Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Coding42

Coding42

I am currently considering buying this asset and was watching the tutorial videos which look amazing. But when I checked out the demo for pc I was in shock! Is it outdated that much?
    I found a bug where raineffect keep on appearing on the ground even though there was no rain anymore. (could not reproduce)
    Snoweffects and raineffects look not that good to be honest.
    Fog was not appearing.
    volumetric lights... not that good
    clouds: yeah, they are awesome
    also the transition was pretty amazing
    sun missing some better flares
    nightsky: cool

So is it thet good like in the videos and the demo is just not polished at all or is it more like in the demo?
    It is quite an investment for me...

2. jjxtra

jjxtra

It's probably a year old maybe? I will get a new one uploaded... please note my refund policy is 14 days if you are not happy and I can't fix concerns / issues.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  3. Coding42

Coding42

Ok, 14 days to test it sounds really good! Will buy it the next days when I have plenty of time and check it out. Thanks!

4. deepimpact-daisuke

deepimpact-daisuke

5. jjxtra

jjxtra

What do you mean by 'confirm'?

6. jjxtra

jjxtra

I uploaded a refresh of the current Weather Maker version to the asset store that will resolve integration issues with the standard URP template project. Demo video:

7. deepimpact-daisuke

deepimpact-daisuke

I'm sorry for the delay in replying your message.
    I appreciate your kind assistance out of your busy schedule.

That's the answer I've been looking for! Thank you very much:)

jjxtra likes this.
  8. Xanderxavier

Xanderxavier

Greeting's seems your mirror intergration seems to cause errors even when mirror not present
    Assets\WeatherMaker\Prefab\Scripts\Extensions\WeatherMakerMirrorNetworkScript.cs(10,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Mirror' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) bunch like it and every other major component in that script, can fix by deleting the code from networkscript + player + networkedplayer related to mirror but still, to note.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  9. derkoi

derkoi

Sorry to post this because I can see you've put a lot of work in to this asset but I've tried numerous times to use it in my games since I purchased it Dec 4, 2017 but the quality and performance are always terrible for me.

I tried again today and used a selection of 'low quality' profiles like simple, fast, fastest & VR fastest but the results are the same.

Below is my game test scene running on the Nintendo Switch with another Sky asset (which I'ved used on many devices and works very good)

Here are some screenshots using Weather Maker with the VR fastest quality settings:

Now I see a lot of great features with Weather Maker and a lot of great reviews but I can't understand why I can't get decent quality & performance from it. Even on lowest settings the performance is terrible.

10. jjxtra

jjxtra

Hard to say. I could take a look at your project if you’d like. Please email support@digitalruby.com and I’d be happy to have a look. One thing that stands out is the water, is that weather maker water?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  11. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, I'll see if i can sort a repro out. The water is just a simple plane with a standard transparent material and a bump map on it, it's not a real water plane, there's no animations.

12. jjxtra

jjxtra

Another thing from your screenshots is it looks like the top screenshot is flat clouds only from the other asset, whereas the weather maker are all volumetric. The volumetric will render much slower than flat. You can force fastest profile for weather maker by dragging in the fastest profile into the performance profile on the weather make script on the root of the prefab. Then you can uncheck "Auto Set Performance Profile".

13. jjxtra

jjxtra

There appears to be some very serious bugs with latest URP and latest Unity. I've reached out to Unity for guidance and clarification.

Some issues I am seeing:
    - Post processing writes to a texture that is not blitted to the final render, causing no post processing to appear
    - No _CameraDepthTexture is generated even though depth settings are on
    - Screen space shadow map is either missing or renamed to a different texture

Probably there are others, these are just the show-stoppers I know about.

If you are not tied to URP, I highly recommend sticking with the standard pipeline for now. I will do my best to try to get these issues resolved, but it's possible they are out of my control. If we are lucky, maybe these are bugs in my code, however this is stuff that recently stopped working after I upgraded the URP package, so...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  14. XthemeCore

XthemeCore

I use weather maker with URP 7.3.1 with Unity 2019.3.9f1. Only the sky and weather maker objects appear when depth texture is enable in weather maker profile while other game objects disappear.

In vice versa, I disable depth texture in the profile, the other game objects appear but the sky disappear instead.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  15. mike000mike

mike000mike

Unity Can not download 01.png
    Hi,always 0% ,but other assets download OK

16. jjxtra

jjxtra

I am re-uploading the asset to see if it helps, but otherwise I have no control over this, I would suggest reaching out to Unity support.

17. mike000mike

mike000mike

thanks,OK now!

18. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

Hi Jeff,

Any update/eta for HDRP support?

19. Dr_Fragg

Dr_Fragg

Hi Jeff!
    I'm just finishing up a game in which I used Weather Maker.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1292610/Angle_Wars/
    It was great to be able to easily set up clouds, snow, lightning, etc. for each different scenario. Also, the fog zones were useful. Just wanted to drop in to show you what I'd done with it, and say thanks!

Vincent454 likes this.
  20. jjxtra

jjxtra

No, I am focusing on standard pipeline and trying to work through a host of URP bugs, HDRP is simply not in the short term plans due to the amount of time supporting standard and urp pipelines. But if anything changes, I will of course post here :)

razzraziel likes this.
  21. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sweet! Your game looks very fun to play, will be getting it as soon as it's ready to buy!

22. Game-Whiz

Game-Whiz

Hi, I just bought Weather Maker after seeing Rain Maker. I'm having difficulties getting it to render properly in URP, on an iOS project (the DemoScene2DTo3D, with WeatherMakerURPProfile). Also, as soon as I add the WeatherMakerURPProfile, 2D lights stope working, which I really want to use in my game.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Alex

23. jjxtra

jjxtra

I don’t support 2d lights. What urp version?

24. Game-Whiz

Game-Whiz

25. jjxtra

jjxtra

Is that version available in the package manager? I only see 7.3.1...

26. Game-Whiz

Game-Whiz

I’m using the 2020 beta version because of the new 2D features. I’ll wait until it’s released and I’ll try Weather Maker then.

27. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sounds good. Being a solo indie dev, I don't support beta versions of Unity due to lack of time :)

Game-Whiz and hopeful like this.
  28. Game-Whiz

Game-Whiz

Being a part time solo indie dev, I support indie devs like you :)

Vincent454 and OdderOtter like this.
  29. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks! Soon as 2020 is rtm I will get right on it!

30. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 5.9.11 is out and contains volumetric cloud depth buffer enhancements! There is also an option to restrict the volumetric clouds to a box collider, and the performance profile has an option to cast shadows on to the clouds using the cascade shadow map.

31. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Any new water?

32. jjxtra

jjxtra

No new water. With crest ocean becoming the defacto standard for Unity water, I've settled on integrating with their standard pipeline code under the MIT license, my repo is at https://github.com/DigitalRuby/crest.

hopeful likes this.
  33. jjxtra

jjxtra

Another screenshot of cloud shadowing by cascade shadow map:

upload_2020-5-5_15-13-23.png

Vincent454, hopeful and razzraziel like this.
  34. Vincent454

Vincent454

This looks amazing, I love this asset!

35. xpachin

xpachin

hey man, i bought this asset a loooong time ago, and since then it has been improved a lot, but i wonder if it has been improoved in the 2d section as well, becouse i havent seen much info about it and the demo is the same as it was back then, but the 3d videos show a lot of new effects and options.

36. jjxtra

jjxtra

You may not have noticed but you can render the 3d sky, sun, moon and clouds as a backdrop for a 2D game, that was a cool recent addition. But you are right, 75% of people care about 3D so that is where most of my time goes.

37. xpachin

xpachin

can you update de 2d demo or upload a video of this? please?

38. razzraziel

razzraziel

oh, a new competitor for you :p

39. Dr_Fragg

Dr_Fragg

Hi,
    I just updated to the latest version of Weather Maker for the newest features...I'd been using an old one, version 2.7 I think. I've been tweaking all the ambient lighting, time of day, changing all the gradients to flat white, etc., but I'm having trouble getting plain fluffy white clouds, they're always tinted gray, or reddish green. Am I missing a quick setting somewhere? I tried checking the demo scenes to see what I'm configuring wrong, but the skybox/colors are all flat & wonky in them. Maybe I need to re-import :-/

Here's puffy cloud config at noon, using default skybox
    upload_2020-5-11_14-1-59.png

It looks more stormy...is that what I should expect?

Thanks!

40. jjxtra

jjxtra

Not sure what's going on there, that is a big upgrade, my guess is too much has changed. You could start a new blank project and try the demo scene...

41. coolguy_platinum

coolguy_platinum

hey i was wondering how would i go about making the weather maker all toon style themed?

i was just wondering, can you give me pointers/tips on how to make a cartoon sky with cartoon clouds?

i also have the real toon asset in the store. i want my whole game toon style. i tried changing material on some textures and

materials... but it made everything come out weird.

42. jjxtra

jjxtra

The biggest thing would be lowering the scale on the cloud noise on the volumetric cloud profile. You could then tweak the lighting settings like light absorption, cloud color, etc. to try and get the look you want. For cartoon clouds, a lower scale should work better.

43. coolguy_platinum

coolguy_platinum

Thanks. That did work! And now I just have another noob question lol. How do I change the blue in the sky? Its a little too blue. Wanted to lighten it a little.

44. jjxtra

jjxtra

The sky sphere profile and atmosphere profile should have some color settings for that.

45. coolguy_platinum

coolguy_platinum

The sky actually looks perfect in the editor. But in game its dark blue. Is that because I need to change something else?

46. jjxtra

jjxtra

Shouldn't need to, that is odd that it looks different in the two windows. I am not sure what is going on...

47. jjxtra

jjxtra

Are you setup with linear instead of gamma lighting in your player settings?

48. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker Volumetric Clouds FPS Running on 1080 TI @1920x1080 resolution Unity 2019.3.12. This video starts at simple quality level and works all the way up to fantastic (highest quality).

cygnusprojects likes this.
  49. coolguy_platinum

coolguy_platinum

I can check. I'll be workin on my project later today and will let you know.

50. coolguy_platinum

coolguy_platinum

it was gamma. now i have it in the process of changing to linear...