Search Unity

☁ Weather Maker ☁ AAA Clouds, Sky, Weather, Water, Volumetric Light & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jjxtra, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jjxtra

jjxtra

Awesome. You will need to use OpenGL rendering in player settings. Metal has broken tex3D and some tex2D lod calls. Unity is aware of the bug and hopefully fixing it.

SickaGames1 likes this.
  2. jjxtra

jjxtra

I am still working on LWRP support, alas it is quite buggy. There are several show-stopping bugs in the LWRP pipeline code that prevent some command buffers from executing properly.

Several other features are glaringly missing such as the ability to capture the cascade shadowmap (needed for volumetric fog sun/moon shadows).

I have sent a bug report to Unity and hope they will fix and add this as soon as they can.

Karearea likes this.
  3. jjxtra

jjxtra

A few more cloud screenshots for your Saturday enjoyment:

upload_2019-4-27_8-37-57.png

upload_2019-4-27_8-38-7.png

upload_2019-4-27_8-38-18.png

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  4. mags007

mags007

Hey, how can I stop weather maker from running in a separated scene when in play mode (Don't destroy on Load), we have multi scene setup, but when switching to a different level, weather maker is drag in it, copying several times. If there's a way to make it load on the same scene that was implemented that would be great. I know previous versions (5.0.0) had that, thanks in advanced.

5. jjxtra

jjxtra

IsPermanent = false

6. mags007

mags007

Oh thanks, yes that's perfect it was right in front of me all the time :)

7. jjxtra

jjxtra

Happy to help, good luck on your game!

StevenPicard likes this.
  8. jjxtra

jjxtra

Early volumetric particle work. This will power improved fly-through and low hanging clouds in a few months. The performance *should* be as good, maybe even a little better for sparse clouds.

upload_2019-4-30_13-21-55.png

9. jjxtra

jjxtra

Another one...

upload_2019-4-30_13-31-9.png

hopeful and StevenPicard like this.
  10. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I believe your water can do single pass VR? It would be cool if you extended it to support rivers and streams. I know this is primarily a sky component but your water asset is still quite good.

DrOcto and dsilverthorn like this.
  11. jjxtra

jjxtra

It can yes. If there is enough demand I will definitely expand the water capabilities for sure :)

12. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Give me advanced water components anyday!

DrOcto, dsilverthorn and StevenPicard like this.
  13. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I’ll third the motion for more water features. :)

DrOcto and StevenPicard like this.
  14. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker is 50% off right now! Get it while the May Madness sale lasts!

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  15. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    does this work on Webgl, unity 2018.3 ?
    thx.

16. jjxtra

jjxtra

Hi there! The volumetric clouds will not work, because 3D texture lookups in shaders are completely broken on WebGL (and Metal on MAC/iOS). So I do not officially support WebGL at this time as it is too buggy and limited. The Weather Maker asset store page has this limitation in the description at the bottom. :)

17. shwa

shwa

Digging down further into Weather Maker. Mac OS X. OpenGL.
    I like it.

Clouds look good. Very good.
    I could see scenarios where i'd want them crisper / less soft.
    Another weather system asset has a choice for 'flat clouds', which look crisper.

Not seeing stars at night. ?
    Moon looks good.

Is there a way to speed up time?
    Set the length of time for a 24 hour day: e.g. 10 minutes for a full day.

Is there a key press to hide and show the weather system menu during runtime?

Thx!

18. jjxtra

jjxtra

If you turn the performance profile or unity quality levels to the fast and fastest profiles then only flat clouds show. Alternatively you can disable volumetric clouds in any performance profile or set the volumetric cloud layer to enable flat layer one. If you do that you may want to turn off the sun shafts as they will make things very bright.

Are you in gamma color space? If so you can try turning up the brightness of the night sky on the sky sphere profile. Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

19. shwa

shwa

Ok, re clouds.

Yes, Gamma.
    Turned up every setting to max on the weathermakerskyspherematerial.
    night remains dark,
    very very few faint stars near the moon.
    ?
    Thx.

20. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    In a project with 4 different scenes.
    1 uses weather maker.

when i first go into the scene that has WM, lighting is fine.
    if i go to another scene, and come back, lighting from that other scene seems to be getting added to the brightness of the WM scene.
    Or, if i am in the wm scene, and use the menu to come back to the same wm scene, that lighting issue is also there.

in both cases, new errors crop up.

e.g
    Multiple instances of DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerSkyManagerScript detected, this is not supported
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogErrorFormat(String, Object[])
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerScript:EnsureInstance(MonoBehaviour, WeatherMakerSkyManagerScript&) (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerScript.cs:738)
    DigitalRuby.WeatherMaker.WeatherMakerSkyManagerScript:OnEnable() (at Assets/WeatherMaker/Prefab/Scripts/Manager/WeatherMakerSkyManagerScript.cs:45)

21. shwa

shwa

Was able to speed up time using the profile related to DayNightCycle :
    WeatherMakerDayNightCycleProfile_Default
    /Great.

Still trying to see how one can hide and then make re-appear the left/side panel control system.

Is there built in functionality to do this?

I've done this using javascript on text fields in the past, but not in c# on a control system.

Thx.

22. xoodZ

xoodZ

Hello!
    First of all, thanks for this excellent asset.
    But I get a problem when use it in VR. Reproduced as follows:
    1. Create a new project in 2019.1
    2. Importing WeatherMaker
    3. Launch the demo scene - everything works well
    4. Import Steam VR 2.0
    5. Accept all recommendations Steam (launch in the window and linear color)
    6. Launch any demo scene of WeatherMaker and get an mirrored picture of clouds, fog and other things (screenshot)

Attached Files:

23. xoodZ

xoodZ

Could this be because the order of execution of scripts was changed by Steam VR?

Attached Files:

24. CarpeFunSoftware

CarpeFunSoftware

I suspect it's something with 2019.1.x.
    I'm getting a similar thing where the skybox in game view has no clouds, but the scene view does. And not using VR. Test project.

I've also seen a situation where the weather map texture is blank and the entire skybox is a uniform black/gray. That's in a project that's older/larger and been migrated (but WM is a new addition).

I have other test projects where it works.
    Can't isolate the issue. (yet) Maybe as I get to know it better, I can get some shader debugging going and figure it out.

BTW, nice asset in general. I'm just having challenges getting it to work with the latest unity distro.
    I should probably run some test cases with other unity versions and see if I can isolate things.

25. shwa

shwa

Weather Maker is quite a beautiful experience/asset.

I'm still trying to solve the lighting getting brighter issue, when i come back to the the WM scene, in a 4 scene project.
    1. The lighting gets brighter each time i come back.
    2. Getting error messages that multiple instances of scripts exist.

I am speculating that i need to destroy/remove legacy code/objects/scripts when i'm reloading the scene.

Trying to find current c# code to do this.
    A reset function/, or upon scene load,... destroy xyz, etc.

I had this working properly in a unity 5 project with javascript, but am a bit stumped with WM and this, at the moment.

Any suggestions as to keywords i should search for related to this?

Thx!

26. shwa

shwa

This is how i'm loading my scene with Weather Maker in it.

I'm figuring i need to add some code to flush the cache, destroy previous instances of the scene or code, as players can come back to this scene in the project i'm building.

I'm speculating the solution may be quite simple, if i'm on the right track here. Thx.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;
    3. public class GoScene1 : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     void Update()
    6.     {
    7.         if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Alpha1))
    8.         {
    9.             SceneManager.LoadScene(2);
    10.         }
    12.     }
    13. }

27. jjxtra

jjxtra

The mirror image appears to be a Unity 2019 bug. I don't see it in earlier versions with the exact same code and SteamVR. I've sent them a bug report, I would suggest you do the same.

Many other assets I've tried have the same issue.

28. jjxtra

jjxtra

Easiest thing is to make sure the Weather Maker prefab is only added to your very first scene. You can deactivate the Weather Maker prefab if this is a menu scene or loading screen which does not need Weather Maker. Then in subsequent scenes, just make sure you activate the Weather Maker prefab if needed, and be sure to deactivate if you ever go back to the main menu screen, etc. Any other scene should not have the Weather Maker prefab in it. By default, Weather Maker will set itself to live forever. You can disable this by setting IsPermanent to false on the WeatherMakerScript (root of prefab).

29. jjxtra

jjxtra

Let me know if you find anything. I know that if you add LWRP or HDRP it will turn gray. I am still working on support for LWRP but no ETA on completion, as it is still quite new / buggy.

CarpeFunSoftware likes this.
  30. jjxtra

jjxtra

You can use ctrl + ~ to hide the side panel. But for shipping your game I would suggest just delete it entirely.

31. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

When did you say that 6.0 will be out?

32. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will probably revisit water completely fresh, using some sort of volumetric shader. I am not overly thrilled with the water I have now. It is fine, works great, but the architecture at this point is not where I want it. It is not as nice as the volumetric clouds. My goal would be to get water like sea of thieves, but this would require starting from scratch I think.

*EDIT* Although multiple people have mentioned crest ocean, it looks pretty decent and is somebodies side project that they've released under MIT license so I may just use that and customize a bit.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  33. jjxtra

jjxtra

Did you ever get this sorted out? I tried gamma stars came out OK. You can send the project if you are able, email support@digitalruby.com.

34. CarpeFunSoftware

CarpeFunSoftware

LWRP thing confirmed and fixed. For anyone reading this that gets a gray skysphere, when you remove LWRP and core and shader graph, make sure you go in and remove the LWRP DEFINE in Project Settings->Player->Scripting Define Symbols. Removing the packages in package manager didn't remove the define.

Former gray sphere now has skybox and beautiful clouds. :) :) :)

As to the other issue, if I should run across anything I'll be sure to post. I have a small isolated test project if you want it. I probably hosed something up, IDK. Imported today's update from the asset store (5.6.2), situation persists.

Thanks for the nice asset. :) Keep up the good work. :)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  35. jjxtra

jjxtra

1-2 months, assuming Unity fixes some show stopping bugs in LWRP which I have notified them about.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  36. shwa

shwa

Tx, but not sorted using a Gamma build.

But, may switch to Linear due to archviz models requirement.
    so, interesting enough, just ran a test doing my build in linear mode, and Now can see the stars.!

tx for keypress info,
    and key point about:

"You can disable this by setting IsPermanent to false on the WeatherMakerScript (root of prefab)."

That fixed the issue i was having!
    Thanks so much, jjxtra, as the problem was driving me cuckoo.

37. hopeful

hopeful

There is also Community Ocean, FWIW.

38. jjxtra

jjxtra

Wow that one looks good as well, I will have to play with it!

39. Vincent454

Vincent454

I'd like the water to be standalone, as a seperate asset, don't want this one to get too bloated with features most people probably don't need.
    The asset store really needs a good water asset and if you create one that looks like sea of thieves, I would buy it instantly!

40. CarpeFunSoftware

CarpeFunSoftware

I found my error in my test scene. I had dragged in the WeatherMakerPlayer prefab, but somehow didn't remove my other camera tagged "MainCamera". So having two cameras can recreate the "problem". IDK if VR's two camera views will cause something similar. So disregarding my stupidity, it may help to recreate issues with VR even if not using VR ;) Or maybe this is a different issue altogether.

At least the fix is simple, just don't do stupid user tricks. :p

Anyway, it can be recreated by simply adding a 2nd camera to any test scene and tagging it MainCamera.
    upload_2019-5-7_6-37-41.png

Removed duplicate camera and entered play mode:
    upload_2019-5-7_6-40-13.png

So my "Duh". But maybe some "hints" as to where to start sniffing around on the VR thing. I think the results were intermittent in play mode if the camera was not tagged "MainCamera".

I was able to do this in 2018.3.12 as well as 2019.1.1. IDK that anything should change on WM's end, but maybe a check for multiple cameras in the ConfigurationPrefab would be harmless and not impact the main-code, not sure it's worth it though. At any rate, this post might save someone else some time if they encounter this situation.

So duh. :oops: But I'm willing to admit my error if it helps others. :)

41. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sure thing great idea, will do it and have integration with Weather Maker. Maybe by end of year if things go well.

42. jjxtra

jjxtra

I will add a Camera.main duplicate check, great idea!

43. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Jeff,

I wanted to thank you for adding your asset to the sale (Even though I already own it) at a true 50% off!

I'm sure like others do, I watch for the assets I want to go on sale (so I can afford it) and some of the ones I had been watching did go on sale.

But when I saw that some of the other asset prices were increased 2 weeks before the sale, so the 50% off is not really 50% off, it did make me think twice about those developers and their integrity and whether I really wanted their asset. (I decided I did not) Maybe it's just me, but that does make a huge impact on where I spend my money. Out of curiosity, I checked yours and Weather Maker's price had not changed before the sale. I am relieved.

I am so glad that you did not do the price hike, which in my eyes says a great deal about you and how you operate your business and how you treat your customers!

I bought Weather Maker a couple of years ago and have been loving how much it has grown and improved with every update. And you have answered my questions and even helped troubleshoot problems that ended up not being your issue at all. Top notch customer service.

Keep up the great work!
    Thank You for being there for us and for treating every question with kindness.

Weather Maker was one of the first assets I bought when I started with Unity and your kindness in helping with my questions (which came mostly from not knowing anything about Unity) has meant a lot. Especially after not getting the same treatment from other developers. Thanks for everything. I wish you great success and will do what I can to help spread the word!

David

44. jjxtra

jjxtra

Thanks David that means a lot. It's definitely a challenge surviving on selling Unity assets :) I appreciate your support and wish you the best on your game and look forward to playing it!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  45. jjxtra

jjxtra

Just a heads up, Unity corrupted my last package upload. There is a bug in the asset up-loader that is somewhat random and not super common that it does not get all the files properly. So I am re-uploading version 5.6.2 now. Please redownload if you are seeing null ref or other compile errors.

dsilverthorn and hopeful like this.
  46. jjxtra

jjxtra

Last update has the MainCamera duplicate check in it. Let me know if you see it with your two MainCamera setup.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  47. jjxtra

jjxtra

Sure thing. I will make it separate, with standard and hopefully LWRP and HDRP support. Probably end of year or 1H 2020 is my guess.

48. gtox

gtox

I bought WeatherMaker on a hunch very early on, instead of some of the more established assets, and I'm really happy I did - the development progress has been incredible.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  49. jjxtra

jjxtra

So glad you are getting good use out of it, post some screenshots of your game if you like :)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  50. jjxtra

jjxtra

Weather Maker 5.6.3 is released with a hacky work-around for Unity 2019 VR bug causing rendering upside down. At some point Unity may fix this bug and it will break again and then I will remove this hack.

dsilverthorn likes this.