Search Unity

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. CarpeFunSoftware

CarpeFunSoftware

Saw
    When both cameras were tagged as "maincamera".

However, just note that you may have issues even if the 2nd camera isn't tagged as "MainCamera". To duplicate the situation, just use a test scene of your own making, and use your standard WeatherMakerPlayer prefab (already has a camera on it, as you know). Create new camera object, and drop it into the prefab hierarchy. Remove the duplicate audio component.

Tagged as "MainCamera" or not, you will see that the clouds don't appear in the skybox in playmode. Adding it to allowed cameras doesn't solve it for some reason, IDK why.

I'm not at all concerned about this, now that I've found the problem. I'm past it. But you may be interested. :)
    upload_2019-5-8_14-41-50.png

dsilverthorn likes this.
  2. jjxtra

jjxtra

Does demo scene multiple camera work for you?

3. CarpeFunSoftware

CarpeFunSoftware

Looks like it:
    upload_2019-5-8_14-55-9.png

I wouldn't worry about it if it isn't causing you [any more] support issues...it was just a dumb move on my part. I'm not asking for any changes. :) But you should be able to duplicate it from the above post's description. Does that not happen for you?

4. jjxtra

jjxtra

I think it was because your second camera did not have clear mode set to solid color.

5. CarpeFunSoftware

CarpeFunSoftware

Yep. Skybox overwrote. Makes sense.
    Put it to solid color, and it works. It's interesting, though, that a solid color (alpha 1) doesn't overwrite, but the skybox does. However that works. There's WM command buffers on both cameras.

Anyway, like I said, not worried about it. :)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  6. jjxtra

jjxtra

The clouds render after forward opaque and skybox renders after that. Why Unity decided to not render the skybox after depth buffer instead is beyond me.

CarpeFunSoftware likes this.
  7. CarpeFunSoftware

CarpeFunSoftware

I assume so the forward opaque can write to the depth buffer, then skybox skips those pixels. I know you know that, so I must be misunderstanding you. I also assume WM updates the depth buffer while writing clouds, since you indicate it isn't doing transparent render queue. So it is "after depth buffer" in a sense, it's a completed depth buffer, but before transparency stuffis.

You allow the queue setting in FS cloud script, might be fun for me to play with someday.

Edit: Removed link

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  8. jjxtra

jjxtra

The cloud shadows are written to the screen space shadow buffer, which happens after the depth buffer.

9. CarpeFunSoftware

CarpeFunSoftware

Interesting. Wasn't thinking about the shadows though, but it makes sense.

10. jjxtra

jjxtra

Today's package also fixes a selection issue in the editor. Apparently doing Graphics.Blit in camera pre cull brought the editor to its knees so I have switched to command buffer for the weather map of the clouds.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  11. jjxtra

jjxtra

Procedural Lightning now has an upgrade to Weather Maker, if you own procedural lightning but not Weather Maker, you can upgrade minus the price you paid for procedural lightning

dsilverthorn likes this.
  12. jjxtra

jjxtra

I'm pleased to announce that Weather Maker 5.6.4 is out with open weather map integration. Simply setup a few parameters and an API key and Weather Maker will sync weather with open weather map!

13. Alakryon

Alakryon

Hi, and first of all let me say thank you for your awesome work.
    I need a little help though related to the water planes, especially about the ocean shader.
    I have Gaia and Weather Maker set up, and the waves of the ocean shader are far too big for the Gaia terrain:

How can I "downscale" the whole ocean prefab, like adding more tiling, multiply the UV coords or something, to have the same effect of ocean, but in a smaller scale? Tried to edit the Wave parameters, but it did not solved the problem, the big waves remain still too big.

14. jjxtra

jjxtra

The water has a y depth camera script that should be reducing wave heights close to land. Are you using the water prefab? If so this should be built in and reduce wave height near land.

Other ideas are to tile the water in a 3x3 grid maybe and reduce the transform scale?

Let me know if it helps.

15. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

There is new lightning for Weather Maker?!

16. jjxtra

jjxtra

No new lightning, the last announcement was open weather map, which is a real-time weather api for lat/lon or place name lookup. It then sets your weather maker profile based on the weather from the api.

17. jjxtra

jjxtra

hopeful likes this.
  18. jjxtra

jjxtra

19. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I put in my vote!

20. NightcoreLV

NightcoreLV

is there any plan integrade to Playmaker?

dsilverthorn likes this.
  21. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thank you kind sir!

22. jjxtra

jjxtra

I don't have any plans, Weather Maker is fairly simple at this point. Just configure your profiles to look how you want and drag the prefab in your first scene. Activate the global weather zone for random weather.

What kinds of things were you thinking play maker might be useful for?

23. jjxtra

jjxtra

Happy Cloud Saturday Everyone!

upload_2019-5-11_15-20-28.png

24. jjxtra

jjxtra

25. NightcoreLV

NightcoreLV

Weather Maker is good asset but lacks some event handler and controls that allow me to handle it, that`s also why i cant switch from Enviro to Weather Maker

here is some event handler and Playmaker actions from Enviro

Events:

Playmaker Actions

dsilverthorn and hopeful like this.
  26. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will add this tomorrow then and send an update.

27. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, I'm looking for a water that can render reflection in screen-space. All of the water solution out there when reflection is turned on, things starts to crawl as it has to render the whole scene twice. I know it's not as easy as it sounds but what I'm looking for is not the accurate solution but approximate solution. Please let me know if your water can support it. Thanks.

28. jjxtra

jjxtra

I’m planning on this for my water. No ETA yet.

29. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 5.6.5 is out with PlayMaker integration and a lot of new events on WeatherMakerScript for date/time and weather profile/zone changes.

30. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks Jeff!
    I just picked up playmaker too!

31. jjxtra

jjxtra

Awesome, I talked to one of Playmaker devs at Unite a few years ago. Super cool guy and put up with my questions for 30 minutes :)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  32. chrisk

chrisk

Cool! This will make Weather Maker very special. BTW, I'm using LWRP. Thanks.

33. Alakryon

Alakryon

Yes I am using the water prefab, and set the layermask to let the depth script to work with the terrain, but no difference. I am now experimenting with the material settings related to the waves, after turned out the wind control on the water profile. Tweaking the material settings could be a solution to my problem, but the depth script still do not seems to alter anything, no difference in the waves on the deep sea and on the shoreline.

34. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@jjxtra Lets see the best water Unity has ever seen for 6.0!

dsilverthorn and StevenPicard like this.
  35. jjxtra

jjxtra

I have had multiple people suggest the water be a separate asset. So that is probably what I will do, Q4 2019 or Q1 2020 ETA on that. I will probably start with something like crest ocean (MIT license) and then do some heavy modifications to make it more like sea of thieves :)

CarpeFunSoftware likes this.
  36. jjxtra

jjxtra

Looks like I need to add some debugging for the water height, I will look into it.

37. jjxtra

jjxtra

On the water prefab is a depth camera script. When you start the player if you open up that script it has a property for the captured depth texture. Does that texture look correct to you?

38. jjxtra

jjxtra

Last day of madness sale is tomorrow. If you haven't already, make sure to grab Weather Maker (and some of the other great assets on sale) before midnight PST on May 15th!

39. jjxtra

jjxtra

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  40. Alakryon

Alakryon

After checked this texture in runtime, it shows the terrain as only about an 1-2 pixel dot in the middle of the big black image, so it seems the depth camera takes a very big image of the scene relative to the terrain. How can it be narrowed down?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  41. jjxtra

jjxtra

This makes sense for a large body of water with just a bit of land. Can you try shrinking your water just as a test? In the future I am planning on making a proper ocean asset to take care of this.

42. jjxtra

jjxtra

Crest Ocean + Weather Maker a beautiful combination.

43. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

You can make better water.... just sayin.

44. Alakryon

Alakryon

The water is barelly bigger than the terrain, it is 2048x2048 in size, this is why I do not understand. Maybe something even bigger is get into calculations by the depth camera? For example the Weather Maker skybox?

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  45. jjxtra

jjxtra

Interesting, ok I will have a look and get back.

46. razzraziel

razzraziel

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  47. GlaireDaggers

GlaireDaggers

Just bought this yesterday for a little thing I'm working on. This should be quite useful, quite enjoying the Aurora Borealis feature actually ;)

However, seems like the temporal filter for the clouds isn't working right? I imagine (based on my understanding and old probably inferior attempt at implementing that Horizon Zero Dawn paper) if I pick Two By Two it should essentially be rendering at half resolution and sort of "filling in" one sample of every 2x2 square of pixels in the render target, so while it renders at half resolution it fills in a higher-res buffer and the reduced render resolution is practically imperceptible.

Instead, however, it appears to just downgrade the resolution and cause shaking / flickering pixels. I imagine something's going wrong with that "filling in" bit. It's rendering at reduced resolution correctly, it's adding a sort of sub-pixel offset to account for offset into the 2x2 square (thus the flickering/shaking), but then it just seems to upsample that as-is?

I can just render at reduced res without the temporal filter for now, but would be nice to get that working. Currently on Unity 2018.3.6f1 if it helps, Windows 10, DX11 (GTX 1060)

On a side note, is there any way I can check approximately how much cloud cover is obscuring the main directional light, or maybe sample cloud cover at world position from a shader?
    I have a custom GI solution I've been working on for this project, and I may need to scale bounce lighting based on cloud shadows to look correct

48. jjxtra

jjxtra

I haven't tested caustics. Here is my fork: https://github.com/DigitalRuby/crest-oceanrender I'll merge in their fixes once they nail it down.

49. jjxtra

jjxtra

On the full screen cloud object, temporal reprojection material you can change from blur to sharp mode by setting the blur mode to 1. Watch out for artifacts for fast moving lights like lightning or fast day/night changes.

Blur mode 0 does a reprojection and a blur combined. It is not the same as just downsampling. You can test this by changing the performance profile and doing quarter downsample and no reprojection vs. no downsample and 4x4 reprojection. 4x4 reprojection looks much better.

Blur mode 1 does sharp reprojection with very little blurring, but it does not update every pixel every frame, which can cause some artifacts.

50. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sending a 5.6.7 refresh today with an auto bounds option for the water y depth script. You can turn this off and set the orthographic size to taste if you want a higher resolution sampling of y depth near land.

dsilverthorn likes this.