a video explaining the Proper use and set-up for the DialInteractable script??

19. RojCowles0121

RojCowles0121

Thanks for this tutorial! Went through it in a couple of hours and is probably going to unblock some personal, weekend, projects I've been meaning to start and haven't due to the near vertical learning curve for a relative Unity n00b like myself.

I especially loved how I could configure the project Build Settings, thank you for the step by step guide to this too, for Android but use my Quest in Link mode to quickly iterate and test changes to the scene and then do the far longer build to generate the APK and load it on the Quest so I could take the end result mobile. Brilliant way to work!

Couple of questions :-

1) Do you know if there are tutorials that show how to setup the XR Rig, Camera, and teleport setup from scratch just using the latest Unity XR tools? I'd love to import both of these into other projects, and could get that by importing this Escape Room tutorial but that seems overkill just for a VR setup and movement system. Also be good to delve deeper in what I can do with the vanilla Unity XR tools. Or maybe I could import the Escape Room into a new project and delete any Assets that aren't needed in my project and test until I only have the necessary models, textures, scripts and other elements necessary to bampf around in a scene?

2) Are there any usage/license restrictions on using any of the escape room Assets in other projects? I'm guessing that using these in personal projects that will never be distributed is fine but curious about other cases.

20. ZKukulj

ZKukulj

Hi, all, tried to follow the tutorial, it looked awesome in the description.. so I downloaded the project via hub, opened it, and it correctly opened in Unity 2019.3.15f1 (64-bit) but throwing one error "Import parameters got modified during import".. I could open scene and click play, and the scene would load in my vr (rift S via steam) .. but when I try to do what is requested in the tutorial and do "FIle - Exit" in order to save the project to different location all hell breaks loose.. looking like the image attached.. what ever I click at that point will crash unity and project.. Please, Where the problem can be? :)

Attached Files:

21. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Hey!
    Thanks for sharing your enjoyment of the Tutorial Project!

As for your questions;

1) The Prototype Scene Tutorial as part of the Tutorial covers how to set up the Camera, XR Rig and teleport setups without need for any assets whatsoever! The Prototype scene is also much smaller and thus could be imported into other projects far easier than the Escape Room scene.

2) You can use Assets from this project in other personal projects! Some Assets can also be used commercially, as long as it's not a straight up reupload of our project and our assets are only a small part of the project.

Good luck with the rest of your VR development journey! :)

Hey!
    Thanks for reaching out and sorry you're running into problems! We'll investigate what's wrong with the installation process through the hub. For the time being what I would recommend is creating a blank, 3D project through the hub. Once there, navigate to the Asset Store and download the VR Beginner Project https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...l-projects/vr-beginner-the-escape-room-163264. This will function as a normal Unity Project and can be saved without needing to close out the editor :)

22. Tgordonread

Tgordonread

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get the project to work but having difficulty. I'm using the HTC Vive (w/ beacons) and when I run the prototype scene, I get caution in the console that it cannot detect a camera. I have SteamVR running as well and the headset is definitely being detected.

I checked player settings but dont have a XR option for SteamVR? Any ideas?

Thank you.

23. mrb12126

mrb12126

I downloaded it and then deleted it, it affected my project, and even after deleting it the colors are still changing because of it and the characters are not what they were .. How can I fix it?

24. Desoxi

Desoxi

Does this work with oculus handtracking?

25. Desoxi

Desoxi

Is there a way to edit the XRController.cs? Any attempt to edit any script from the escape room project is undone after compilation.

EDIT: New and custom scripts compile fine
    EDIT #2: Fixed the issue by copying the whole xr interactions package from "Library/PackageCache" to "ProjectRoot/Packages"

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  26. NestorVG

NestorVG

Hi, is it possible to configure the input? I am a VR beginner, I have used Unity for 3 years now, but I don't know how to set the controller settings so that I can define how actions are performed. I am using valve index controllers (knuckles) and SteamVR as VR platform, I can see the scenes in VR but the hands can't interact with anything. I have been able to try out the SteamVR interaction demonstration but that was already prepared for the setup I have basically.

Edit: I also have the warning: "No camera container specified for XR Rig, using attached GameObject"

27. clintjcampbell

clintjcampbell

I have the rooms start up when I press play, but I cannot get my vive controllers to interact with anything in the prototype scene, or the escape room. No teleporting, or grabbing. Let me know if there is something I am supposed to enable.

28. tacman1123

tacman1123

I'm using a Quest 2, but can't teleport in Escape Room. N00b, so not sure how to fix it. This was not using the editor, but creating an .apk and sideloading it. Not sure what to do text. Tried with both 2019 and 2020.

29. AzExLion

AzExLion

i don't got the XR settings in the android setting how do i fix this?

30. GarudaSpaguda

GarudaSpaguda

This tutorials works fine in 2019.4.1f1, but then starting fresh and running it in 2020.1.12f1 with the XR plugins installed for WMR, It runs like complete garbage. Even my scene viewer is sluggish.

31. AndrewSeyderhelm

AndrewSeyderhelm

Hi, I have been using the VR beginner tools and interactions as the basis for a VR training experience. I am using 2019.4.8f1 and I just updated the Oculus XR Plugin and the XR Interaction Toolkit and now the VR Beginner scripts are broken:

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\DialInteractable.cs(179,29): error CS0115: 'DialInteractable.OnSelectEnter(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\DialInteractable.cs(202,29): error CS0115: 'DialInteractable.OnSelectExit(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\AxisDragInteractable.cs(143,29): error CS0115: 'AxisDragInteractable.OnSelectEnter(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\AxisDragInteractable.cs(151,29): error CS0115: 'AxisDragInteractable.OnSelectExit(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\XROffsetGrabbable.cs(33,29): error CS0115: 'XROffsetGrabbable.OnSelectEnter(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\Interactables\XROffsetGrabbable.cs(54,29): error CS0115: 'XROffsetGrabbable.OnSelectExit(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

Please may I have some advice on how I can fix this? (or will I just need to remove the VR Beginner tools?)

thanks

Shepps and designleviathan like this.
  32. tacman1123

tacman1123

Also getting some of these after updating to the almost-released version of the XR Interaction Toolkit (1.pre, released on Nov 17, 2020). I also updated the Oculus XR Plugin, so not sure which one caused this.

Perhaps it could be the new Input System?

designleviathan likes this.
  33. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It's the XR Interaction that breaks this. Just confirmed it on my project.

34. AyanoKaito

AyanoKaito

Hi, I have HTC Vive cosmos headset and it appears that the controllers of this helmet are not supported in the project.
    My hands moving, but I don't can teleport or grab anything.

What I can do for fix this problem?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  35. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I would like a Fix for this for the XR Interaction Toolkit Package Ver: 0.10.0 . This is the third time I have reported this in this thread.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. error CS0115: 'DialInteractable.OnSelectExit(XRBaseInteractor)': no suitable method found to override

36. MyFault

MyFault

Is it safe to say Unity has now realized this tutorial is just so broke it isn't worth even trying to help people with it?

37. osacris

osacris

Hi everybody , like most of you i'm freeze whith the new XR interaction toolkit compability whith new-vr-beginner-escape-room. It's seem i found a way to move forward ...
    I fix the issue by making a small change in differents file.cs...
    • AxisDragInteractable.cs :
    ligne 143 : change" OnSelectEnter "to " OnSelectEntered "
    ligne 145 : change" OnSelectEnter "to " OnSelectEntered "
    ligne 151 : change" OnSelectExit "to " OnSelectExited "
    ligne 153 : change" OnSelectExit "to " OnSelectExited "
    • XROffsetGrabbable.cs :
    ligne 33 : change" OnSelectEnter "to " OnSelectEntered "
    ligne 51 : change" OnSelectEnter "to " OnSelectEntered "
    ligne 54 : change" OnSelectExit "to " OnSelectExited "
    ligne 68 : change" OnSelectExit "to " OnSelectExited "
    • DialInteractable.cs :
    ligne 179 : change" OnSelectEnter "to " OnSelectEntered "
    ligne 199 : change" OnSelectEnter "to " OnSelectEntered "
    ligne 202 : change" OnSelectExit "to " OnSelectExited "
    ligne 204 : change" OnSelectExit "to " OnSelectExited "
    • MasterController.cs :
    ligne 87 : change" InteractionLayerMask "to " interactionLayerMask "
    ligne 88 : change" InteractionLayerMask "to " interactionLayerMask "
    ligne 115 : change" TrackingOriginMode "to "trackingOriginMode "
    ligne 153 : change" InteractionLayerMask "to " interactionLayerMask "
    ligne 195 : change" InteractionLayerMask "to " interactionLayerMask "

******** Et Voilà !**************

38. frpe1

frpe1

Nice Osacris.

That fixed the first problem.
    But now 4 new error appear.

Code (CSharp):
    2. Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\System\DebugController.cs(23,13): error CS0619: 'XRDevice.isPresent' is obsolete: 'This is obsolete, and should no longer be used. Instead, find the active XRDisplaySubsystem and check that the running property is true (for details, see XRDevice.isPresent documentation).'
    4. Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\Gameplay\MasterController.cs(115,19): error CS1061: 'XRRig' does not contain a definition for 'TrackingOriginMode' and no accessible extension method 'TrackingOriginMode' accepting a first argument of type 'XRRig' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    6. Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\Gameplay\MasterController.cs(153,33): error CS1061: 'XRRayInteractor' does not contain a definition for 'InteractionLayerMask' and no accessible extension method 'InteractionLayerMask' accepting a first argument of type 'XRRayInteractor' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    8. Assets\VR Beginner\Scripts\Gameplay\MasterController.cs(195,32): error CS1061: 'XRRayInteractor' does not contain a definition for 'InteractionLayerMask' and no accessible extension method 'InteractionLayerMask' accepting a first argument of type 'XRRayInteractor' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

39. designleviathan

designleviathan

A few months ago this example was a pretty good standard to learn from and now starting fresh again with it in 2020 or 2019.4 (despite being LTS) just comes with a world of headaches and bug fixing which makes it fairly untenable for the audience its supposed to target.

It should get fixed to work with the current XR toolset before the big jump to OpenXR (which seems probably still a full year out from being shippable).

Unity's VR devs need a stable base to learn from today and ship off of tomorrow. This project should be the gold standard in unity's XR workflow and should support the "major three" headset types (Vive, Oculus, WMR) "out of the box".

Could we please get a bug-fixing / stabilization pass please?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    s123top, bendrechsel and danideter like this.
  40. GCMSA

GCMSA

Hi, Same issue with an HTC Vive Pro VR system. I have no idea why. Can anyone help on that?

SaintAnsgarVR likes this.
  41. designleviathan

designleviathan

For @frpe1 & anyone struggling with the "error CS0619: 'XRDevice.isPresent' is obsolete:" error you can solve it by doing the following to update the Controller script:
    1. Create a new script called HelpfulXrUtilities.cs or something similar.
    2. take the code from this page that your error kinda points you to: https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/ScriptReference/XR.XRDevice-isPresent.html
    3. Paste this into your HelpfulXrUtilities.cs and rename the instances of of the class name
      ExampleUtil -> HelpfulXrUtilities
    4. In your controller script - change the line that line that references the depreciated code to your new Utilities class.
      1. EG:
        HelpfulXrUtilities.isPresent()

42. designleviathan

designleviathan

For @frpe1 & anyone struggling with the "error CS1061: 'XRRig' does not contain a definition for 'TrackingOriginMode' "

There is a typo in the project for XRRig. Set TrackingOriginMode to trackingOriginMode

EG:
     if (m_Rig.trackingOriginMode != TrackingOriginModeFlags.Floor)

BECOMES

if (m_Rig.trackingOriginMode != trackingOriginModeFlags.Floor)

43. designleviathan

designleviathan

For the InteractionLayerMask - I set it to raycastMask instead. I am not sure if this is 100% correct but it works for now.

44. designleviathan

designleviathan

You could also just reference XRSettings as well.

EG:
    XRSettings.isDeviceActive

45. Shukla182

Shukla182

It should get fixed to work with the current XR toolset before the big jump to OpenXR (which seems probably still a full year out from being shippable).
    Dale Hollow News

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  46. feartentvr

feartentvr

I'm using an HTC Vive and everything works except I can't get any interaction out of my controllers. They track, but I can't teleport or grab anything.

SaintAnsgarVR likes this.
  47. jeremyrcook

jeremyrcook

I cannot figure out how to get this project to even load. I open it and the editor opens, tries to open the project and crashes. Every single time. It doesn't crash the computer at all, doesn't use much memory resources and the hub doesn't crash. I'd love some suggestions. I am using a new Macbook with an M1 chip. Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 3.15.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 3.14.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 3.14.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 3.14.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 3.15.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 3.15.23 PM.png

48. merckkk

merckkk

hi all,
    brand new to unity. I've been trying to get this working by following the tutorial. But I can't even get it to build correctly. When I open the finalprototype scene, i get unrecognized and undeclared identifier shader errors. This is when trying to build it for android (to run on a quest 2). I tried building for windows and that fails as well with 31 errors.

I believe I've followed all the steps in the tutorial correctly. I've also tried a few setting tweaks I've seen people mention here. I am running it under unity 2020.2.4f1 - i couldn't see how to open the project under 2019 since it automatically opens in 2020 when i first open the project.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

bendrechsel likes this.
  49. s123top

s123top

I also have followed the tutorial to the letter and cannot get the default scene to build due to shader errors.

I am using 2020.2.51f and get these compiling errors:

Shader error in 'Shader Graphs/TeleporterQuadShader': undeclared identifier 'UnityBuildTexture2DStructNoScale' at line 1041 (on metal)

Shader error in 'Shader Graphs/TeleporterQuadShader': undeclared identifier 'UnityBuildTexture2DStructNoScale' at line 1310 (on metal)

Shader error in 'Shader Graphs/TeleporterQuadShader': undeclared identifier 'UnityBuildTexture2DStructNoScale' at line 1578 (on metal)

Shader error in 'Master': undeclared identifier 'UnityBuildTexture2DStructNoScale' at line 793 (on metal)

Shader error in 'Master': undeclared identifier 'UnityBuildTexture2DStructNoScale' at line 1068 (on metal)

Can someone help me solve this problem please? I am stuck.

bendrechsel likes this.
  50. merckkk

merckkk

Delete the escape room project, and then download unity 2020.2.3 and try opening and building the escape room tutorial using that. After you have done that, you can then upgrade the existing project to unity 2020.2.5 if you want to.

bendrechsel and drfuzzyness like this.