Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

I noticed in your latest release you fixed some WebGL issues. I tested the latest version today, and everything seems to work fine. Thanks!

2. jjxtra

jjxtra

Yes, WebGL fixes were submitted. Also FYI all multiple moons are now supported and most of the sun/moon properties are now accessible from a Suns and Moons array on WeatherScript. Only one sun is still supported, but that will change in a future update.

Mark_01 likes this.
  3. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Multiple moons? Got to try that out! I don't know what that would do to tides in real life, but it should look cool in a game scape.

4. jjxtra

jjxtra

Let me know what you think. I would highly recommend the sun/moon tutorial located in the readme.txt file. Linked here also for everyone else:

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  5. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Thanks for the video. I will definitely watch that.

I am getting a warning message:

Property (_WeatherMakerMoonLightColor) exceeds previous array size (8 vs 1). Cap to previous size.
    UnityEngine.Shader:SetGlobalVectorArray(Int32, Vector4[])
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerScript:SetGlobalShaders() (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/WeatherMakerScript.cs:443)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerScript:UpdateShaders() (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/WeatherMakerScript.cs:465)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerScript:Update() (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/WeatherMakerScript.cs:665)

This is version 2.2.1

6. jjxtra

jjxtra

I'd love Unity to fix this warning, but until then you simply have to restart the Unity editor.

7. rgarrett7

rgarrett7

Thanks! That worked.

Also, the changes you made to the clouds, especially the heavier clouds, really made them look nice!

8. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks. Yes I had tried several times and failed but this time finally they look good and have that nice gray with light edges look.

9. auhfel

auhfel

Hey, I picked up Weather Maker and it looks pretty good.

I can't get it to work on mobile, though. I'm using a Moto G4 Play (modern but low end) and whenever I build to it, it just force crashes. This only happens when the weather maker prefab is in my scene (even if it's disabled, it still auto-force crashes). I'm sure one of the shader effects is not supported.. maybe something to do with sleet or fog. However, I dunno what it would be, and I don't know how I would even got about disabling it (I tried deleting parts of the prefab that had things I suspect were heavy, but it yelled at me and threw errors on trying to start)

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Deleting the managers from the prefab will let my game start on my phone. So probably a function in there is calling something that is crashing.. I still think it's probably a weather effect ruining it tho.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  10. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will get it working on my 2013 Nexus 7 and post back.

11. auhfel

auhfel

Thanks, much appreciated.

12. jjxtra

jjxtra

Just a heads up everyone, it appears Unity is mangling the particle systems for some people. If you are having trouble getting rain to appear, see rain moving up, etc., double check the particle systems, on the velocity over lifetime, make sure the y values are all negative.

Mark_01 and StevenPicard like this.
  13. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I just bought this yesterday and that's exactly what was happening to me. I'm glad you posted this solution.

14. auhfel

auhfel

Any progress on this issue?

15. jjxtra

jjxtra

Still debugging. Will post immediately once I have something.

16. auhfel

auhfel

Thanks, I appreciate the update.

17. jjxtra

jjxtra

Can you email support@digitalruby.com and we will work this out through email. I was not able to get it crash on my Nexus 7 2013 version.

18. auhfel

auhfel

Will do. I'm away from my machine right now and likely won't return till late tonight, and I may or may not get anything done tonight. Expect an email sometime tomorrow, though.

Thanks again

19. laymelek

laymelek

Hello,
    I used your Free RainMaker package and loved it! Way to promote your WeatherMaker package :) great Job...

I am thinking about buying the Weather Maker but there is two thing very important for me..

I am making a 2.5D platformer.. Is the dynamic lightning of the weather included?
    Does this package works with mobile platforms (androind and ios) ?

20. jjxtra

jjxtra

It depends, you may be better off using the 2D lightning version. I only support 2D and 3D, but the 2D lightning may work. 2D demo:

Weather maker works great on mobile, I've tried very hard to optimize the shaders for performance.

21. laymelek

laymelek

Hi Thanks,

I bought it and giving it a try :)
    Can I use the moonlight on WeatherMaker2D? Because you assign sun to "sun" but didnt assign moon to anything

22. FergJoe

FergJoe

Hi Jeff! Just picked this up today and have had a blast tweaking all the parameters! I'm a pretty terrible artist when it comes to designing skyboxes, so I've been using AllSky in my project so far. Is it possible to integrate the skies in AllSky with your SkySphere concept? I'm going for a more "fantasy" look in my project, if that helps. Thanks for a great system - looking forward to integrating it into my project!

23. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, 2D doesn't have a moon yet.

24. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does AllSky use the Unity skybox or do they have their own custom sphere or cube for the sky boxes?

25. FergJoe

FergJoe

It uses the default Unity Skybox - they have a few custom shaders for the skies, but all are pretty basic tweaks of Unity's Skybox/6-sided shader. I've been using basic particle effects with them up to this point for weather, but your implementation is way beyond what I've done both visually and performance-wise in VR!

The sky you included is beautifully done, I just know I'm going to get creative with this and wanted to see if there was a "right way" to do this before I start experimenting. :)

26. jjxtra

jjxtra

I *think* what I can do short term is add a 4th sky sphere mode - transparent. That way only the procedural clouds will show (if any) and the Unity Skybox will show behind. Would that work for you?

27. FergJoe

FergJoe

If that's doable, I think it could work! I'm happy to try it out and help you refine, as well.

Your SkySphere concept is a better implementation than the Unity 6-sided approach - I can see the seams in a lot of those, while your mesh can be tweaked and adjusted for a performance / quality balance. Unfortunately, most sky assets are still using the default cube implementation. If you ever come up with a way to "convert" those, it would be a major feature (and selling point) for WM, I'd bet!

Thanks for taking the time to help!

28. jjxtra

jjxtra

29. FergJoe

FergJoe

30. jjxtra

jjxtra

Ok awesome. I implemented a transparent sky sphere with just clouds just now but sadly there is a horrible bug in Unity. The Skybox when set on the camera with clear flag "Skybox" always renders on queue Transparent - 1. I am not sure why this is, I've reported the bug to them. I'll probably just put the link to that website in the documentation for converting 6 textures to panorama if it works for you.

31. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Does it support Single Pass Rendering in VR?

32. jjxtra

jjxtra

Yes, I own HTC vive and have tested with that.

Mark_01 and buttmatrix like this.
  33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Great, any plan to support the VRWorks plugin for VR rendering? It would be great with a weather asset that does it. It is not big changes that needs to be done. A few macros to change to support it. It could speed up VR a lot.

34. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will look into it for sure!

35. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Great, if you do decide to support could you post it here. I can buy a copy and help you test.

36. jjxtra

jjxtra

Of course I will post for sure.

37. jjxtra

jjxtra

This is a Unity project that worked great converting those cube map images to a panorama: https://github.com/Mapiarz/CubemapToEquirectangular

You'll need to create legacy cube map asset, set the face size to 2048 and then assign the six textures and then run the tools -> convert to equirectangular option. Let me know if that works for you.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  38. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Thanks again for this plug in, it has been great. Question; I am looking to have the moon rise at a specific time, Phase and location in the sky, as opposed by the settings in the DayNightCycle (lat/long/date/time) On first glace it looks like these changes might be able to be made in function "UpdateMoons" in the script "WeatherMakerDayNightCycleScript.cs"

I thought, before I dive in a screw things up I should ask.

39. jjxtra

jjxtra

Currently the moon phase is determined by the moon position and sun direction. Sounds like you may want a custom script to determine the moon position. Right now the only positioning option is based on Earths day / night cycle, but I could add a second option for "Custom" in which case you would be responsible for assigning a script to position the moon. Would that work?

40. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I don't want you to have to do custom work for just me. I can go another route, but SO kind of you to even offer.

Have a great day.

41. jjxtra

jjxtra

You ca
    Happy to do it. The thing is, this change benefits everyone who wants a custom moon phase and position. UpdateMoons would be the place to modify code, but look out for this enum in an update soon :)

42. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

I will keep my eyes out. I'm a software developer (business apps) so I grasp the level of detail it takes, and the troubles involved in changing specs within an existing project. (The HORROR!!!)

I do have another actual issue. When I turn on the SkySPhereCloudShadowProjector I get a flickering on some items. Also, if I have the "Far Clip Plane" property above 200 I get a translucent square in front of the camera (FPSController)

I don't need this, so nbd, and I guess it's something I am doing. I have a large scene (you can get the VR app here: http://www.blissgig.com/default.aspx?id=45) and because of a number of things, mostly my inexperience with Unity/VR my scene is QUITE large, my Camera's clipping plan FAR is set at 30,000 (if that means anything to your asset)

43. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does this flickering only happen in the editor? If so that is a known issue. It *shouldn't* flicker outside the editor, but let me know if it does. Can you send a screenshot of the square? Might be easier to move this offline, email me at support@digitalruby.com.

44. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Yea, the flicekring happens in the Game Window and when I set the app to VR and view it within the Oculus Rift. I get details and send you an email tomorrow. However, this is NOT a rush.

45. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks. I have a package for you to try with a custom orbit script property when you email.

46. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

EDIT; Never mind, I was looking for WeatherMaker as the NameSpace, it's DigitalRuby (I feel so foolish)

---------------
    As long as I am bothering you.... How do I access your Weather Maker objects in a C# script. I am used to adding a "using" statement, and I have seen that you can access a script directly in Unity / C#, however I have not been able to get that to work.

I looked through these posts and scanned through your YouTube videos looking for any ref to accessing the objects via code. I'm blind and/or stupid, aren't I?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  47. jjxtra

jjxtra

A great question! Create a new script and then add this to the script:

using DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker;

class MyScript : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public WeatherMakerScript WeatherScript;
    }

Then in the Unity inspector, drag the root of the Weather Maker prefab to your script in the WeatherScript field. This will assign the reference.

Alternatively, you can use WeatherMakerScript.Instance from any script without assigning a reference.

In both cases, the WeatherMakerPrefab object should be in your scene.

JamesWjRose likes this.
  48. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Yea, Once I realized that WeatherMaker was likely not the root namespace.... duh. I didn't even check.

49. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

Currently, it appears volumetric lighting is effective for real-time lights only; perfectly reasonable.

I'm curious, is it even feasible to enable baked lights to receive volumetric lighting effects?

50. jjxtra

jjxtra

I've never worked with baked lighting. Since baked lighting is static, it would make sense to include the shadows which Weather Maker doesn't even attempt to do for performance. I will investigate however to see how difficult this is to do.

Mark_01 likes this.